What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

A Matter Of Chance

The Perineum Falcon

I've been meaning to read some Faulkner, but I keep getting sidetracked/forgetting.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Raikus

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: Lucid on November 09, 2006, 10:34:54 PM

Oh, hell yeah.

Tim O'Brien is my favorite author by far.  If you haven't read In the Lake of the Woods and The Things They Carried yet, do that next.
My house, my rules, my coffee

hedwig

The Perineum Falcon

nice cover.

I'm re-reading Tarkovsky's Sculpting In Time.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Fjodor

Strange, and difficult book (for a non-english reader). At the one side, I appreciate the creative sort of humor is attains, but at the other side, the style of writing really puts me off at certain points. Too much anarchy for a easy read, I guess.

A Matter Of Chance

It's like Lawrence of Arabia or Reds, but with philosophers.

polkablues

Quote from: Fjodor on November 21, 2006, 05:04:29 PM
(Catch-22)

Strange, and difficult book (for a non-english reader). At the one side, I appreciate the creative sort of humor is attains, but at the other side, the style of writing really puts me off at certain points. Too much anarchy for a esay read, I guess.

I read a review once that describes the book as "not having been written so much as shouted onto the page."  The reviewer meant it disparagingly, but if I were Joseph Heller, I would take it as a compliment.
My house, my rules, my coffee

gob

I'm becoming an accumulative Ian McEwan fan. I really liked "Saturday" and "Enduring Love" (the film adaptation of which I think is very underrated). As far as "The Cement Garden" goes, so far so good...

The Perineum Falcon

The thickness of the book looks like an exaggeration. Like those tomes you see in movies that weigh 20lbs.
It's daunting at first, just considering how long it may take me, but I'm looking forward to it.
More than any book I've read in the past few months.

Ghostboy

It's not hard. By the time I was fifteen I'd read it three times (I was a big fan of the musical in my youth).

I'm currently finishing up a re-read of Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man and am next weighing my options: Anna Karenina or Gravity's Rainbow? Hmmmm.

matt35mm