So-done-bergh

Started by Pozer, March 14, 2011, 07:18:45 PM

Pozer

Filmmaker Steven Soderbergh says he's retiring

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=635461&silentchk=1&wa=wsignin1.0

what a wuss. guy's always whining about filmmaking. says he's gonna pull mini malicks then does back to back movies the following year. stfu, soberbergh.   

Reel

Wow, I guess that's not a surprise he's seemed to just be busy for busy's sake the past couple 5 years. I've been losing interest in him for awhile now but I have to say The Informant! was, is really funny. I'll have to watch it again soon, but my favorite of all was Bubble. If he wants to quit then fine, it's one less director I have to hear blab about their next movie project unenthusiastically in the latest movie magazine, and to end on a high note he's doing a Liberace biopic?  :ponder:

Stefen

He's just looking for attention. He's easily one of the most narcissistic and pretentious filmmakers working today. Aronofsky is going to be the new Soderbergh. Just not as active (or good).

Still, nobody can deny that Soderbergh has been pretty much the most interesting director the last 10-15 years. His output has been ridiculous. Maybe he just needs a break.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reel

Yes he's awesome, but wouldn't you like to see him quit? I think there's only room for one SteveBerg in Hollywood.

polkablues

It's not surprising in the slightest; the whole past decade has basically been Soderbergh fucking around and experimenting in any way he can think of to stave off boredom. He's gotten some interesting results out of it for sure, but eventually he was bound to run out of ways to keep himself interested.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: Reelist on March 14, 2011, 08:59:41 PM
I think there's only room for one SteveBerg in Hollywood.

you're right.. that means the next to go will be that other director who also is always "busy for busy's sake" .. Steven Spielberg!

leaving lazy old Steven Shainberg to be crowned the winner by default.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

UPDATE: Hold Off On The Retirement Party! Steven Soderbergh Takes On New Pic Inspired by Channing Tatum's Stripper Days
BY MIKE FLEMING | Deadline

UPDATE: If Steven Soderbergh really is determined to retire from filmmaking, he's not doing a very good job of it. He's been so prolific lately that he's like the Natalie Portman of directors. Now, he has just committed to direct Channing Tatum in Magic Mike, a story of friendship set in the world of male strippers. Tatum plays the title character, who schools a young dancer in how to hustle on and off the stage. It's a wild summer of dancing, partying and women. The inspiration for the film is Channing's own experiences as a stripper when he was 19. Nick Wechsler is producing with Gregory Jacobs, Tatum and Reid Carolin. Carolin is writing the script. "When Channing talked to me about this, I thought it was one of the best ideas I'd ever heard for a movie," Soderbergh said in a statement. "I said I wanted in immediately. It's sexy, funny and shocking. We're using Saturday Night Fever as our model, so hopefully we're on the right track." Said Tatum: "This was a wild and pivotal time in my life and I couldn't be more thrilled to go down the rabbit hole with Steven." Tatum is currently shooting 21 Jump Street and will next be seen starring in The Vow with Rachel McAdams and in Ten Year. This new project comes after Soderbergh completed Haywire, his attempt to make an action star out of mixed martial arts fighter Gina Carano by putting her in an espionage drama and surrounding her with proven pros like Tatum, Michael Douglas, Michael Fassbender and Ewan McGregor in a film Relativity Media releases in August. Soderbergh followed that by shooting Contagion, a drama about the outbreak of a deadly virus that has Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Jude Law and Marion Cotillard starring, and Warner Bros releasing in October. Soderbergh will be squeezing this in between his plans to direct Douglas and Damon in Liberace, and then The Man From U.N.C.L.E. with his former partner and frequent onscreen collaborator George Clooney. Even though he runs the risk of being moviedom's Brett Favre, I hope Soderbergh continues finding talent and scripts that keep him coming back for more. I can still remember being at Sundance years ago and watching how his film sex, lies & videotape changed the landscape of independent cinema by showing how an intelligent indie could play beyond a tiny arthouse theater circuit. Then I saw how Soderbergh ended a run of mostly crappy adaptations of books by one of my favorite authors, Elmore Leonard, when he and Scott Frank transformed Out of Sight into the mature, sexy thriller it was on the page. Throw in Traffic, Erin Brockovich and King of the Hill, and how many working directors have a better list of credits? Soderbergh has said he feels exhausted by the process and seems to think he'll run out of things to say. Favre should certainly stay retired, but Soderbergh should keep making films but maybe work in a vacation here and there. Making them back to back like he has been doing is enough to have any director pondering the rest home.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

It's like I've always said, Soderbergh's retirement from film would only last until Channing Tatum approached him with a pitch for a male stripper movie loosely based on Saturday Night Fever. I've always said that.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Or he could make more movies like Full Frontal and Schizopolis.

socketlevel

This is what happens when you do 1-2 movies a year. you get burnt out. so he doesn't want to do location scouts anymore... fair enough if that's all you're doing. go get laid, pop out a couple kids and then remember how good you had it.
the one last hit that spent you...

Reel

I'm more excited about Kevin Smith's retirement because when he says he's done he actually means it.

modage

Quote from: Reelist on April 30, 2011, 08:34:17 PM
I'm more excited about Kevin Smith's retirement because when he says he's done he actually means it.

Uhh you should be more excited about Smith's retirement because he makes consistently terrible movies. You should hope that Soderbergh changes his mind/was lying before Man From U.N.C.L.E. is done because he's awesome.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

socketlevel

I think saying excited means he agrees. why would you be excited for something that you don't want to end?
the one last hit that spent you...

Reel

I'm actually looking forward to Smith's last two. If he plays his cards right he could seal his legacy pretty well, but Soderbergh shows no signs of stopping, none of these projects seems remotely personal. He's gotta go back to his roots and do something as good as his 90's stuff if he thinks he's gonna slide outta this one unscathed. Which means we can expect to be seeing films from him for the next twenty years.