Anyone seen any good shows lately?

Started by smash, September 21, 2004, 12:48:39 AM

SiliasRuby

Going to see Elton John and Billy Joel in late march and then going to coachella.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

New Feeling

I saw David Byrne performing songs by Byrne & Eno on Sunday and it was amazing.  For some reason there were 5 empty seats front and centre for the whole show so finally for the encore I just went and took the best seat in the house and spent the last 4 songs rocking out about 4 feet from David  :shock:

it was like my own private stop making sense. 

a clip (by someone else):

john

Dave Rawlings Machine has had a pretty extended residency at Largo for the last couple months and I've been attempting to catch them as often as I can.

For those unfamiliar, DRM is Rawlings on lead and Gillian Welch doing backup - with guest accompaniment for the likes of Jenny Lewis, Jon Brion, Benmont Tench, the Watkins Family Sebastian Steinberg, and others. Usually two hours of Rawlings originals and inspired covers. If you have the chance to catch them (and you're into that sort of thing) do so. It's rare, and beautiful, and fucking exciting.

For the Northern California inclined, they're playing next week at the Great American in SF and the Rio in Santa Cruz. I'm going to both and they are both going to be fucking amazing.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Stefen

^ I would have loved to see that. I'll have to catch DRM next time they come to the Southwest.

I saw No Age on Saturday. They played in this tiny little suite. It was like a dentists office. It could hold about twenty people but we had it packed 70 deep. I had to leave midway through for two reason. 1) there was no booze. 2) 70 hipsters/hippies packed shoulder to shoulder filled the little bit of fresh air we had in the place with the foulest stench EVER. I think I was surrounded by hte 5 smelliest mofo's ever. Like sweat and ass drenched with sun dried mayonnaise. AWFUL.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SiliasRuby

I saw elton john and billy joel last week. Amazing Amazing stuff. I couldn't be happier with how the concert went. Every hit was done and made beautiful. I don't mean to seem completely girly but the concert had a power to it that made it so worthwhile.

My Collection

SiliasRuby

When I walked into the House Of Blues on the sunset strip on March 21st after a devestatingly boring saturday, I was a bit, well....apprehensive. I held some reservations because most tribute bands are well, lukewarm. but I had heard that these guys (Led zepagain) were as close to the real thing that you will ever see in your life. I have only been to the HOB on sunset once before and that was only briefly for my job. Its velvetly curtains and three bars that ring around the stage like prowling wolves around a dead baby bird carcass is quite interesting. I was unaware at the revelation, the spiritual experience, the musical intensity I was going to feel that night.

I thought the concert started at 8:00PM and ended at 11:00PM because that was what was on my ticket. I got there at 7:42PM and in line 5 minutes later, worried as all hell. You know me. So, I thought it was going to be at the most three hours of music. Boy, was I ever wrong.  Thank goodness for that. The concert I was told by the bartender as I ordered a jack and sprite. 'What Mikey?!?!" Yes, a jack daniels and a sprite. They didn't have seagrams. Stopped serving it.

Well, I guess Led Zepagain is only going to play one hour of the setlist of the legendary '77 world tour, since I knew there was going to be a doors cover band (Peace Frog). I relaxed and took a sip from my drink and waited. After a few moments, I went down and struck up a conversation with a couple of groups of people. One group was two ladies that were around my age, casual dressed. Upstanding sexy. Naturally beautiful. Naturally they weren't from Los Angeles but Pasadena. And so (yet again) naturally they were NOT single. The second group was a noted group of heavy hard rockers. They go to any and all rock concerts. After a chat with them, the lights dimmed and it was time for Peace Frog, the doors tribute band.

Peace Frog had the attitude and the music cued up for the experience. They had a hell of a set and he lead singer playing Morrison had his personality to a T, drinking Beer, screaming and cursing. Hating and getting off on the audience. He didn't pull out his dick but he did everything else. They didn't do any of the doors hit singles though...

Peace Frog's set closed and at 10:05PM Led Zepagain took the stage and opened with saying "Are you ready for over two hours of Led Zeppelin music. They rocked the fuckin house. It was the best concert I've ever been to in my life. That includes elton john and billy joel, rolling stones, bob dylan, kid rock, and the fucking beach boys. They had the look, the power, ingenuity, the heart, the skill and the energy of Led zeppelin in their seventies prime.  Oh fuck, it was wonderful. I've never felt more at home with the people there than I did in a long time. They ended their set at 12:37 and my god it was wonderful.

The set list for the night (I believe) was:
"The Song Remains the Same" (Page, Plant)
"The Rover" (intro)/"Sick Again" (Page, Plant)
"Nobody's Fault but Mine (Page, Plant)
"In My Time of Dying" (Page, Plant, Bonham, Jones)
"The Ocean"
"Since I've Been Loving You" (Page, Plant, Jones)
"No Quarter" (Page, Plant, Jones)
"Ten Years Gone" (Page, Plant)
"The Battle of Evermore" (Page, Plant)
"Going to California" (Page, Plant)
"Black Country Woman" (Page, Plant) / "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp" (Page, Plant, Jones)
"White Summer"
"Black Mountain Side" (Page)
"Kashmir" (Bonham, Page, Plant)
"Out on the Tiles" (intro)
"Over the Top"/"Moby Dick" (Page, Jones, Bonham)
"Guitar Solo" (Page) / "We Gonna Groove"
"Achilles Last Stand" (Page, Plant)
"Stairway to Heaven" (Page, Plant)
"Whole Lotta Love" (Bonham, Dixon, Jones, Page, Plant)
"Rock and Roll" (Page, Plant, Jones, Bonham)

My Collection

cinemanarchist

Got tickets for Pitchfork Festival this summer. Went to see Crystal Castles last night in Dallas and the doors were supposed to open at 8pm and they made everyone wait outside until after 10 before canceling the show. I know a guy that works at the venue and apparently they were just too fucked up to go on. Looks like success may have finally gone to their head, or up their nose, or in their veins.

*Update...the venue at the Crystal Castles show refunded everyone's money AND gave out a free ticket to an upcoming show of your choice...so I got a free ticket to see Grizzly Bear in June because C.C. are a couple of fuck-ups.*
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Stefen

Quote from: cinemanarchist on April 15, 2009, 08:38:29 AM
Got tickets for Pitchfork Festival this summer. Went to see Crystal Castles last night in Dallas and the doors were supposed to open at 8pm and they made everyone wait outside until after 10 before canceling the show. I know a guy that works at the venue and apparently they were just too fucked up to go on. Looks like success may have finally gone to their head, or up their nose, or in their veins.

I was following this whole saga on Twitter through GorillaVsBear.

What a bunch of deadbeats.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

OrHowILearnedTo

good. they're fucking terrible. Alice Glass is the biggest cunt since...ever.

Neil

Quote from: OrHowILearnedTo on April 16, 2009, 01:23:08 AM

good. they're fucking terrible. Alice Glass is the biggest cunt since...ever.

with all that said in the past 3 posts, i mean, that was pretty fucking indie-core of them, you do have to admit....

and silas; the things you evoked in that blurb inspires me on many levels. I would've killed to have watched that show.

EDIT

I think i'm going to rothbuy this year, if anyone in xixax land is going, we should get creepy and meet.

http://www.rothburyfestival.com/festival/artists.php

I'm not really sure where most people are from, but lil' ol' me in illinois thinks it will be a neat time
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

squints

I just went to this thing here in Oklahoma called the Norman Music Festival last night. I played a show at 3pm to about 250+ people and spent the rest of the day getting shit-faced and chatting it up with Honus Honus from Man Man and Kevin Barnes from Of Montreal. Of Montreal were alright. Not the biggest fan but man man was fucking incredible. Wasn't sure how their sound would translate to main-stage epic-ness but it totally did and was totally amazing, inspiring, magical. I ran into barnes on the street and he showed me some of his pictures on his iphone that he had been taking around the place. Nice fella. In the hospitality tent i ate brisket with friends in bands like the Evangelicals and Other Lives. I did a video interview shortly after our set and i'm embarrassed to say that i was extremely hammered for this and i probably look like a tool but between this in Norman, and another festival called D-Fest in Tulsa...oklahoma fuckin rocks.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

RegularKarate

I can pretty much guarantee that festival is the coolest thing Norman has ever had.  I know another guy that did some stand-up for it.  Wish that I could have gotten in on that action.

Stefen

Sounds like you had an awesome time, Squints. Your bands becoming pretty big time, isn't it?

I sort of have a gay crush on Kevin Barnes. I mean, I wouldn't suck him off or anything, but I'd probably give him a squeezer through his jeans.

SiliasRuby

My Collection

squints

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 28, 2009, 01:44:06 PM
I can pretty much guarantee that festival is the coolest thing Norman has ever had.  I know another guy that did some stand-up for it.  Wish that I could have gotten in on that action.

Who was it? I saw a few comedians while i was there.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche