New DVDs???

Started by Keener, September 10, 2003, 07:33:57 PM

Kal

Quote from: picolashttp://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?viewItem&category=617&item=6381491330&rd=1

I have that collection and bought it on eBay... it was less than 30 bucks with shipping and everything... and its worth every penny... it was over 100 bucks on BestBuy (the US version).

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: picolashttp://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?viewItem&category=617&item=6381491330&rd=1

Do my eyes deceive me or were they really selling it for $9.99!?!
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

picolas

i got it a week ago. they look fine on tv as long as you adjust the blackness, but on computers the image stinks. also, the special features are gone, chapter stops on paths of glory are messed, eyes wide shut is misspelled on the crappy disc art as "eyes widw shut," there's a warning at the beginning of every disc not to sell this outside of china or watch it on oil rigs, and the eleven discs are in weird slip-sleeves so it takes up the same shelf space as a two-discer. apart from that i'm glad i filled in the my lolita lyndon paths life in pictures gap.

don't sell your duplicates.

Gamblour.

Quote from: picolaswatch it on oil rigs

What? Joke? Also, good review of those discs.
WWPTAD?

picolas

Gamblour.

Well shut my mouth. Good for them for acknowledging the horrible crime that is oil rig exhibitions of copyrighted films.
WWPTAD?

Big Owl

Never mind oil rigs -Who watches Stanley kubrick extracts in church any way?cos i'd damn well like to know.
How cool would that be
\\\\\\\"God damn these electric sex-pants!\\\\\\\"

kotte

It says "don't screen on oil-rigs, schools, busses etc etc" on pretty much all my R1 DVDs. Why are you suprised...?

picolas

we didn't know about your R1 dvds.

kotte

Quote from: picolaswe didn't know about your R1 dvds.

hehe, that's funny...

MacGuffin

Warner's got some great stuff on the way for 2006. Some very exciting titles were revealed last night at their press event at the studio. Warner Home Video's Senior VP for Theatrical Catalog Marketing (George Feltenstein), newly-minted VP for Publicity and Promotion for Theatrical Catalog (Ronnee Sass) and other senior Warner execs were on hand to announce that over 200 new-to-DVD catalog titles will be released by the studio on DVD in the new year.

Warner was quick, and right, to stress that "the death of DVD has been greatly exaggerated." The Warner film vaults contain some 6,600 theatrical film titles... only 1,200 of which have been released on DVD thus far. That leaves over 5,400 titles for the studio to choose from when it comes to catalog DVD releases, so there's PLENTY of great films left to mine in the years ahead.

Look for 4 new Stanley Kubrick SEs including 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), A Clockwork Orange (1971), The Shining (1980) and the original unrated version Eyes Wide Shut (1999). Each will include new documentaries and never-before-seen footage blessed by the Kubrick Estate (although don't look for deleted scenes - Stanley himself never wanted them released).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 31, 2006, 05:11:00 PM
Warner was quick, and right, to stress that "the death of DVD has been greatly exaggerated." The Warner film vaults contain some 6,600 theatrical film titles... only 1,200 of which have been released on DVD thus far. That leaves over 5,400 titles for the studio to choose from when it comes to catalog DVD releases, so there's PLENTY of great films left to mine in the years ahead.
translation: "dont stop buying this stuff!  now that we know the end is nigh we want to make sure we get around to releasing all the shit we can dig up so we can make you REbuy it when the changeover happens! ahahaha."

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 31, 2006, 05:11:00 PM
Look for 4 new Stanley Kubrick SEs including 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), A Clockwork Orange (1971), The Shining (1980) and the original unrated version Eyes Wide Shut (1999). Each will include new documentaries and never-before-seen footage blessed by the Kubrick Estate (although don't look for deleted scenes - Stanley himself never wanted them released).
so no box set?  and there wont be a kubrick commentary or deleted scenes, so there had better be some GodDamn good documentaries on these things.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

As long as the transfers are improved, I'll buy these new discs.  16:9 enhancement for the 1.66:1 films is mandatory.  I've been holding out for years for decent editions of Kubrick's films.

I wonder if The Shining and EWS will be widescreen or open matte.

Pubrick

Quote from: Ravi on February 01, 2006, 12:27:28 AM
I wonder if The Shining and EWS will be widescreen or open matte.
i thought them + FMJ were already as good a quality as they can be.
under the paving stones.