explain , please!

Started by mina aphrodosia, June 05, 2003, 11:12:24 AM

mina aphrodosia

please, kubrick fans, don´t hate now, i really tried it but just couldn´t get it. i don´t understand his movies. they are boring and without any sense to me. i tried ti watch 2001 four times and never came to minute 30. what the hell did he do to lolita? best book in the world and he didn´t even understand what it´s about. or eyes wide shut: tom cruise walkes trough the city..you wait and then the movie is ending and you didn´t notice anything important, beautiful, special or whatever. could anybody please tell me why everybody says that he´s a genius?
Let´s be happy that we´re alive

SoNowThen

If the visual quality doesn't blow you away, or the truly bizarre way the characters regard each other doesn't make you laugh out loud... well, there's not much you can do. I guess you're not on the Kubrick wavelength. Just take a year off from watching his films, then come back when you need something different, and hopefully they will work. Because there's a deep treasure trove of brilliance in everything he does. It will hit you one day, maybe just give it some time...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

xerxes

Quote from: mina aphrodosiawhat the hell did he do to lolita? best book in the world and he didn´t even understand what it´s about.

well, i agree with you there

Keener

Rent Paths of Glory. It's somewhat more commercial in the sense he doesn't do anything really wild and the film is relatively short. It's regarded as one of the best war films of all time. Considering you only mentioned 2001, Lolita, and Eyes Wide Shut, have you seen The Shining and Full Metal Jacket ? You should check into those though I must warn you The Shining has alot of "slow" and "confusing" parts that loose a lot of people. A Clockwork Orange is regarded as one of his best but judging from your post I sincerly doubt you'd like it at the moment.

So if you can dig war films, rent:
Paths of Glory
Full Metal Jacket

And if you like dark comedies and Slim Pickens:
Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

SoNowThen

If you dig Rape, Ultraviolence, and Beethoven, you should totally go out and rent A Clockwork Orange.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: SoNowThenIf you dig Rape, Ultraviolence, and Beethoven, you should totally go out and rent A Clockwork Orange.

Pawbloe's Requirements for Movies
1. Rape
2. Ultraviolence
3. Beethoven
4. Hot Chicks

Ahhh... just missed it.

SoNowThen

Naw, there's definitely hot chicks in Clockwork. Hot naked chicks!

godardian

Quote from: xerxes
Quote from: mina aphrodosiawhat the hell did he do to lolita? best book in the world and he didn´t even understand what it´s about.

well, i agree with you there

I say a lot of people wrongly project a lot of deep-dark-SIGNIFICANCE to Lolita, when it has always had strong currents of dark comedy. If you don't appreciate Kubrick's going with that (which I really do), you have to also blame Nabokov, who put that emphasis into his script.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

xerxes

i don't deny that there was a great deal of dark comedy in lolita (i also believe that there is a good amount of "deep-dark" stuff in there too)... it is just, in my opinion, it cannot be made into a film... it just doesn't work in that format.

Ghostboy

I agree, and Lyne's faithful verison definitely proves this. Kubrick (and Nabokov) handled the material the best way possible, and it's a great film, but not for the same reasons as the book.

Cecil

Quote from: mina aphrodosiacould anybody please tell me why everybody says that he´s a genius?

cause we know where the secret option is on the dvds that play the "real version of the film." youre still watching the "boring version" if you just hit play.

Duck Sauce

I think you really have to pay attention to a Kubrick movie, if you are turning it off after 30 minutes you arent getting much out of it. Watch the full thing through, and it will all make sense in the end.,