Anyone seen any good shows lately?

Started by smash, September 21, 2004, 12:48:39 AM

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pubrick on October 31, 2007, 09:28:14 PM
Quote from: pyramid machine on October 31, 2007, 04:15:28 PM
the show was right after he came back from the states 

came back from the states to.. the states.

haha...i meant the first show right after he came back from the UK... :yabbse-grin:

MacGuffin

Just came back from the excellent double bill of Spoon and Feist. Spoon opened; coming out and plugging and tuning as the atmo music was still playing, then the music stopped, and they went right into Japanese Cigarette Case. They played for just under an hour a great deal from Ga, Ga..., tracks from Fiction and some older stuff, so it was a nice greatest hits compliation playlist. In between changing sets, a lot of Smiths tracks were played, so I was in Heaven. Then the lights went dark and Feist took the stage looking incredibly gorgeous and making hilarious banter with the audience. And she kicked some major ass as she rocked the house. She completely brought The Reminder album alive; an all-out, rockin' rendition of Sealion being the highlight.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

I had a singer-songwriters week.  I saw the swell season on thursday - they were the boy and the girl from the movie once.  and then I saw sondre lerche on sunday.  both were really good shows but kinda pansy.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

children with angels

The other week I saw Saul Williams, and he was amazing - but it was made particularly great by the way it happened.

At about 8pm I happened to realise that, because Saul had a new album out, there was a very slim chance that he might be touring in the UK sometime soon. So I went to his myspace to check. I discover that he has a gig in London THAT NIGHT that is about to start in about an hour's time about an hour away from me. I ring up the place and they've obviously sold out. I think, fuck it, this is clearly fate: I'll get down there and buy from a tout for a ridiculous price.

So I get down there and there's no one selling any spares. So I'm pissed off and bitching to the bouncer, just having a cigarette, wasting time outside. Just then this girl comes out for a smoke. The bouncer tells me that she's the daughter of the promoter and that I should ask her if she'll get me in. She does. For free. I buy her a drink in return.

Once inside, I discover it's Saul doing just spoken word stuff - which I've never see him do before. Then I realise that I have some left-over MDMA in my pocket, which I obviously take. So there I am, high as a kite, thinking Saul Williams is the deepest man ever born, and he's amazing and profound, and innovative, and HILARIOUS. Then afterwards I get to meet the man and shake his hand (he gives me a slightly weird look 'cos I'm chewing like a bastard, mumbling about "fuckin' aweshome shiit", with my eyes almost entirely closed). Then I meet some cool guys in the club and go back to their flat to smoke and be introduced to various underground London hiphop artists, till about 6am. Best Tuesday ever.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Stefen

I don't know what's going on, but for some reason some really good bands are finally making their way to my neck of the woods.

The Liars and Stephen Malkmus are both coming here in the couple months and are playign the venue a block away from my place.

You guys should check out the calendar here http://launchpadrocks.com/ and tell me if there are anybody I should be checking out.

Ever since I got a 360, my music listening and movie watching has fallen off. I just smoke pot and sit on the couch playing video games all day. It's like I'm 16 again. I gotta get out of this stupid rut.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Stefen on February 05, 2008, 10:35:13 AM
I don't know what's going on, but for some reason some really good bands are finally making their way to my neck of the woods.

The Liars and Stephen Malkmus are both coming here in the couple months and are playign the venue a block away from my place.

You guys should check out the calendar here http://launchpadrocks.com/ and tell me if there are anybody I should be checking out.

Ever since I got a 360, my music listening and movie watching has fallen off. I just smoke pot and sit on the couch playing video games all day. It's like I'm 16 again. I gotta get out of this stupid rut.

At least smoke pot AND listen to music and watch movies.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Stefen

Quote from: cinemanarchist on February 05, 2008, 10:42:41 AM

Oh, I do. But I only listen to old music and haven't found anything new because I'm to burned out to put in the work and discover. That's why I want you guys to do it for me.

On the movie front, I'm watching movies, but only stoner movies. Early Linklater type stuff. Tried watching A Woman Under The Influence but it just wasn't happening. Too complicated, man. 
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

i barely watch movies anymore either.  just new releases i missed in the theatre cause i was too lazy and then tv shows on DVD.  currently on The Wire Season 3.

oh, as i mentioned in the LOST thread, i saw Joanna Newsom at BAM last week with the Brooklyn Orchestra and that was pretty amazing.  i had 2nd row center aisle seats, which i completely lucked into.  i have never before and will never again have better seats at a concert.

pictures at stereogum: http://stereogum.com/archives/concert/joanna-newsom-bam-brooklyn-2108_007969.html
and brooklyn vegan: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2008/02/joanna_newsom_b_2.html
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Stefen on February 05, 2008, 10:56:37 AM
Quote from: cinemanarchist on February 05, 2008, 10:42:41 AM

Oh, I do. But I only listen to old music and haven't found anything new because I'm to burned out to put in the work and discover. That's why I want you guys to do it for me.

On the movie front, I'm watching movies, but only stoner movies. Early Linklater type stuff. Tried watching A Woman Under The Influence but it just wasn't happening. Too complicated, man. 

This new doc should be right up your alley. Mods feel free to start a new topic in "Now Showing" for this but it's directly related to this conversation so I said what the hey.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i7vMqowaPig

Stefen

I saw Joanna Newsome early last year at the same venue I linked. She was FANTASTIC.

I'm at work now and don't have sound so I'll check that link out when I get home.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Stefen on February 05, 2008, 11:48:28 AM
I saw Joanna Newsome early last year at the same venue I linked. She was FANTASTIC.

Somehow imagining you at a Joanna Newsome concert puts a smile on my face  :yabbse-smiley:

Sigur Rós

cinemanarchist

I've got tickets to an acoustic Yo La Tengo set at the Dallas Museum of Art. This will be a good show. I will review said show once it's in the past tense.

MacGuffin

Just got back from seeing Jon Brion at Largo. Two words: Simply Amazing. Walking in, he just started playing the piano, and it looked and felt like he was composing something original right in front of you. The guy is a one-man band. He would start on drums with a beat, record it on a loop. While that was going on, he moved to the piano and do the same. Then he would go to the guitar, and strum and sing; getting so into it, his eyes would roll back as he was rocking out. You have to see it to witness how magical it was. He took requests and played There Might Giants's Don't Let's Start and Bowie's Life On Mars.

Later he took requests to do old standards in a non-standard way. So Somewhere Over The Rainbow was turned into a Jimi Hendrix-esque rendition. Night And Day was done in a White Stripes-esque way. Then he said, "Fuck it, Cole Porter songs the rest of the night." Anything Goes was played rock-a-billy. He ended the night by putting the lyrics of I've Got You Under My Skin to the music of Strawberry Fields Forever.

I was in awe of the man the entire time.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

john

Hey Mac, was that your first JB show? I'm always envious of the first-timers... doesn't matter how much you've read or how many bootlegs you've heard...  when it actually happens, right in front of you... it's a goddamn revelation.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.