What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

kotte

Look at all the countries that are doing well or are just getting out of poverty.
They have all gone through the process of industrialization in which poor-condition factories have always been a part. At the roots of a possibly blooming economy there are only resources for a machine, not the best or safest, but a machine. And as the machine is bad the productivity is low...therefore working hours are longer. Never have I said this is a good place to work, I would never want to work in a factory like that (maybe I would I the alternatives are what they are today). But it's a phase...there are the US and pretty much all of Europe to prove it.

The unions are a good thing and have improved the conditions of the workplace for millions and millions. But unions are a counterweight to the industry, but nothing in itself. The unionization is almost always welcome all around the globe. Exceptions exist and should be fought by all means possible.

I'm not gonna debate slavery. It's against every human right there is. It's counter freedom, on the opposite side of capitalism. True is that some factories do have extremely horrid conditions without any willingness from management to change and as I said, they should be fought.
Dictatorial states have shown to have the absolute worst working conditions for their people but these states seldom export anything, and thus do not have anything to do with globalization or capitalism. These states are striving for self sufficiency and most often fail (read North Korea).

A Matter Of Chance

Sorry to interrupt:

Long Day's Journey Into Night - Eugene O'Neill
AND
Illuminations - Arthur Rimbaud

pete

we've been talking about garcia marquez a little bit, which makes me glad.  I just finished love in the time of cholera about three weeks ago and I'm delving into his short stories collections right now and they're not as fun as his novels--because most of his novels are comprised of 100s of short anecdotes and legends and stories already, weaved together to create a history or a life, reading his short stories is a little bit more underwhelming.

as for the sweatshop debate, saying that the children are better off in sweatshop according to their own regional standards is a half-assed orientalist myth.  but I have a feeling kotte will realize that he's wrong after his head cools.  he's just being precious right now.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

I Love a Magician

I bought Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood and Zadie Smith's White Teeth the other day. And McSweeney's 18 because I like feeling hip.

Pubrick

Quote from: I Love a Magician on May 24, 2006, 05:11:41 AM
I bought Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood and Zadie Smith's White Teeth the other day. And McSweeney's 18 because I like feeling hip.
ah, yes, but are you reading them?
under the paving stones.

pete

I got my mom this:

got myself this:

but I was reading a few pages of the book I was giving to my mom and got pretty into it, so I might swipe it for my trip to Taiwan this summer.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

I Love a Magician

Quote from: Pubrick on May 24, 2006, 06:58:06 AM
ah, yes, but are you reading them?

One at a time. McSweeney's first because I prefer short stories. I bought the other two because I like their short stories so much.

godardian

I bought Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood

If you like it, check out Carson McCullers's  The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. It's as good as Wise Blood, of about the same region and period of American lit, and it has the edge in emotional excessiveness. It made me weep.

Me, for fiction:

...an American-Midwestern-Congregationalist Diary of a Country Priest (which is actually name-dropped by the first-person narrator--the novel, not Bresson's film). With this and Middlesex, the postmillennial Pulitzers are not nearly as awful as might be assumed.

For nonfiction:

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

I Love a Magician

Quote from: godardian on May 25, 2006, 07:45:28 PM
I bought Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood

If you like it, check out Carson McCullers's  The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. It's as good as Wise Blood, of about the same region and period of American lit, and it has the edge in emotional excessiveness. It made me weep.

Awesome, thanks.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: godardian on May 25, 2006, 07:45:28 PM
Great to hear some Xixaxers enjoying the authors I share a hometown with. The Carson McCullers House is the one widely used house for "Writer's Meetings" and Poetry recitals.
Cool beans. :bravo:

Anyway, here's my newest:

Reccommended by some friends of mine who really want to film a chapter from this. Their enthusiasm excited me.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

godardian

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

Quote from: Just Withnail on June 02, 2006, 05:51:03 PM
Ohoh, how is it compared to Cloud Atlas?

I just finished it. Short answer: Not quite as good. Long answer: Different enough from Cloud Atlas--and successful enough in its own way--to be well worth reading if you enjoyed Cloud Atlas. It's a bit more abstract and a bit more clever-clever, not as "mature" as Cloud Atlas, and without as much apparent emotional investment. But it's still wonderfully skillful.

cine

godardian

Just finished:

...I've really been on a Mitchell kick. A bit exhausting--not because of the difficulty, but because of a degree of scope and ambition that sometimes makes the reader reel--but so very worthwhile and rich. I'm going to be going on to his latest, BlackSwanGreen, after a brief Mitchell break, but I'm wondering if his body of work (four novels so far) forms a sort of pattern:  A global/multicharacter/horizontal work Ghostwritten, Cloud Atlas) followed by a local/single-character/"vertical" work (Number9Dream, BlackSwanGreen).

My Mitchell break will be courtesy the bucolic American Marilynne Robinson, whose quietly moving, serenity and contemplation-inducing Gilead--a novel I can comfortably call prayerful and mean it as a compliment--I have recently finished. Yes, next up is: