Anyone seen any good shows lately?

Started by smash, September 21, 2004, 12:48:39 AM

squints

Quote from: squints on April 26, 2009, 11:08:54 PM
Wasn't sure how their sound would translate to main-stage epic-ness but it totally did and was totally amazing, inspiring, magical.

Proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpE8euqaRdQ&feature=related

more proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FICezgXFmKI&feature=related

omg, even more proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHx65eW1QBw&feature=related

if you ever get the chance to see man man in your life. oh lord help you.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

RegularKarate

Quote from: squints on April 28, 2009, 03:43:54 PM
Who was it? I saw a few comedians while i was there.

Cameron Buchholtz I think is his name... I know him from another site.

squints

hey! i totally saw that guy. he was great. had some serious balls. Right after him was one of the only hip-hop acts at the festival so there was a large crowd of black dudes waiting and cameron, whose this skinny white guy, tells this joke about how flava-flav would make the perfect slave.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

squints

just saw tv on the radio last night.
great show.

a method, the wrong way, wolf like me, staring at the sun were the best.
shitty sound though. this venue has always sucked for sound. in 2002 i saw modest mouse there and i remember issac brock screaming at the sound guy "i'm going to fucking kill you."

it was a good time but i still kinda wish i woulda saved my thirty bucks.

pete

I saw them on Friday night.  The sax guy was my friend from back East so I saved my 30 bucks.  I thought I was gonna get to hang with the band but they packed up immediately and left for portland right after.
my favorite was Crying.
and my venue had shitty sound as well, everything sounded echo-y, no matter where you stood, at the Fox Theater.  I saw M. Ward there the weekend before and K'naan a few months before that, all the same.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Live Nation nixes some ticket fees
Surcharges dropped on Wednesdays this summer
Associated Press

Live Nation Inc., the world's largest concert promoter, is opening the summer season with a promotion every Wednesday that eliminates some ticket fees, the surcharges that have caused fans to revile its soon-to-be merger partner, Ticketmaster Entertainment Inc.

Live Nation is scrapping fees for U.S. amphitheater lawn seats this summer in a 24-hour sale on its Web site starting at 12:01 a.m. in every local time zone on Wednesday. Fans will save around $9 to $12 on a ticket that typically costs $20 to $25.

Artists playing at the 43 Live Nation venues covered by the promotion include Aerosmith, Coldplay, Phish, Nickelback and Kid Rock. Five million tickets are up for grabs this Wednesday.

The company plans to continue the promotion, though on a smaller scale, every Wednesday this summer.

"We know people hate fees," said Live Nation's chief executive of global music, Jason Garner. "We just want to have one day to say to fans, 'We've heard you loud and clear and appreciate your support. Escape and enjoy a great show."'

Despite the recession, the company said in May that ticket sales for its summer concerts were ahead of last year's pace. Still, there's room to sell many more tickets. Live Nation says about 40% of all concert seats go empty. And for a typical summer concert, more than half of the 13,000 lawn tickets at a 20,000-capacity venue are left unsold.

Ticket surcharges usually help pay the ticket-selling company -- often Ticketmaster -- and the venue owner. The artists typically collect most of their revenue from the base price of the ticket.

By launching its own ticketing Web site in January, Live Nation became able to cut the surcharge in hopes of making that money up in other ways from people coming to the venues it owns.

Live Nation's move to sell its own tickets also threatened to take a 15% bite out of Ticketmaster's annual sales. But the companies announced merger plans in February. This proposed combination of the largest ticket-seller and largest concert promoter sparked an antitrust investigation that is still ongoing. The companies expect their merger to be completed in the second half of the year, assuming regulatory approval.

Ticketmaster experimented with its own kind of no-fee tickets starting last year when it baked the surcharges into the price of tickets for Eagles concerts.

After the merger, Garner says, the combined company might adopt the promotional formula Live Nation is trying.

"If it works, everybody benefits," he said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Animal Collective tonight, bitches.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

grizzly bear last week.  they were great.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Just returned from seeing Metric @ The Wiltern. Easily one of the best concerts I've been to! Emily Haines is so uttery sexy and mesmerizing. I was close enough to the stage to touch her... and I did.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

TV On The Radio @ Central Park Summerstage

I bought these tickets 3 months ago thinking "wow, June.  Summer!  That will be great." But the night of the show it was 50 degrees and pouring rain.  I hoped it would be cancelled but it wasn't so we stood in the rain, got completely soaked and I just kept wishing I could enjoy the show because they were awesome.  Luckily they're playing Prospect Park in Brooklyn in August so I get a do-over.  I hope it doesn't fucking rain.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

i went to Cinematic Titanic at the Inwood in Dallas on Saturday.
there was some music performed so it qualifies barely for this thread.

unfortunately, the sound was horrible so i didn't hear any of the movie's dialog and missed a good deal of the riffing.

oh, and i did get to see a local Eisley acoustic show with Max Bemis of Say Anything as well (he's married to one of them).

someone else here knows their music but i don't recall who.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SiliasRuby

Is it just me or does emily haines look like a young madonna?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Quote from: SiliasRuby on June 09, 2009, 01:03:59 PM
Is it just me or does emily haines look like a young madonna?

It's you, and how dare you compare.  :elitist:

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection