Blind Buys

Started by ono, May 31, 2003, 12:42:56 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Oh, but as for the UPS girl, I totally agree with you.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Derek

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaYou all do realize that you don't need to like or have all the classics to be cineasts, right?

Are you certain?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

ono

Yep.

Funny story, though.  Went to Best Buy tonight, trying to find some good cheap DVDs.  Retailers are silly in their pricing schemes.  It's just crazy to see something like Just Married sitting out there for $22.99 (yeah, it's a new release, so it's more expensive, I know), while I'm looking, trying to find some good deals.  Four good flicks, all for $9.99: South Park, Blood Simple, Y Tu Mama Tambien, and The Big Lebowski.  Blood Simple and Y Tu Mama Tambien I haven't seen, but I get the feeling they'll be worth it.

What can anyone tell me about the Jacob's Ladder, Basic Instinct, Requiem for a Dream, Say Anything..., and Bound DVDs?  Any good?

Sleuth

my unrated Requiem DVD is really excellent.  Two commentaries, both very insightful (for me anyway) and the Tappy's Third Rule hidden on it

that reminds me.  When I bought Requiem, I blind bought it in a bundle with Pi.  Probably the best $20 I will ever spend.
I like to hug dogs

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I blind bought Resevoir Dogs.  I'm happy.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobI blind bought Resevoir Dogs.  I'm happy.

wait.  you've never seen reservoir dogs?  is this a joke?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Quote from: Onomatopoeia

What can anyone tell me about the Jacob's Ladder, Basic Instinct, Requiem for a Dream, Say Anything..., and Bound DVDs?  Any good?

Definitely Requiem (but get that Pi double package, it is indeed the best deal ever!). Say Anything is great, with great extras. Bound is a really fun movie, but there's a commentary track from the Wachowskis that I vaguely remember as being good as well. Don't have Basic Instinct or Jacob's Ladder, but I've rented the latter and it has some deleted scenes and other extras. I don't like the movie enough to own it, though.

I too took adavantage of the 9.95 Blood Simple. I've seen the movie many times, but I never got the chance to listen to the commentary until now. It's golden. I didn't notice the Big Lebowski for the same price....I'll have to pick that up too, it's one of the only Coen movies I don't have.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaRequiem for a Dream,

Juice by dat!

dufresne

just bought Dog Day Afternoon and The Manchurian Candidate as blind buys...
There are shadows in life, baby.

chainsmoking insomniac

You won't regret man.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Alethia

i still cant believe i accidentally bought the edited version of requiem.  doesnt make much difference to the actual film itself, but the fuckin commentaries arent on it.  dammit..........guess ill havta rebuy it..........

SoNowThen

blind bought both olmi criterions. amazing. i think makes top five best blind buy ever list.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Quote from: GhostboyDefinitely Requiem (but get that Pi double package, it is indeed the best deal ever!). Say Anything is great, with great extras. Bound is a really fun movie, but there's a commentary track from the Wachowskis that I vaguely remember as being good as well.
I would, except I blind-bought Pi from Amazon.com awhile back and was thoroughly disappointed with the film, though the extras were okay.  Requiem, though, is something I definitely want to have.  I saw it on VHS a good while back and was of course thoroughly depressed at the end.  The film itself is great, but I'm more interested in Aronofsky's comments.

QuoteI too took adavantage of the 9.95 Blood Simple. I've seen the movie many times, but I never got the chance to listen to the commentary until now. It's golden. I didn't notice the Big Lebowski for the same price....I'll have to pick that up too, it's one of the only Coen movies I don't have.
Hope you get it soon.  You've probably seen it I'm sure; me, I keep on thinking about how brilliantly realized it is.  It's surely one of the best comedies I've ever seen.  It's so sophisticated and low-brow all at once, and the fantasy sequences are just brilliant.  Julianne Moore as a viking: rowr!

Ghostboy

The Big Lebowski is great, but that and Miller's Crossing and Hudsucker Proxy are the only movies of theirs I don't have. While I love all three of them,  I haven't gotten around to buying them yet.

The commentary tracks on Requiem are fantastic. The one with the DP, Matthew Libatique, is almost better than Arronofsky's.

Derek237

If you can understand what he's saying..... :-D

Funny, I've had the Requiem DVD for a little more than a year now and I still haven't listened fully to that commentary.