Favourite Lynch Film

Started by phil marlowe, January 21, 2003, 05:10:20 PM

Pubrick

1. Mully D (almost overrated but not quite, justifies his entire oeuvre)
2. The Straight Story (underrated classic and in the lynch universe his most experimental film.. his vision filtered through lucidity results in a crystallized form where everything fits together perfectly mechanically, instead of the usual unwieldy mass navigable only through instinct. The one I've watched the most.)
3. Blue Velvet (best non Kub film of the eighties)

4. High Lostway (if he'd never made mully d we'd still be scratching our heads about this. It might have even turned into his first INLAND EMPIRE. but I doubt it, this feels like it was made by professionals)
5. Eraserhead (I still think Kub was trolling when he said this was his favourite film, but at the time I probly would've agreed.. not student film-ish at all. The most sophisticated amateur film ever made, even with no budget, the ideas and atmosphere give it a million dollar feel)
6. TP: FWWM (it's no Ronnie Rocket, but the electricity almost makes up for it)

7. Wild@heart.com ( probly due for a rediscovery, I'm just never in the mood for it)
8 Elephant Man (great title, not much else)
9. Dune (the worst film to come out of a genius mind since To The Wonder)

10. INLAND EMPIRE (worse than Dune and without any of the excuses)
under the paving stones.

Alexandro

1. Mullholland Dr.
2. The Straight Story (agree with everything Pubrick said, and it's highly emotional too)
3. Blue Velvet
4. The Elephant Man (this is just a beautiful horror film; uncomfortable to watch, it creates a universe all it's own, the constant noise from fabrics, the smoke and electricity, a world in the midst of an industrial revolution)
5. Eraserhead (yeah, this doesn't feel at all like a student film)
6. Lost Highway
7. Inland Empire (I don't hate it as much, but it's been impossible for me to see it complete again after two views...it's just too much)

Reel

You guys are fucking me about the Straight Story, right? No... just kidding. I liked it a lot, just figured you would go for his more visceral stuff, but P's explanation of why it works is really good.

Let's all give it a look see

Eraserhead, too. While we're at it

brockly

i've never ranked his movies. i'm in that mood...

1. Twin Peaks FWWM: absolutely spellbinding. to me it's about inability to apprehend truth. nightmares whitewash reality because there's no way to rationalise madness, especially when it comes to somebody you love and who loves you. what good is truth when it controverts love? it's a deeply sad movie and its impact on me only goes deeper with repeated viewings. personally, i don't see this as a prequel or a conclusion to the tv series but rather a reinterpretation. the entire show was just prepping and paving the way for this masterpiece.
2. Mulholland Drive: for a long time it was my favourite movie and it's still up there, but through no fault of its own it's just not as focused as FWWM. i still think lynch's approach at converting the pilot to a feature is one of the greatest marvals in cinematic history. the last 40 minutes are beyond amazing.
3. Lost Highway: it's been a while, need to watch it again. i don't really have much to say about it, other than i think it's an amazing ride and absolutely masterful in creating a foreboding atmosphere.

4. Inland Empire: loved it so much on the first two viewings. since then it's lost a lot of its impact. and much of it is kind of annoying. but i still love it.
5. The Straight Story: i agree with a lot of what Pubrick, but i don't quite like it as much as him.
6. Blue Velvet: used to be one of my favourite movies, but again it's just lost a lot of its resinance with me.
7. Eraserhead: i think it's very good.
8. Wild at Heart: it's been a while since i've seen it. i remember liking it quite a bit and thinking it was hilarious. might be higher (or lower) when i finally get around to rewatching it.
9. Elephant Man: i think it's alright.

haven't seen Dune.

BB

Quote from: Pubrick on September 19, 2012, 04:41:54 AM

9. Dune (the worst film to come out of a genius mind since To The Wonder)

Dy=3^2DR/3

Sleepless

The problem with Dune is that it is not the Dune that Lynch set out to make. There is a lot of seeds of Lynchian duality and opposites in the film but they're never really pursued, plus there's the discrepancy between the visuals and the audio (in terms of the characters' internal thoughts). When I look at the film now I can't help but see the potential there. I would have loved to see his vision realized without all the studio interference. Yes, it might still be a mess but it would have been the mess he wanted to make.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Reel

Quote from: brockly on September 24, 2012, 01:10:42 AM
1. Twin Peaks FWWM: absolutely spellbinding. to me it's about inability to apprehend truth. nightmares whitewash reality because there's no way to rationalise madness, especially when it comes to somebody you love and who loves you. what good is truth when it controverts love? it's a deeply sad movie and its impact on me only goes deeper with repeated viewings. personally, i don't see this as a prequel or a conclusion to the tv series but rather a reinterpretation. the entire show was just prepping and paving the way for this masterpiece.

xixax always makes me feel so less alone..

diggler

I just rewatched Wild at Heart the other week and it really holds up. Willem Dafoe's "fuck me" scene is still skin crawlingly tense. I still love that dolly shot of the two of them thrashing around in the field while the music transitions from metal to romantic strings. For all it's ghastliness, it's the sweetest, most optimistic film he's made.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

DBeyond

1. Inland Empire (Brilliant film. I've been haunted by this film since it came out in 2006. Still amazed by it nowadays and there little secrets in it that I haven't unblurred but that's the thrill to watch this movie)
2. Eraserhead (No words for this, it changed the world of cinema to me.)
3. Blue Velvet (Almost perfect)
4. Mulholland Drive (a grower, but it will never mean more to me than the above)
5. The Straight Story (The living proof that this man is an amazing director even without all his gadgets)
6. Wild At Heart (Another grower)
7. Lost Highway (I used to like it alot more, but others grew more on me. Still great though)
8. The Elephant Man (Profound)
9. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (I like it, but I don't like the pacing of the film, specially in the beginning)
10. Dune (This isn't a David Lynch film)