Bad Boys II: The Return Of Michael Bay

Started by Ghostboy, July 18, 2003, 02:50:09 AM

TheVoiceOfNick

The scene with the kid at the door was one of my favorite scenes!

Nick

markums2k

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickThe scene with the kid at the door was one of my favorite scenes!

Nick

According to Ebert, then, you need to enroll in some community services.   :roll:   I think Ebert doesn't quite fit the target demographic for this movie, though...  I'm gonna see it this weekend.  I'm thoroughly excited.

markums2k

I just saw Bad Boys 2 this weekend.  Wow, really terrific.  The total disregard for life and property was wonderful, since I get the sense that every other action movie of late has been reluctant to actually kill people and blow shit up.  Even the Matrix: Reloaded was noticably tamer.

The action is brilliant, it doesn't hold back, and it doesn't try to justify shooting people in the face or blowing them in half.  In fact, most of the melodrama and cheesiness of the first Bad Boys has been replaced by dark, morbid, insensitive humor in the sequel.

This movie is like a cynical, depressed maniac who refuses to admit they have a problem.  "There's nothing wrong with my attitude, I'm a 'realist'..."

I love it.  More like this.  :-D

MacGuffin

Uggghhhh. The back and forth banter and bitching got to be real annoying midway through...and none of it funny. This seemed like most un-Michael Bay like movie he has done. At least with his other films, his "style over substance" approach made for a good looking movie, but here, there was no flashy or visual flair. The freeway chase was very well done and the stunts amazing, but after that at the start, there was nothing else to watch and made for looking at other things, like if Dan Mareno is test driving a car, why does the car already have Florida licence plates?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

markums2k

The quote's gonna be a little off, but:

"Dan Mareno should buy this car-- well not this car.  I'm gonna fuck this one up..."

And you didn't laugh out loud?  LOL?  No?  Dammit...  :(

I thought it was very funny.  Mostly in poor taste.  Maybe I was just in the perfect mood for this.

Ghostboy

The more I think about it, the more I hate this movie. But yes, that line and many others did make me laugh.

Pedro

Quote from: GhostboyThe more I think about it, the more I hate this movie. But yes, that line and many others did make me laugh.
I loved it...i mean the plots really had some stupid shit goin on....but i stopped looking at it as anything more than like insanity and ended up loving the hell out of it.

Ghostboy

My hate for it is two-sided...the cynic in me likes the movie, because it's so nihilistic and calloused and because it basically just blindsides the audience with a constant barrage of violence, while the gentler side of me hates it for the same reason.

I love seeing things be destroyed, especially when it's not CGI...but Bay does it without any grace. The car chase in The Blues Brothers is still one of my all time favorites, but there was a sort of awe involved when you saw all those cars continuously piling onto each other. Bay never indulges you with a shot that lasts that long.

markums2k

Quote from: GhostboyI love seeing things be destroyed, especially when it's not CGI...but Bay does it without any grace. The car chase in The Blues Brothers is still one of my all time favorites, but there was a sort of awe involved when you saw all those cars continuously piling onto each other. Bay never indulges you with a shot that lasts that long.

This post reminded me of the excitement I felt watching It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.  The car stuff is really, really wonderfully done.  Especially for a comedy.

Bad Boys 2 doesn't pull any punches.  I admire it for that, if nothing else.  I totally agree; the plot is absurdly ridiculous.  "Oh, that's my sister I've never talked about before who just happens to secretly work for the CIA... and dayum, now we gotta get the army and go to Cuba to save her fine ass."  You know, I really wasn't expecting anything better than that...

Maybe they call it 'lowered expectations'... you know?  You don't hold the kids on the short bus to the same set of standards.

oakmanc234

This was just a fucking great time. Funny, loud, completely exaggerated in its excessive violence & destruction. I dont remeber a recent film that was so proud of how OTT is is! It's overblown and it knows it. A film that laughs in excitement at how ridiculous its action is. I loved its 'destroy everything & everyone' approach. In my opinion, its the most reliable flick for action of the season.
What the hell was Ebert on about? That 'ugly scene' with the young boyfriend was funny as shit! Lawrence cracked the whole theatre up. Some scenes were genuinely hilarious. The 'humping rats' sight gag would make the Farrely's jealous ("They fuck just like us!").
I didn't like it QUITE as much as the first, but damn that was fun. Loved it.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Pedro

Quote from: oakmanc234This was just a fucking great time. Funny, loud, completely exaggerated in its excessive violence & destruction. I dont remeber a recent film that was so proud of how OTT is is! It's overblown and it knows it. A film that laughs in excitement at how ridiculous its action is. I loved its 'destroy everything & everyone' approach. In my opinion, its the most reliable flick for action of the season.
What the hell was Ebert on about? That 'ugly scene' with the young boyfriend was funny as shit! Lawrence cracked the whole theatre up. Some scenes were genuinely hilarious. The 'humping rats' sight gag would make the Farrely's jealous ("They fuck just like us!").
I didn't like it QUITE as much as the first, but damn that was fun. Loved it.
You feel exactly how I do about it...the only that gets to me are those matrix-esque bullet following effects, but I got over them.  I still love that movie.

cine

I've been watching the Conan rerun of Martin Lawrence when he was promoting this.. I saw this the first time it came on, but when he showed the clip of the movie, I watched and then began tuning out.. this time I watched and heard what Conan said afterwards. He observed there was a lot of cool car explosions and that it was an exciting clip, unlike a lot of the other clips people come in and show (he was joking, but you know he wasn't). THEN Lawrence replied, "That was the genius of Michael Bay"
and I just died... I lost it... Lawrence is hilarious. He's a genius when it comes to oxymorons.

ono

Martin Lawrence is like nails on a chalkboard.  When I saw he was gonna be on Conan, I turned the channel when he came out.  He's probably the only guest I can't tolerate, and that says a lot for some of the other guests Conan has had.  He's probably the most obnoxious human on the face of the Earth, and that's considering he lives on the same planet as Gilbert Gottfried.  Just thought I'd share.

cine

I can tolerate Lawrence but when Conan asked him what he meant by "dirty" and he hesitated and then replied, "it's dirty diiirttty..." a couple of time... I really felt stupid for watching.