Jim Sheridan (plus In America)

Started by Pubrick, August 10, 2003, 10:44:31 AM

Fernando

Saw it in the weekend, it was really really great, I didn't cry but was this close if you know what I mean. The performances were stellar, the two little girls were amazing, of course the cutest was Ariel (the youngest right?) but the older one was so perfect, I guess for me it's more difficult to relfect sadness at that age than beibg cute (I'm not diminishing Ariel's, I loved it believe me, just think the other one was perfect).

Now, one has to wonder if this film didn't get nominated because of people like me who couldn't see it before, heck, at least Morton or one of her kids for their performance or the screenplay for that matter, instead there's Lucy Lui in the supporting role which was good but not 'xixax award' material.

Gold Trumpet

I couldn't deny the lovability of the film, but I didn't think it was as great as everyone else said. The film was emotional, but I felt bullied all the time to feel emotional. I understood the movie was trying to look at it through the child's eyes a lot, but I more felt the camera looking at the children to just keep the audience involved because they were so darn gosh cute. Then there was a plethora of tragic events that I thought the film was being opportunistic because each tradegy and each emotional situation had the weight to carry an entire film but instead they all just glided through this film. The french film Ponette is a better film at looking at tradegy through the developing mind of a child and Whale Rider felt more sincere in its heavy emotion because the emotion came after an exploration of the situation.

Its not to say I didn't love the characters or ultimately the movie, because I did. Those feelings are private property. This is a discussion board.

modage

Another Oscar favorite comes home on May 11th when Fox Home Entertainment will release Jim Sheridan's acclaimed drama In America. This special edition will include an anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround track, plus an audio commentary, three featurettes and more to be announced. Stay tuned for final specs, and retail will list for $27.95.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sanjuro

i think this is an underrated film... kinda reminds me of how underrated leaving las vegas is... i mean everyone seemed to like in america, but i still feel that there is more to it than its emotional factor. that was one of the best stories ive seen in a long time.  Its a very powerful film. imo, this is the best film of the year, followed by 21 grams or lost in translation.
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02Another Oscar favorite comes home on May 11th when Fox Home Entertainment will release Jim Sheridan's acclaimed drama In America. This special edition will include an anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround track, plus an audio commentary, three featurettes and more to be announced. Stay tuned for final specs, and retail will list for $27.95.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

I saw this again and reacted emotionally enough to it the first time I wondered how I would do the second time. I found it already lost a lot of its emotional impact for me. The film had a feeling of stamped on nostalgia the last time for some of the scenes and that extended to every scene this time. Its not that I totally discourage this, but I found these appealing scenes trying to act for dramatic narrative like any other film instead of exist on its own terms of nostalgia like Fellini's Amarcord. Its feels more like easy access to providing drama instead of much of an accomplishment.

Pedro

fucking beautiful cover art, man

bonanzataz

i just got back from it. it was sap...but it was great sap. i very much enjoyed it.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

NEON MERCURY

bought it
saw it
loved it
recommend it
you wont regret it
i cried during it
i just couldn t believe it
the 'spell' the film captures all through it
an underrtaed film and filmmaker no doubt about it
sorry, thats it

spoil it
.....................................................but WAIT!.. i have a question about it
..her third wish??...to rid her father of th epain and suffereing of frankie and to get over it.?.?..

is that it?

modage

FIIIIINALLY saw this tonite.  very good.  it was my first sheridan film, with my left foot up next.  the two girls were EXCELLENT, (actually everyone in the film was, but its extra remarkable when you have such great acting from kids).  there were a few things that didnt work for me which kept it from really being great for me, but they were small.  it was definitely worth watching.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

El Duderino

i blind bought In America when it came out and forgot to comment on it. well, i rewatched it last night and i'm just floored. the direction is not just good, it's brilliant, along with the performances by the entire cast, Djimon Honsou in particular.  SPOILERS see, my brother died too when i was 12, so i know how this goes and i was surprised to see that Sheridan dedicated it to Frankie Sheridan /SPOILERS

if you havent seen this film, go rent it. you wont regret it
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

From Entertainment Weekly:

Director Jim Sheridan is teaming up with his daughter and In America coscreenwriter Naomi to create an NBC dramedy pilot called Three Brothers. "It's about an Irish father, who's not me, who comes over to America and opens an Irish restaurant, which doesn't work," he explains. "So he changes it to an Italian restaurant." That sounds quirky. "It's something like Northern Exposure," says Sheridan, who's working on two films: One's about "an American political family," the other's about "growing up in Dublin."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

Irish eyes smile on DreamWorks' 'Ikiru' remake

from Variety at Yahoo!

"In America" director Jim Sheridan has signed on to direct "Ikiru," the DreamWorks remake of the 1952 Akira Kurosawa film that is being crafted as a potential starring vehicle for Tom Hanks.

DreamWorks' Walter Parkes and Stone Village's Scott Steindorff are producing.

The updated drama has been scripted by "Freedomland" author Richard Price. Sheridan will work with the writer to hone his script.

Sheridan will shoot "Ikiru" in Gotham. It's the story of a low-level bureaucrat who discovers that after 30 years in the same job, he's contracted stomach cancer. Determined to seek more from the remaining moments of his life, the man initially seeks out decadent pursuits before deciding he wants to leave behind something memorable.

The remake rights to "Ikiru" were bought two years ago by Steindorff, who is currently prepping an adaptation of the T.C. Boyle novel "The Tortilla Curtain" with Kevin Costner and Meg Ryan starring.

Sheridan has not yet selected his next project.

Hanks next stars in the Robert Zemeckis-directed "Polar Express," produced by Playtone and Castle Rock for Warner Bros.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

modage

cine

Quote from: ranemaka13"In America" director Jim Sheridan has signed on to direct "Ikiru," the DreamWorks remake of the 1952 Akira Kurosawa film that is being crafted as a potential starring vehicle for Tom Hanks.
Whoever sees this is banned from Xixax.