Lucky Louie (and now Louie)

Started by Ravi, June 09, 2006, 12:42:41 AM

Ravi

Watch the first episode here (requires name, ZIP code, and birthday)

MILD SPOILERS

The pilot is not a gimmicky family-sitcom-with-cursing show. It is honest and not sugarcoated about the anxieties of the characters. For example, Louis' dialogue on the park bench. How often have we heard dialogue on thinking about getting out of a marriage that wasn't completely jokey? I'm sure the idea of being with one person forever is something most people are ambivalent about at the beginning of a marriage.

It's nice for a change to see a neighbor that isn't wacky,and that the main characters live in an apartment. Even the Bundys lived in a house. Money troubles are an uncommon problem in sitcoms, but this episode is about that. I'm sure it will be an important part of future episodes as well.

Pubrick

"Sorry, this video is limited to United States users only."

lucky ravi.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Pubrick on June 09, 2006, 02:35:06 AM
"Sorry, this video is limited to United States users only."

lucky ravi.

lucky nobody.

Whatever third party they use for name/zip validation is fucked.  Everyone's talking about how great this show it, but I still haven't seen it.

Ravi

It worked for me.  If you weren't able to see it and don't have HBO, one of the torrent sites should have it up soon after it airs.

picolas

i think this guy's stand-up is amazing but the previews are surprisingly crappy. and i couldn't finish pootie tang. louieck.com is very worth looking at though.

grand theft sparrow

Allow me to be the first to say it: it's no Curb.

BUT it's pretty damn funny.  I was very skeptical after those ads despite the fact that I LOVE Pootie Tang but it's good.  It's such a dead-on parody of the 3-camera sitcom.  I don't think it's going to last but it will have a decent-sized cult following.

MacGuffin

'Lucky' in name only, not in ratings
'Louie' draws only an average of 1.5 million viewers, making it one of the worst premieres for an HBO comedy.
By Scott Collins, Times Staff Writer

HBO hoped to reinvent the traditional network sitcom with "Lucky Louie," comic Louis C.K.'s show about a bickering, sexually frustrated young married couple that some have already described as "Everybody Loves Raymond" with curse words.

But viewers evidently found "Louie's" Sunday premiere a little too TV and not enough HBO, handing the network one of its worst comedy-series premieres. An average of 1.5 million viewers turned out for "Louie," according to figures from Nielsen Media Research. That's far below the June 1998 rollout of "Sex and the City" (3.7 million), the October 2000 debut of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" (3.1 million) and even the July 2004 premiere of the showbiz satire "Entourage" (1.9 million), the results of which were considered disappointing at the time.

The rest of HBO's Sunday lineup fared little better. The western "Deadwood" returned for its third season with just 2.4 million viewers. And at 11 p.m., the debut of "Dane Cook's Tourgasm" — a video chronicle of the life of the brash stand-up comic and three pals that was generally savaged by critics — gathered just 1.1 million viewers.

Perhaps the only bright spot came from Sunday's Season 3 debut of "Entourage," which attracted 2.7 million viewers, up 69% from the second-season premiere last June. Still, that performance is far lower than the glory days of "Sex and the City."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

so it seems all ratings have been sucking with HBO lately..

the show was good though, i liked it. all sitcoms are usually all corny, tame and lame. oh, and unfunny. so this was refreshing. it'll probably just last a season though.

grand theft sparrow

Last night's episode was phenomenal.  It's not that the show was about sex but the way it portrayed and talked about sex was so honest.  Last night clinched it for me: if they had the same jokes done in a single-camera format, more people would realize how good it is.  But it's too vulgar (read: real) for the "Everybody Loves Raymond" set and looks too much like "Everybody Loves Raymond" for most other people to give it a shot.

Is there a "Save 'Lucky Louie'" petition site yet?

Ravi

Quote from: becksparrow on June 19, 2006, 08:28:03 AMLast night's episode was phenomenal.  It's not that the show was about sex but the way it portrayed and talked about sex was so honest.

Most sitcoms keep sex at a distance, and when they do deal with it, the treatment is goofy and inconsequential, as if its embarassing to talk about it.  So they just make immature jokes, cue the laugh track, and move on.  The second episode of Lucky Louie shows sex as a part of a couple's relationship.

Jerry Minor's deadpan delivery is spot-on.  Its great that he and his wife are relatable people and not The Crazy Couple Across The Hall.

matt35mm

I don't have HBO, unfortunately, but I caught this at my cousin's house last night, and it's worth adding a bit more to the praise pile, I think.  I especially liked the "I cut myself shaving and cum came out" line, and the last line was just right, as well.

Catch it before it's cancelled.

RegularKarate

Quote from: matt35mm on June 20, 2006, 04:54:15 PM
Catch it before it's cancelled.

Yesterday, Louis went on The View and before he came out, Barbara Walters decided to go on record saying that the show was offensive and vulgar.
Hopefully, this statement will get more to watch it.
Especially when Fonzie is on his side.

diggler

Quote from: becksparrow on June 19, 2006, 08:28:03 AM
Last night's episode was phenomenal.  It's not that the show was about sex but the way it portrayed and talked about sex was so honest.  Last night clinched it for me: if they had the same jokes done in a single-camera format, more people would realize how good it is.  But it's too vulgar (read: real) for the "Everybody Loves Raymond" set and looks too much like "Everybody Loves Raymond" for most other people to give it a shot.

Is there a "Save 'Lucky Louie'" petition site yet?

i gotta admit. i love this show. watching people interact realistically in a sitcom format really shows how ridiculous most sitcoms are. it'll probably last a season and hopefully find a following on dvd
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

grand theft sparrow

Louis C.K. on The View.

http://web.mac.com/snowpants1/iWeb/Lucky%20Louie/The%20View.html

or

(QT mov, 18.7MB)

admin edit: option to save

Pedro

This has quickly become one of my favorite shows.  I love the timing.  This last episode is the best so far.I was also suprised to see that it was written by Dino Stamatopoulos of Mr. Show "fame".  Now that the characters have been well defined, the interactions of those characters are just getting better.

When Laura Kightlinger is screaming OhmygodOhmygodOhmygodOhmygod and Mike is like "I dont want to die to the sound of that shit", yeah, that's a good moment.