Anyone seen any good shows lately?

Started by smash, September 21, 2004, 12:48:39 AM

RegularKarate

Quote from: squints on November 12, 2008, 10:46:50 AM
What did you perform as RK?

One half of Ramirez and Gilstrap.  We did a comedy act on the impossible to find stage 2.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: RegularKarate on November 12, 2008, 11:46:20 AM
Quote from: squints on November 12, 2008, 10:46:50 AM
What did you perform as RK?

One half of Ramirez and Gilstrap.  We did a comedy act on the impossible to find stage 2.

I did "enjoy" how the stages seemed to go in no particular order and 2 was particularly out of the way. Keeping Austin weird all the way down to randomly numbered and placed stages. It was also so very Austin that the one BB-Q stand had four vegan options and only two non-vegan options. The road is truly paved with marijuana in that town.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

cinemanarchist

Going to see Crystal Castles in Brooklyn on New Year's Eve...actually New Year's Day because the 11:45pm show sold out and they added another one at 2am(doors open at 2am, mind you), which I was able to get tickets to. That is going to be a long and wild night.

Stefen

What are you doing in NY? Vacation? Business? Asshole Convention?

I'll be seeing Andrew Bird and Fucked Up in February at a place a couple blocks from my apartment which means I can get hammered and walk home.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: cinemanarchist on December 19, 2008, 01:05:40 PM
Going to see Crystal Castles in Brooklyn on New Year's Eve...actually New Year's Day because the 11:45pm show sold out and they added another one at 2am(doors open at 2am, mind you), which I was able to get tickets to. That is going to be a long and wild night.

CC is ALWAYS playing at local bars here in Toronto. I don't even think they're that great. Anyway, enjoy your show!

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Stefen on December 19, 2008, 02:06:22 PM
What are you doing in NY? Vacation? Business? Asshole Convention?

I'll be seeing Andrew Bird and Fucked Up in February at a place a couple blocks from my apartment which means I can get hammered and walk home.

I do like to mix business with asshole. Nah, I'm just visiting some friends and enjoying the city. I saw CC not too long ago and it was a crowd of maybe 150 and I had just the right amount to drink, so it was a great show to me. We'll see if they've stepped up their game since then.

Stefen

Alcohol enhances musical experiences greatly. The greatest live bands I've ever seen have been shitty bands I saw while buzzed. I also get alot better at pool and guitar hero/rock band.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Stefen on December 19, 2008, 03:08:52 PM
Alcohol enhances musical experiences greatly. The greatest live bands I've ever seen have been shitty bands I saw while buzzed. I also get alot better at pool and guitar hero/rock band.

I too rule at drunk Rock Band. Stoned Rock Band, on the other hand, is pretty pathetic.

hedwig

Alcohol enhances musical experiences greatly.
depends on the band. drunk at dethklok: ridiculously fun/dangerous. :shock:

cool, i'll be in NYC for new year's eve too. you know of any other shows/shit going on that night?

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Hedwig on December 19, 2008, 04:15:58 PM
Alcohol enhances musical experiences greatly.
depends on the band. drunk at dethklok: ridiculously fun/dangerous. :shock:

cool, i'll be in NYC for new year's eve too. you know of any other shows/shit going on that night?

Not sure of anything else going on...well I know My Morning Jacket is playing The Garden but other than that, no. I will let you know if I here of anything else worth mentioning.

Stefen

Saw Fucked Up last night with a friend. It was a lot of fun. I never go out on work nights, but I'm trying to make a conscience effort to get out more whenever a band comes around. I usually never go, then end up regretting it.

Dead tired at work, so don't expect any witty remarks today.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I was pondering the lack of concerts I've attended in a while, and almost instantly a bunch swooped into my radar.  My choices are among:

Goblin Cock
Pelican
Crystal Castles
Ratatat
Simian Mobile Disco

Are there any particular live shows among these that I cannot afford to miss?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

I've only hear Ratatat and Crystal Castles. Or is it Crystal Antlers I heard? Maybe Crystal Stilts?

Whatever, regardless, it's always good to get out and support anyone you're interested in when they come to town, but If you could only choose two, I'd choose those two only because they're the only ones I heard.

I always try and buy some merch but usually by the end of the night I've spent all my money on booze. :o(

I bought an awesome Fucked Up cassette a couple weeks ago. It was all I had enough money for.

private witt

2006 was the year that bands all named themselves after wolves.  2007 was the year that bands named themselves after deers.  And 2008 was the year that bands named themselves after crystals.
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye