New script: Would appreciate feedback

Started by Recce, October 31, 2003, 10:05:31 PM

Recce

I sort of threw this script together. I'd appreciate any feedback and/or ideas for stuff I could change. Its far from a final draft, so any ideas at all would be great.

Man from Tomorrow (working title)
By David Di Francesco
1. INT. CAR, NIGHT
Tom drives his car on a cold and rainy evening. He pulls up to his street and attempts a parallel park, turning towards the camera to look behind him, revealing his face.
2. INT. TOM'S APARTMENT, NIGHT
John unlocks his front door and steps into his darkened apartment. He places his keys on a small hook by the door and steps into the living room. He reaches for a light switch on the wall. He switches it on, but nothing happens.
TOM #2
It's burned out.
Tom, a bit surprised, reaches for a baseball bat laid against the wall. He holds the bat up. A man sits in Tom's living room, his face shrouded in shadow. Beside him, a cigarette burns in a small plate used as an ashtray.
TOM
Who are you? How did you get in here?
TOM #2
Your landlord let me in.
Tom calms down slightly. He has lived here for four years and has never known his landlord to do something like this. Consequently, there must be a good explanation. Nevertheless, he holds the bat ready for action.
TOM
Do I know you?
TOM #2
You could say that.
Tom hesitates for a moment longer.
TOM
Well, are you going to tell me why you're here?
TOM #2
I have a favor to ask...It's Not going to be easy, but its something that needs to be done...for both our sakes.
TOM
Who are you? Really. Either tell me that or get the fuck out of here.
Tom raises the bat even higher.
TOM (CONT'D)
I don't believe my landlord let you in.
TOM #2
Oh, he let me in all right. I told him I had lost my keys.
TOM
What?!
The man stands up out of the shadow and walks towards Tom. Tom grips the bat even harder.
TOM (CONT'D)
Don't come any closer!
TOM #2
I'm not going to hurt you, Tom. In fact, I'm here to help you.
The man's face is finally revealed. It is Tom. The resemblance is unmistakable. Tom is obviously shocked by this development.
TOM #2 (CONT'D)
Now listen. I know this must be difficult for you. I still have trouble understanding it myself, but...I'm you.
TOM
Wh...what?!
TOM #2
I'm you. It's not important how its possible, but you have to believe me when I say, I'm you...do You understand?
TOM
Yea...yes. I think so.
TOM #2
Good. Now, you're seeing Stacy, right?
TOM
Stacy? What about her? Why do you want to know about Stacy?
TOM #2
Listen, Tom, I know you think you love her. Remember, I was you once. But she's no good.
TOM
NO!!! Get the fuck out of here!
TOM #2
Listen to me, Tom. She's no good for you. She will only hurt you.
TOM
Get out.
TOM #2
You will regret having ever met her.
TOM
Get out.
TOM #2
Are you listening to me, Tom?
TOM
GET OUT!!!
TOM #2
You have to kill her, Tom. You have to kill her before she is allowed to hurt you.
Tom pushes his counterpart out the door, still clutching the baseball bat. He slams the door in his face and locks it securely.
TOM #2 (CONT'D)
If you can't trust yourself, who can you trust? I've told you what you have to do. Now its up to you.
Tom sits against the door, panicked. He suddenly hears a sound and turns his head violently to see what it is.
3. INT. TOM'S BEDROOM, MORNING
An alarm clock rings. Tom's hand comes into frame and turns it off. He sits up in bed, rubbing his head as though he had a headache. He stands up and walks to the kitchen.
4. INT. KITCHEN, MORNING
Tom begins to make himself a bowl of cereal. He is obviously still disturbed by what he has seen. 'It was a dream, wasn't it?' he asks himself. The phone suddenly rings, catching Tom by surprise. He answers.
TOM
Hello?
TOM #2
You want proof, don't you? I can't say I blame you. It's a lot to take in.
TOM
Who is this? (knowing the answer)
Tom #2 sighs.
TOM #2
Listen. Tonight, Stacy will have a present for you. A cell phone. When you see that, you will believe me.
TOM
Assuming I would even buy this load of crap, I refuse to believe I would ever turn into you. I'm no murderer. And how is it even possible? You're me?! WHAT THE FUCK!!!
TOM #2
I told you it didn't matter how it was possible, it only matters that it is. Now, I told you what...
TOM
No, this is bullshit. So we look alike. I think you're some fucking whack job trying to manipulate me.
TOM #2
I've told you what you need to know. I'll call you later tonight...have you're answer ready.
Tom #2 hangs up. Tom hangs up the receiver. He stands, staring at the phone for a moment. He suddenly grabs the it and throws it up against the wall, shattering it. A woman's voice is heard.
STACY (V.O.)
So what happened to you today?
5. INT. RESTAURANT, EVENING
Tom and Stacy are sitting in a restaurant. Stacy is looking right at Tom, waiting for an answer to her question. Tom is not paying attention. Obviously, the developments of the last couple of days are weighing heavily on him.
STACY
Tom?
Tom suddenly snaps out of it.
TOM
Sorry? What?
STACY
What happened to you today. I kept trying to call you, but you never answered. Where were you? You told me you were staying home.
Tom hesitates to answer.
STACY (CONT'D)
What...are you cheating on me? (jokingly)
Tom forces a laugh.
TOM
No, no, my phone is just...broken.
Stacy accepts the answer, but hides a slight sign of doubt. He's not telling her everything. She knows this. But it's not important. She pulls a small box from her purse.
STACY
Anyways, I have something for you.
She places the small box in front of Tom. She smiles at him, proud of herself. Tom looks shocked.
TOM
What...what is it?
STACY
Open it and find out.
Tom unwraps the small box very slowly. He doesn't want to see what is inside.
STACY (CONT'D)
Come on...faster.
Stacy reaches over and helps him unwrap it faster. Tom finally opens the box and finds a cell phone.
STACY (CONT'D)
You like it? This way you don't have to worry about your broken phone.
Tom tries to force a smile.
TOM
Thanks, Stacy.
From his reaction, Stacy is disappointed. Tom looks at her suspiciously. He tries to imagine what she could have done to make him want to kill her.
STACY
If you don't like it, I'll just take it back. You just kept saying you wanted to get a cell phone.
TOM
No, Stacy, its great. Really...thank you.
He smiles sincerely for the first time. Stacy smiles back.
STACY
Ok, come on, we have to go. We're going to miss the movie.
Tom puts the cell phone in his pocket and they both stand up. He drops two twenties on the table and they begin to walk out of the restaurant.
6. INT. LIVING ROOM, NIGHT
Tom stands in the dark on the phone. The phone is duct taped together.
TOM
How did you know she was getting me a cell phone?
TOM #2
I already told you that. No more wasting time. You have to kill her. Trust me.
TOM
I won't do it, you fucking psycho.
TOM #2
She doesn't love you, Tom. You're a distraction to her. Nothing more. She's using you. Go into the kitchen and take a knife. Slit her fucking thr...
Tom hangs up on him. He carefully places the phone down, trying not to make too much noise. He walks towards his bedroom.
7. INT. BEDROOM, NIGHT
Tom stands in front of his bed. Stacy lays sleeping. He waits for a moment, then slips into bed beside her. He slowly closes his eyes and goes to sleep.
8. INT. BEDROOM, MORNING
Tom slowly wakes up. He lays in bed, properly waking himself up. He turns to face Stacy. She lies dead, covered in blood. Tom screams and jumps out of bed. He stands speechless for a few seconds. His clothes are also stained with blood. He moves towards her and attempts to wake her.
TOM
STACY!!! Stacy, wake up! Oh, god, please don't be dead.
He runs into the living room.
9. INT. LIVING ROOM, MORNING
Tom picks up the phone and dials '911'. An operator answers, but his phone suddenly gives out. He panics further and runs towards the front door. He opens it to find a police officer about to knock on his door. Tom stands, shocked. The police officer begins to form a sentence, but sees Tom's blood soaked clothing. He looks him straight in the eyes.
CUT TO BLACK
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")