Dogville

Started by Weak2ndAct, July 12, 2003, 04:39:50 AM

kotte

Quote from: rustinglassThere is a portuguese critic that says:

"This is..........this is us!
Humanity at it's best."

I understand the anti-america feeling of the movie, but everyone is entitled to an opinion just as everyone is entitled to disagree with it.

But to say that his films are manipulative garbage just because you disagree with him... I mean would you have the same opinion if he had done this film on a serbian town in the 80s? No scots gave him shit when he made breaking the waves, nor did germans when he made europa, if anything, they praised him for making a good film.

If nothing else you can enjoy this film for it's technical treatment which is very good. And I must say that lars is a director that fully comprehends the technical side of filmaking as well as the emotional side and he is a genious on how to deal with actors.

This is what I wanted to say but...somehow I didn't  :)

modage

Quote from: rustinglassAnd I must say that lars is a director that fully comprehends the technical side of filmaking as well as the emotional side and he is a genious on how to deal with actors.

would the technical side have anything to do with using realistic looking locations, instead of filming a play?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

My local import video store just got a copy of Dogville. Should be seeing it within the week. Cannot wait.

Holden Pike

Yeah, my Russian DVD is in the mail and should be here this week. Dancer in the Dark alone is one of the most amazing movies I've ever seen and von Trier's perspective is always interesting if nothing else, so I'm definitely looking forward to getting my hands on Dogville.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream, it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film."
- Frank Capra

rustinglass

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: rustinglassAnd I must say that lars is a director that fully comprehends the technical side of filmaking as well as the emotional side and he is a genious on how to deal with actors.

would the technical side have anything to do with using realistic looking locations, instead of filming a play?

filming a play like this is harder than you think.
I have no idea how he did the lighting, how he made beautiful sunsets, how he made daylight, worked with te shadows. At night there is only light within the buildings, the leaves and snow only fall outside the buildings. The sound editing is just perfect...
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

SHAFTR

I have only seen Dancer in the Dark, so forgive me but...

Isn't part of the big Dogme manifesto about films not being made by directors but rather by a group of individuals and about the films not having stars in them.

1.)  Lars Von Trier's movies are always marketed as such.
2.)  Nicole Kidman?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

mutinyco

I don't think they're manipulative garbage because I disagree with his POV. I think they're manipulative because they ARE dramatically manipulative. Dancer in the Dark was more manipulative than every mid-80s Spielberg film combined. Oh, look at this poor blind woman, look at how she's misunderstood, how she's been framed for murder, how she chooses to die rather than let her son go blind...

The reason the Scotts had nothing to complain about is because Waves wasn't an indictment of Scottland. I don't have a problem with him criticizing America. I think that's GOOD. I just don't think he understands anything about America. That and the movie's painfully manipulative and tediously boring.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

rustinglass

dogville is not a dogme film and the only dogme film he made didn't have his name in the credits.

mutiny: dancer in the dark is based on a fairy tale, it has fairy tale-like characters.. would you consider hans christian andersen's books as manipulative garbage?

You can't say that he doesn't understand anything about america. I learned how america was during the depression in school when I was 13.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

mutinyco

His film isn't about the Depression. It's about now. Though set in the past. And I'm sure because you read about it in a book makes you well-informed enough to make an international movie about it...

Like I said, I welcome criticisms of America. I think it's a shithole right now. Only Von Trier doesn't get it.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SHAFTR

Quote from: rustinglassdogville is not a dogme film and the only dogme film he made didn't have his name in the credits.

Ohh,

well it does seem weird that he is championing this film movement and he has only made one dogme film?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

rustinglass

Well he created the dogme movement along with thomas vinterberg, you should see festen (my fav dogme film).

mutiny, what is it about his criticism that you don't welcome? what doesn't he get?

edit: you must be really pissed off about this:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0342272/
-Emir Kusturica

Ghostboy

The idea of Dogme as that it would be a cleansing experience...and you'd take what you'd learn from the experience and move on. No director has made more than one official Dogme film so far.

Anyway, I saw this this evening and thought it was amazing. I can understand Mutincyo dozing off in the first half hour or so, because it is a bit slow at the beginning, but other than that I found if pretty electrifying. Just on a technical level, the film is stunning -- Von Trier is able to pull of this conceptual type of filmmaking like no one else. It's fairly groundbreaking. And Kidman's performance, like Weak2ndAct said, is probably her finest acting to date. It's so exciting to see her maintain her integrity as an actress after becoming such a big star (even though she isn't doing Von Trier's followups, she's still committed blindly to working with Wong Kar Wai, which is just as exciting).

The actual story was great -- it follows the usual theme of put-upon women that Von Trier favors, but then takes it in such a radically different direction, going past the melodrama of Dancer In The Dark and into a realm of very black comedy. I have to think about it some more (and probably watch it again) before I can say whether it is entirely successful as a critique of America, although it is entirely valid as such. Either way, the film is one of the most original I've seen in a long time, and it is brilliant and invigorating, despite any allegorical issues it may or may not have.

Slick Shoes

Now I am Jealous Actually. You saw this in a theatre, Ghostboy?

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: GhostboyEither way, the film is one of the most original I've seen in a long time, and it is brilliant and invigorating, despite any allegorical issues it may or may not have.
Great review, Ghostboy.
Lately, I've been wondering whether I'm excited about seeing Dogville or not.

I believe I am.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

samsong

Quote from: Holden PikeYeah, my Russian DVD is in the mail and should be here this week. Dancer in the Dark alone is one of the most amazing movies I've ever seen and von Trier's perspective is always interesting if nothing else, so I'm definitely looking forward to getting my hands on Dogville.

Once you get it, let me know how it is.  I want to know whether it's worth buying or not.  Thanks..