Polanski's Oliver Twist

Started by Ultrahip, June 12, 2005, 05:35:01 PM

Brazoliange

I thought this was really well-done, if a bit long. Polanski did a great job establishing the time period. It's a pretty predictable Hollywood story though.
Long live the New Flesh

Redlum

Quote from: BrazoliangeI thought this was really well-done, if a bit long. Polanski did a great job establishing the time period. It's a pretty predictable Hollywood story though.

?
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

mogwai

Pas

Quote from: BrazoliangeIt's a pretty predictable Hollywood story though.

Hahaha now this belongs in 'the stupidest thing you've ever heard someone say about a movie' thread.

Brazoliange

:yabbse-undecided: to clarify, you could tell that things were going to go up or down, [spoiler?] Oliver wouldn't be killed, it would have a big climatic ending. Hollywood-esque, sorry for my bad diction
Long live the New Flesh

Pas

Quote from: Brazoliange:yabbse-undecided: to clarify, you could tell that things were going to go up or down, [spoiler?] Oliver wouldn't be killed, it would have a big climatic ending. Hollywood-esque, sorry for my bad diction

It's all good but you still don't get it.

Tictacbk

I heard Charles Dickens originally wanted to make this on film but couldn't find the financial backing so he went with the written word instead.

Thank god its finally been made the way it was always supposed to be, can't wait to see it.

modage

for being the follow-up to his Best Director oscar, this really set the world on fire...

Title: Oliver Twist
Released: 24th January 2006
SRP: $28.95

Further Details
Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment has sent over the artwork for the Roman Polanski directed Oliver Twist which stars Ben Kingsley, Barney Clark, Leanne Rowe and Harry Eden. The disc will be available to own from the 24th January, and should retail at around $28.95. I'm afraid we have no further details on this one at the moment, but we'll bring you the full specs shortly. For now though, here's the artwork:

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Polanski reveals his twist to old Dickens story

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - When Roman Polanksi adapted the story of orphan Oliver Twist to the big screen, he drew inspiration from his own childhood during World War II, the director told a news conference on Sunday.

"I can relate to the situation. You know (Oliver's) long walk to London? I went through it exactly at the same age that the boy did," Polanski said in Jerusalem, where his 2005 movie "Oliver Twist" is being shown at a film festival this week.

The film had poor commercial success worldwide but has won attention inĀ Israel, a country where many survivors of the Nazi Holocaust live and where Polanski is to receive a lifetime achievement award.

The story of an orphan living on the streets of London in the 19th century, Oliver Twist, one of the more popular novels written by Charles Dickens, has been remade into a movie many times before.

Polanski, whose films are infamously dark and mysterious, used the memories of a childhood separated from his parents to create a harrowing story that may be strange to a generation familiar only with the musical incarnation "Oliver!"

He faced a challenge in how to portray the villain Fagan, a Jewish ringleader widely regarded as an infamous anti-Semitic character. Polanski made Fagan his lead character.

The son of a Polish Jew and a Russian immigrant, Polanski was born in Paris and moved to Poland at a young age before the outbreak of World War II. When Germany invaded, his family was broken up. His mother later died in a Nazi concentration camp.

Polanski recounted his flight from the Jewish ghetto in Krakow where he walked many kilometers with torn shoes and bleeding feet, an ordeal reflected in the film during Oliver's agonizing walk to London.

Late in a career abundant with controversy, Polanski released his first movie about the Holocaust, "The Pianist," in 2002, about a Polish Jewish musician struggling to survive the Warsaw Ghetto. He received an Academy Award for best director.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Yes, Roman, you lived through World War II as a kid, we know.....  :roll:
My house, my rules, my coffee

Derek237

I've been meaning to watch this movie for a second time. The first time I watched it I paid more attention to the direction of Polanksi rather than the acting of the great Ben Kingsley. Any actor who leaps from Roman Polanski/Charles Dickens to Uwe Boll/Playstation 2 fascinates me.