Anyone seen any good shows lately?

Started by smash, September 21, 2004, 12:48:39 AM

MacGuffin

Quote from: john on February 23, 2008, 02:42:03 PM
Hey Mac, was that your first JB show?

Yeah. It was my date's second time, and even she was amazed because it was completely different from her first.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Wasn't there a documentary that was supposed to come out that had a bunch of cool people/musicians including Brion?

Did that ever come out and did anyone see it? I'm out of the loop.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

brockly

are you talking about largo? it was supposed to come out this month, i think. no idea what the status is..

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

So, remember how I told you guys that there was a really great venue for indie music right down the street from me and how I liked going there since good bands always came and it was the only good thing this town has going for it? And also cause I could walk there and get plastered and walk home, so it was pretty much perfect?

Well, it just burned down to the ground and is no more.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NRx1aMtG-Pg&feature=user
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

I Love a Magician

saw bon iver with black mountain earlier. bon iver was awesome with the falsetto and everything. real chill stuff for the most part but it was fun to see the dude raisin out of his chair during his guitar solo on "blindsided" for the added Oomph

squints

just saw Mom, Papercuts, and Beach House
great fuckin show. the venue was great the crowd was pretty cool. Beach House is awesome.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

squints

just caught Fuck Buttons and Caribou last night. I've never really listened to either bands but that show last night was incredible. Such high energy and just incredible sound. Fuck buttons rattled my bones. Great great show, perfect crowd, awesome venue, cheap drinks. Great time.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

samsong

saw she & him when they were here--had no idea this thread existed.  jason schwartzman jumped in for a couple songs, and they covered "bring it on home to me" and "i put a spell on you" during the encore.  really fun show, zooey is awkward (and hot), m. ward is robert downey jr.'s gay little brother but he'll melt your face.  caleb deschanel was in the audience.  i think i saw one of you give him your reel. 

bummed i'm missing nick cave + cat power + spiritualized at the hollywood bowl, but i did get a ticket to my bloody valentine in new york. 

john

I'd like to see them stick to covers... I saw Deschanel at Largo a little over a year ago... she had a beautiful voice, a great personality, and picked terrific covers... then I heard She and Him and it was bland, bland, bland. The kind of thing that gets the lovely ladies of the Target Department Store excited.

But Bring It On Home To Me and I Put A Spell On You? Sounds fun.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

squints

Tom Waits is playing around here in the next month but tickets are Ninety-five fucking dollars. that's just goddamned ridiculous

hedwig

dude, he's one of the few people i'd actually pay that much to see.

DO IT.

cinemanarchist

He's on some serious Madonna stadium tour bullshit. The Palladium is NOT a venue I would ever pay that much to see anyone at...under any circumstance. I love you Tom but I'll stay home and watch Domino and wish I was there with ya and then get pissed that I'm watching fucking Domino...sure I could watch Coffee & Cigarettes, but I'm not gonna. I will pay $20 to see Ladytron and Datarock at said Palladium.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

john

Absolutely.

Worth every goddamned dollar.

I saw him, in the middle of the afternoon, in an amphitheater filled with folks either more interested in John Mayer, or getting impatient waiting for Metallica and Tom Waits commanded every one of those motherfuckers respect. YOu could almost hear a pin drop. The frightened fled to the beer tents, and everyone else watching in awe.

He really transformed that place into something special. He used floorboards, his voice, guitar, and piano to create a world I didn't want to leave.

He told jokes and stories, and lies.

He was amazing.

I'm considering a road trip across many states to see him... so if you've got the opportunity to see him in your very own county.... or anywhere near it. Do it. Do it. Do it.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

cinemanarchist

Alright John I have taken your advice and given Mr. Waits my $102. Now that I've bought the tickets I'm super pumped and can't fucking wait for June 23rd to come! Any of my other Dallas chums bought tickets yet? Better do so soon.
My assholeness knows no bounds.