Spike Jonze (and now Megan Ellison)

Started by Teddy, May 23, 2003, 11:20:41 PM

Raikus

Lets just get this right out of the way now.

Oooh! Maybe it's The 3!!!
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

ElPandaRoyal

QuoteOooh! Maybe it's The 3!!!

Now that you mentioned it... at least it makes perfect sense considering what's been the Kaufman/Jonze collaboration until this point.
Si

coffeebeetle

Malkovich...it's just more of a fun ride IMO.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

AK

I do believe Spike made the best video clips from this last decade but when i watch BJM and (mostly) Adaptation , the only thing i can see is how increduble KAufmann is....these two movies are all about the screenwriting! Spike it is great...but i wish i could see one movie from him without Kaufmann writing the script.

coffeebeetle

Cheers to the Kauffman nod.  I think the man's absolutely brilliant.  Jonze wouldn't have the renown that he has w/o Kauffman's pen.  Personally I like Jonze's wife's/fiance's directing skills better.  But hey, that's just me.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

AK

Quote from: coffeebeetlePersonally I like Jonze's wife's/fiance's directing skills better.  But hey, that's just me.

I couldn't agree more. I watched Lost in Transition 2 days ago and it was a sweet surprise. She kept the writing simple and delivers a delightful movie (as Virgin Suicides)

Vile5

I liked Being John Malkovich more than Adaptation, in fact i liked Adaptation too but i felt disappointed at the end...
but talking about Jonez's videos, my favorite is It's Oh So Quiet from Björk, great video!!
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

aclockworkjj

Quote from: The Silver BulletI can see how making my opinion on certain films known might piss you off...

:roll:
well, I am pissed at you!!  Haha..

I am a huge fan of this guy...he gives me this false hope that working in the skateboard/ action sports industry can lead to better thigs.  Then again, it would be nice to have the money just given to me too....that prick!

Both movies kick ass in my opinion.

luctruff

i love both too, but i'm partial to adaptation.  it just grew on me so well.  and suddenly i forgot about BJM.  i'm anticipating more about that horror film collaboration.  i'll bet kauffman can write a pretty funny, fucked up horror film...
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes out something old! Remember that time I took a home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

Teen Wolf

Has anybody seen the Jonze short entitled, How They Get There. I just read this review on imdb and it really makes me want to see it. I couldn't find it on Atom Films, though...

User Comments:

Date: 23 May 2003
Summary: How They Get There

I saw this short on Atom Films a couple of years ago and loved it so much, it hurt. I thought it was so simple yet creative and romantic that I nearly snuffed myself out after watching it. I was in my cubicle at the time of my first viewing, at a job that was going nowhere real fast and I was shook to the bone. With each effort, Spike never disappointed and with "How They Get There," I had had enough. I thought I had ideas, I thought I had something going, but after seeing what Spike did with this film, and how effortless it seemed, I lost everything. My film, "Girls Without Fathers" bombed. People booed it. It was a thirty-minute muddy movie. I even had walk-outs. Yet Spike had it all. Every single time he hit. Whether it was with Nike's Y2K campaign, or that dog's video "Hey, Old Timer," he was always on. For months after seeing this short I couldn't come up with a single hook. I had no vision, I couldn't even come up with one lousy snippet of dialogue. I couldn't sleep and I even entertained the thought of re-creating this piece, claiming it as my own. People would love me then. I would love me then. Afterall, who had seen it? Just me, as far as I was concerned. But, I never re-created it.

That day, after watching Spike's movie, I shared my thoughts with a married woman. A woman I worked with, just two cubicles over. A woman, who as an independent filmmaker, shook up the local Tulsa, Oklahoma scene with a just-as-stunning-as-How They Get There picture entitled, "Jimmy." She was marvelous, sun-kissed, stunning as a queen bee, and tapped into tons of new ideas, ideas she wasn't afraid to share because they were perfection and because they were abundant. Ideas that the Spike's, Wes Anderson's, PT's or Roman Coppola's of the world could never tap into, never get their hands on. An original with a unique voice and vision. I loved her then, just as I love her now. I was crushed by the fact she was married, just as I was crushed by the existence of "How They Get There," so original, so cute, and so brilliant. I told her everything, how I was useless, how my life had no meaning if I couldn't come up with a single idea, how I was never going to get anywhere by living intimidated by one man's work and how I feared my life was doomed to the confinement of those pink velvet crush walls of my cubicle. She listened. And she eased my pains, temporarily, with down cotton words and I went home that day feeling like someone really looked up to me as a creative entity; I napped on the encouragement. When I woke up, I watched the movie again and again I felt saddened. My girlfriend at the time just laughed at me, as she often did, and drank herself into a vomitous fit, as she often did, and ended messing around with my roommate's best friend, who ended up being, by chance, my co-worker's husband. The next morning, I vowed to never watch, "How They Get There" ever again. And I haven't to this day.

Call it what you will, but "How They Get There" served as a catalyst to how that woman I shared my pain with that day ended up becoming my live-in girlfriend and love of my life. Thanks, Spike. Two years strong. And not only is she a dream-come-true, but she's the secret behind all my fantasy. My muse. And she's incredibly encouraging.

coffeebeetle

Wow.  That was...beautiful.

shash

i vote for Adaptation.  the style of shots are more modern, the plot is very interesting, and i loooveee meryl streep's voice!  :lol:
how about the MVs that Spike Jonze had shot?
Bjork's "it's oh so quiet", fat boy slim's "weapon of choice"...etc
so damn original!!

MacGuffin

Spike Jonze Knows Where the Wild Things Are
Source: Variety

Universal has hired Spike Jonze to direct the Playtone-produced adaptation of Where the Wild Things Are, the classic children's book by Maurice Sendak. Playtone's Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman will produce with John Carls and Sendak.

The Adaptation and Being John Malkovich director will helm the live-action film, which was originally developed as a CGI project.

Published in 1963, it's the story about a mischievous boy who is sent to bed without supper. In his room, Max uses his imagination to conjure up a forest populated by the wild things, exotic monsters who embrace Max as their ruler.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

where does this leave his horror movie?  or rather, which project will be first?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

i was thinking the other day.........how is The 3 descibed as in Adaptation?..........a thriller / horror movie, right?........if anyone would do a movie about a movie they talked about in a movie, Kaufman / Jonze would

i loved WTWTA as a kid.........i went to the library and read it today..........it's going to be interesting how they make a 90 minute film out of it.........it's also going to be hard to match the imagery of the beautiful drawings

update: someone already raised The 3 question......sorry
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.