Ain't Them Bodies Saints

Started by Pozer, July 15, 2012, 01:01:16 PM

Ghostboy

Quote from: modage on October 18, 2013, 12:21:02 PM
Quote from: Ghostboy on October 18, 2013, 11:35:27 AM
In other news, the DVD cover art will probably be revealed soon, and it is predictably not awesome.
Aw, how crushing it is to experience that from the inside?

It wasn't AS bad as I thought it was going to be, but it's still disappointing to see something with plenty of great key art get distilled down into what is clearly a Photoshop template. I did get them to change the color scheme and use the font from the original poster. Small victories.

I am Schmi

I just finally got around to watching this film, and just phenomenal in my opinion. Lowry wisely stuck by KISS, but still gave ATBS its own distinct feel. Great pacing, great characters, great acting, and gorgeous camerawork. Also, really liked the 'St Louis' monologue. I love that he didn't spell out what led Charles Baker's character to 'seek' out Bob, but maybe just a little more background than what we got would have been nice.

ono

*Lowery.  Keep it simple, stupid.

Lottery

I am Schmi

Reel

explain what you mean by KISS, though.

ono

Reel

ono

I am Schmi

KISS is just an acronym for Keep It Simple Stupid. It basically means simplicity is better than complicating things.

If you're looking for me to elaborate on why I said it, I said it because Lowery took a very simple narrative and treated it in a simple way. It's so often I watch a film and see that the filmmakers tried to weave all of these complicated threads in the narrative and sometimes it just becomes confusing or misguided, but Lowery kept it simple. Simple characters, simple story, simple, simple, simple. But simplicity is not a bad thing. It just makes for a real accessible film to get into and it's easy to want to watch again and again.

Pubrick

You didn't need to explain that. It was pretty obvious what you meant from the use of the well known acronym.

What isn't obvious though is if you realise that Lowery is our very own Ghostboy.
under the paving stones.

Reel

I never heard that acronym! I agree. very bare bones, no nonsense plot. Yet I notice more intimate details everytime.

Kellen

I finally got to see this yesterday, loved everything about it.

Favorite parts had to be:

**spoilers**

Bob talking about his escape from prison where he just got up and "walked out", Skerritt explaining that the list of names next to the gun all belonged to dead men, and the climax in which Bob sees his daughter only to have Ben Foster take her away.

Wonderful job GhostBoy.  Also the cinematography kicked ass!

Reel

Spoiler

Quote from: Kellen on November 14, 2013, 06:06:40 PM
**spoilers**

Bob talking about his escape from prison where he just got up and "walked out"

The first time I saw it,  I thought it was a failed attempt at whimsy on ghost boys part. it wasn't until a later viewing on headphones that I heard his friend say "news said you jumped off a work truck" and finally got it :yabbse-wink: