Led Zeppelin

Started by jokerspath, July 16, 2003, 09:12:26 AM

mogwai

Quote from: Neil on September 13, 2007, 12:32:01 PMnot to disrespect you here, but have you ever heard music, looked at a drum kit, touched the fretboard of a guitar, tapped along a beat? ever been a real boy, i mean seriously, page and jones are two of the greatest musicians alive...saying overrated is almost just uneducated, you can not like them all you want, i just don't understand not respecting them...

i apologize to stefen about led zeppelin playing again because it's a charity event. there's no denying they're doing something against a good cause. but why rehash an old dinosaur (led zeppelin) AND play without the universe's best fucking drummer of all motherfucking time??? i can imagine robert plant's cock falling out of his tight jeans. jimmy page stuck in a ten minute guitar solo. and john paul jones trying get some attention by at least getting one spotlight shun on him.

Stefen

Hey, that's what I said!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

mogwai

squints

recently my band was interviewed on the state's alternative radio station, 94.7 The Buzz (a clear channel station a.k.a. lots and lots of bullshit music, but hey we're a struggling band..give us a break?) we were promoting a couple of new songs and our latest show with forgotten lame-ass punk band The Ataris. We dropped a few underhanded "has-been" comments on the show and the DJ asked us "So who would you guys prefer to open up for?" and we responded with "um....Zeppelin...yeah Zeppelin totally"

the next day i read this thread.

will our dream come true?

the answer is: most definitely not....
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Neil

john is untouchable, I agree...but i mean Jason is damn good, so I really don't have a problem with that...I'm just stuck in this thing where music is about the "now", it's just too beautiful to not go forth with something like this. just like when Lennon was asked the point of rock n roll, he said "to be here now"

that moment, I'm almost positive plants' penis will flail right on out, but regardless, sharing the stage with some men who spent time together that no one will ever know about is what I'm talking about. who else could play them better anyways, some of those fucking songs man, they just shouldn't be denied... and I'm willing to bet that page will rip that shit as hard as ever.

Honestly I'm not really that hard up on zeppelin, but weather you like it or not it's damn amazing...they covered alot of ground. I'm just so in love music, if you want to get it out, get that shit out...i was just pretty much saying that i could only view it as positive thing, i mean fuck, if all they did was jam that would be perfect.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

MacGuffin

No Led Zeppelin Tour After London Show, Robert Plant Says
Statement comes just days after Dave Grohl offered his drumming services for a Zep tour.
Source: MTV

Ever since the three living members of Led Zeppelin confirmed earlier this month that they'll be reuniting for a gig at the O2 Arena in London on November 26, the rumor mill has been rife with speculation that the band — frontman Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist John Paul Jones, with Jason Bonham filling in on drums for his late father, John — would follow the appearance with a full-blown tour.

But that won't be happening, Plant told British music mag Uncut.

He told the mag that November's concert — in honor of Ahmet Ertegun, who signed the band to Atlantic Records in 1969 and died last year at the age of 83 — will be a one-time deal: "There'll be one show and that'll be it," he's quoted as saying. The benefit concert will also feature performances by other Atlantic artists past and present, including Who's Pete Townshend, Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings, Paolo Nutini and Foreigner.

"We need to do one last great show because we've done some shows and they've been crap," Plant said.

The group disbanded after John Bonham's death from alcohol poisoning in 1980. Plant, Page and Jones performed at Live Aid in 1985 (with Phil Collins and Chic's Tony Thompson tag-teaming on drums) and at the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary show in 1988 with Jason Bonham; they also performed at Jason's wedding. Page and Plant joined forces for two albums and a world tour in the mid-'90s and have performed together sporadically over the years.

However, Plant asserted that there will be no tour after the forthcoming show. "Not for me," he told the mag. "But I can't speak for anyone else."

The singer said he's actually looking forward to bringing his music career to a close. "I know I'm getting on," he said. "When I do come back from touring, I'm shocked to find a lot of my mates tend to be going to bed far too early, and that means I should probably be doing the same. Maybe I should stop having a good time and get old." The singer recently collaborated with bluegrass artist Alison Krauss on an album called Raising Sand, which comes out next month.

Plant's comments came just days after Foo Fighter frontman Dave Grohl apparently volunteered his services for just such a tour. After saying that he plans to sneak his way into the long-sold-out London show, the former Nirvana drummer added that he wouldn't mind manning the kit for Zep if needed.

"[I am] at their beck and call," he told British music weekly the New Musical Express, adding that if he were asked to play with the Zeppelin, "What the f--- do you think I'd be saying? I'd say, 'Hey [Foo Fighters bandmates] Chris [Shiflett] and Taylor [Hawkins], let's take a little break for a few days, I'll see ya later!' But I don't expect that to happen."

Grohl further acknowledged that Jason Bonham is the perfect choice to replace his father: "Jason should be the one. Everyone knows that. He's a f---ing phenomenal drummer."

Grohl's publicist did not confirm the NME quotes specifically, but noted that he's heard the drummer express great enthusiasm at the prospect of playing with Zeppelin.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Redlum

I've just got tickets for Dec 10th. I don't know whether they're just selling off the cheap seats now but I got an e-mail with a pass code last night.

It's a lot of money so I was hesitant at first but my mum offered half as my Christmas present. The hard thing now will be picking which of my friends gets the spare.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

Led Zeppelin Break Out Classics, Play A Song Live For The First Time At Reunion Show: Report
Band performed 16 songs — including 'Stairway to Heaven,' 'Black Dog' and 'Rock and Roll' — at legendary show.
Source: MTV

In what will likely go down as one of the biggest reunion shows of all time, Led Zeppelin reportedly thrilled fans with 16 classic songs, including one they had never played live before, at London's O2 arena, Billboard.com reports.

It was the first full concert performance by the group — which consists of Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and recent addition Jason Bonham (son of deceased drummer John Bonham) — since 1980. The concert acted as a memorial for late Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun, who helped launch Led Zeppelin's career and passed away late last year.

The principal Zep set list was reportedly as follows: "Good Times, Bad Times," "Ramble On," "Black Dog," "In My Time of Dying," "For Your Life," "Trampled Underfoot," "Nobody's Fault but Mine," "No Quarter," "Since I've Been Lovin' You," "Dazed and Confused," "Stairway to Heaven," "The Song Remains the Same," "Misty Mountain Hop" and "Kashmir." According to the site, the group then treated the crowd to a two-song encore: "Whole Lotta Love" and "Rock and Roll." The band had never played "For Your Life" before.

"They're starting to look tired now but that riff is still big enough to fill the 02," a person who reportedly attended the show said, according to Billboard.com, during the band's performance of "Kashmir." Once they came back and broke out "Whole Lotta Love," the crowd went "ballistic," the source said.

The show also reportedly featured performances by Foreigner, as well as former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman, who was joined by his Rhythm Kings, as well as Paolo Nutini and Paul Rodgers. Net proceeds from the concert will go to the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund, which provides scholarships for children.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Led Zep prepared to tour again: Page

Led Zeppelin are ready for a world tour after their eagerly awaited reunion, but it won't be until later this year at the earliest, lead guitarist Jimmy Page said Monday.

The British hard rock legends last month put on a two-hour concert at London's 02 Arena for 20,000 lucky fans and speculation has swirled of a fully fledged world tour.

Page, visiting Tokyo to promote a greatest hits album, acknowledged that the three surviving members of the iconic 1970s band had laid the groundwork for a world tour.

"The amount of work that we put into the 02," Page told reporters, was "what you put into a world tour."

But he refused to be pinned to any definite plans, saying that any world tour would depend on frontman Robert Plant's schedule.

Plant "has a parallel project and he's really busy with that, certainly until September," Page said.

The band played some of their classics -- from "Stairway to Heaven" to "Whole Lotta Love," and "The Song Remains the Same" -- at their December 10 concert in London.

The gig came 27 years after the band split up following the death of drummer John Bonham.

The London concert was a tribute to Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun, who signed the band four decades ago and died in 2006. Most fans had assumed they would never take the stage again.

Plant had talked about doing "one last, great show" and insisted it will not be followed by a tour. But Page and bassist Paul Jones have dropped hints that there could be more.

Skeleton FilmWorks