Seabiscuit (sphinx approves)

Started by sphinx, May 24, 2003, 01:00:32 PM

modage

the disc, with the fantastic artwork in tact, is expected to arrive on December 16th, although that could change.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Warner Home Video has just announced a December 16thb DVD release for the horse racing epic, Seabiscuit, which will be presented in separate anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, each with a Dolby Digital 5.1 surround track, audio commentary with director Gary Ross and filmmaker Steven Soderbergh, the "Bringing the Legend to Life: The Making of Seabiscuit;" "Anatomy of a Movie Moment" and "Seabiscuit: Racing Through History" featurettes, a special "Photo Finish: Jeff Bridges' On Set Photographs" still gallery and trailers. Retail is $27.95.

Warner will also release a special gift box containing the above plus The Story of Seabiscuit: The American Experience DVD, a behind-the-scenes making-of book, a card set, bookmark and senitype. Retail is $59.95.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weak2ndAct

Why's everyone hatin' on the 'Biscuit?  Maybe film-snobbery is the culprit, as it was the reason I never saw it until yesterday.  I admit, I had little interest in seeing the film (thought it would be corny, sappy, etc.), but the Oscar support and the defense by MacG and others prompted a rental...

...And boy, I'm glad I did.  It really is a tremendous film, perfectly executed on every level.  I could gush for hours (and I was prepared to not like the movie!), but I'll spare the ass-kissing for now.

Favorite moment: the stones of Ross to cut to the photos during the beginning of the match race.  A wonderful touch.  Or maybe it's the final race... or maybe it's Red's abandonment as a child... or the way the car accident is handled... or the Macy scenes... or when Cooper realizes who should be the jockey... or-- christ, it's all just great.

Ghostboy

This is the first time in nearly a decade that I haven't seen one of the best picture nominees. I really need to finally bite the bullet and watch this, because I know I'll probably love it.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Weak2ndActWhy's everyone hatin' on the 'Biscuit?  Maybe film-snobbery is the culprit, as it was the reason I never saw it until yesterday.  I admit, I had little interest in seeing the film (thought it would be corny, sappy, etc.), but the Oscar support and the defense by MacG and others prompted a rental...

...And boy, I'm glad I did.  It really is a tremendous film, perfectly executed on every level.  I could gush for hours (and I was prepared to not like the movie!), but I'll spare the ass-kissing for now.

Favorite moment: the stones of Ross to cut to the photos during the beginning of the match race.  A wonderful touch.  Or maybe it's the final race... or maybe it's Red's abandonment as a child... or the way the car accident is handled... or the Macy scenes... or when Cooper realizes who should be the jockey... or-- christ, it's all just great.

My new best friend.  :kiss:

Weak, you have to listen to the commentary track. Ross and Soderberg make for a great listen.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

My bro accidentally bought me the full screen version (with book) for Christmas.  Based on all these positive vibes, though, I definitely want to check this out when I get a chance.  I mean, a film with Jeff Bridges, Chris Cooper, Tobey Maguire, and William H. Macy can't be all bad.

Jeremy Blackman

Gary Ross is great... I'm just afraid to see this movie because it's been hyped to death and politically deformed.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: MacGuffinWeak, you have to listen to the commentary track. Ross and Soderberg make for a great listen.
Already did, it was quite nice.  Sodebergh is officially my favorite dvd commentator, as guest or director.  

It didn't take that long to get through all the extras.  Is the 2 disc set the one to buy?  I see there's extra doc's and stuff on there.

©brad

why is soderbergh on the commentary? (sorry if this has already been posted/answered and i just missed it)

MacGuffin

Quote from: ©bradwhy is soderbergh on the commentary? (sorry if this has already been posted/answered and i just missed it)

He and Ross are friends since Soderberg produced "Pleasantville".

Quote from: Weak2ndActIs the 2 disc set the one to buy?  I see there's extra doc's and stuff on there.

If you're into all the extras and stuff (nice photo booklet, film frame from the film, etc.). I am.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Well I finally saw it, mostly out of guilt. Unfortunately, I think I like it even less than I thought I would.  :(

The narration... distracting, pompous, and cheap.

I was expecting so much more visually. The poster looks more intruiging than anything I saw in the movie. Michael Mann or Oliver Stone should have directed.

I'm sure the whole experience was more convincing in the theater. I just couldn't get into it. I constantly felt manipulated... and the miraculously unoriginal music didn't help.

Tobey Maguire was wrong for the pissed off kid role. It was ironic, but he mostly looked like he was struggling to pull it off.

modage

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI'm sure the whole experience was more convincing in the theater. I just couldn't get into it. I constantly felt manipulated... and the miraculously unoriginal music didn't help.
i dont get it.  what is manipulated?  how does a movie maniuplate one?  either you watch and it makes you feel something or it doesnt?  arent all movies manipulating?  (i'm being serious because i notice this term come up a lot and it never really makes much sense to me.)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Quote from: themodernage02i dont get it.  what is manipulated?  how does a movie maniuplate one?  either you watch and it makes you feel something or it doesnt?  arent all movies manipulating?  (i'm being serious because i notice this term come up a lot and it never really makes much sense to me.)
If you've seen a movie where the score is invasive, you'd understand exactly what he's talking about.  Having not seen Seabiscuit yet, I can't speak for that movie exactly, but I can think of a few ways beside music that movies can manipulate.  They reside mostly in the dialogue.  When dialogue develops plot, that is manipulative.  When it reiterates what the viewer can already discern, or when it tells you how to feel about a character or situation, that is manipulative.  And I'm guessing that is the biggest gripe there.  Great movies let you make up your mind on your own as to how you feel about them.  They don't scream through their score, dialogue, or other devices, "oh, please like me!"

modage

yeah but arent all movies manipulative on some level?  like, any movie that has a twist ending?  or any movie where a likable character dies?  or any movie that makes you feel anything?  isnt that essentially manipulating you to feel one way?  like, who cares?  shouldnt there be both kinds of movies?  ambiguous movies and straight ones?  i mean, i see if one kind isnt your thing.  but its not as if there isnt an art in doing either.  why is making something that might make the viewer feel nothing more sophisticated than something that makes you happy or sad?  like isnt 21 grams, my left foot, in america, all manipulating you in one way or another?

cine

Quote from: themodernage02like isnt 21 grams, my left foot, in america, all manipulating you in one way or another?
Isn't Triumph of the Will manipulating in one way or another?