The Last Temptation of Christ

Started by finlayr, April 16, 2003, 07:35:54 PM

modage

shh... keep it down! you'll get murdered talking like that around here!  criterion collection are the ONLY DVDS worth having! just ask anybody here.  i mean, i'd much rather have a movie i dont really want because criterion put it out than a movie i actually like with no extras.  wouldnt you?  :?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

filmcritic

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure. 40 dollars is not cheap for a DVD, but it looks like it's really worth having particularly because it's from Criterion.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

finlayr

Correction.  I mean to say "the film is NOT anti-God"

Who's your Auntie?  Is she God?

What's your last name?  ''Up and down in the water''?
Filmmaker

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

SoNowThen

Quote from: finlayrI'm trying to persuade a friend of mine to watch The Last Temptation of Christ but he won't because he doesn't AGREE with making a film about God even though his favourite film is The Mission (which has many deep, spiritual under-tones).  I explained to him that the film is anti-God, it's just a wise film that asks questions and doesn't presume anything--and I made him read the booklet that comes with the Criterion DVD which is like a review of the film.  Still won't watch it.  He wants to be a filmmaker and I've told him that this is SCORSESE!!  one of the best we'll ever see, you have to watch for the direction, the cinematography and the performances (especially of Willem Dafoe) which is one the best of all time.  Anyone have any ideas how I can persuade him to watch it?  Anybody have a review that I can send him so it'll persuade him to watch it???HELP!!!!

I have friends like this. It fucking depresses me to no end, as this film is most probably the best of its kind. Damn. Hit that fucker over the head and make him watch it!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

filmcritic

Thanks for both of the links. I'll take advantage of one of them. :lol:
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

ShanghaiOrange

DVD Planet charges S & H. Deep Discount DVD doesn't. The two prices would come out about equal. :(

Last five films (video)

modage

actually with mine, he saves 29 cents. :wink:

ShanghaiOrange

That's also how much I get in commision if I persuade people to buy DVDs from deepdiscountdvd.com. :(

Just kidding. :(

I guess you win.  :roll:

Last five films (video)

MacGuffin

Mexico gets delayed 'Temptation'

MEXICO CITY -- For the first time, moviegoers in this predominantly Catholic nation will have the opportunity to see "The Last Temptation of Christ" on the big screen, with the film falling on the same March release date of Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ." Martin Scorsese's "Temptation," under distributor United International Pictures, will hit theaters nationwide March 26 with 71 copies, while the 20th Century Fox-distributed "Passion" will bow in Mexico the same day with more than 300 prints. UIP spokesman Pascual Hernandez said Monday that it "is strictly a coincidence" that the two films share a common release date. According to a UIP press statement, the Catholic Church in Mexico has pressured government censors to ban the screening of the controversial "Temptation" since 1988.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinUIP spokesman Pascual Hernandez said Monday that it "is strictly a coincidence" that the two films share a common release date.
yes, pure coincidence that the film will open 16 years late on the same day as another controversial film about christs last days.  pure coincidence...

SHAFTR

I need to see this movie.  It's been on my netflix list for quite sometime and it's still on short wait.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ShanghaiOrange

Bill O' Reilly was bitching about this, in support of the Passion, yesterday.

What a douchebag. :(

Last five films (video)

Finn

Well, I'm not surprised. This is the same guy who also called Kill Bill the most violent movie ever made.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."