THE CRITICS - SIXTIES-CINEPHILIA STYLE

Started by godardian, May 16, 2003, 01:02:04 PM

SoNowThen

Did you know Godard used to review old films based on how good they made the leading lady look? Ha! Perfect. You guys gotta get that collected book on Godard criticism before and writings during his early filmmaking career. I can't remember the title, though. Could be Godard On Godard, but I'm not sure.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: SoNowThenDid you know Godard used to review old films based on how good they made the leading lady look? Ha! Perfect. You guys gotta get that collected book on Godard criticism before and writings during his early filmmaking career. I can't remember the title, though. Could be Godard On Godard, but I'm not sure.

all great directers have a thing for certain actresses and they love to film them looking poetic

look at soderbergh and that scene with juila roberts coming down the stairs in ocean 11

or tarantino shooting pam grier coming out of jail

godardian

Quote from: Hot Puerto Rican Love
Quote from: SoNowThenDid you know Godard used to review old films based on how good they made the leading lady look? Ha! Perfect. You guys gotta get that collected book on Godard criticism before and writings during his early filmmaking career. I can't remember the title, though. Could be Godard On Godard, but I'm not sure.

all great directers have a thing for certain actresses and they love to film them looking poetic

Or actors, i.e. the way Jean Cocteau shot Jean Marais in Orpheus, or the way Todd Haynes shot James Lyons in Poison. Or van Sant with Dillon. And Phoenix. And Reeves.

In the interest of equal time.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Or Hitchcock and the blonde star that happened to be in that respective film he was shooting.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffinOr Hitchcock and the blonde star that happened to be in that respective film he was shooting.

Yeah... the camera has rarely been so rivetingly sadistic. In this respect- the camera seeming to dominate and ravish its subjects- Kubrick took the reins from Hitchock, seems to me.

Brian de Palma is to Nancy Allen as Godard was to Karina, no? Including the intense collaboration AND the divorce and subsequent near-disappearance of said actress.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Quote from: MacGuffinOr Hitchcock and the blonde star that happened to be in that respective film he was shooting.

what was his personal life like'

because he looks so stuffy , but his films show real passion

MacGuffin

Quote from: Hot Puerto Rican Lovewhat was his personal life like'

He was completely commited to his wife, Alma. In fact, if she liked a script, he didn't even need to read it. He trusted her that much. He was a big lover of food (obviously) and he loved to travel. He might have looked stuffy, but he did have a sick/dry sense of (black) humor.

But it wasn't hidden that he had a thing for his actresses, namely blondes. Stories go that when he found out about Vera Miles was pregnant and couldn't be cast in "Vertigo," he 'disowned' her. Same with Grace Kelly when she wed Price Rainier. He tried to use he for "Marnie," but wouldn't/couldn't.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Hot Puerto Rican Lovewhat was his personal life like'

He was completely commited to his wife, Alma. In fact, if she liked a script, he didn't even need to read it. He trusted her that much. He was a big lover of food (obviously) and he loved to travel. He might have looked stuffy, but he did have a sick/dry sense of (black) humor.

But it wasn't hidden that he had a thing for his actresses, namely blondes. Stories go that when he found out about Vera Miles was pregnant and couldn't be cast in "Vertigo," he 'disowned' her. Same with Grace Kelly when she wed Price Rainier. He tried to use he for "Marnie," but wouldn't/couldn't.

i do not know much about his personal life but i do want to learn, whats the best documentry on him

MacGuffin

Quote from: Hot Puerto Rican Lovei do not know much about his personal life but i do want to learn, whats the best documentry on him
This a good one:
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0202907

Unfortunatly, it's not on video. I've only seen it played on cable, but you want to hear about those stories read this:

Skeleton FilmWorks