Michael Bay Worship Thread

Started by modage, January 24, 2004, 11:56:06 PM

modage

does this guy have style to spare or what?  and was it just me, or did The Rock rule?  nobody directs slick action sequences like this guy.  he took Tony Scott's 80's crown and carried it himself into the 90's.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

I liked The Rock, but, fuck no, this guy is terrible. I'll take either Scott over him any day.

....wait a sec, did he do Bad Boys as well? If so, that was a decent action flick...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Jeremy Blackman

Alethia

michael bay makes me wanna throw up

modage

Quote from: SoNowThen....wait a sec, did he do Bad Boys as well? If so, that was a decent action flick...
yes, he did Bad Boys.  it was his first film.
Quote from: ewardmichael bay makes me wanna throw up
because he rules so hard?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

The Rock proved it was humanly possible for him to make a good film. I'm thinking that was a fluke film though.

modage

Quote from: CinephileThe Rock proved it was humanly possible for him to make a good film. I'm thinking that was a fluke film though.

the folks over at Criterion didn't think it was a fluke...

BAM!

cine

Do you seriously like Armageddon?

MacGuffin

Bay May Direct The Island for DreamWorks
Source: Variety

DreamWorks has bought Caspian Tredwell-Owen's spec script The Island for $1 million against $1.5 million. Michael Bay is circling the project to direct, says Variety.

Similar in theme to Logan's Run, the sci-fi thriller centers on a "harvested being" who becomes self-aware and must escape the utopian facility where he and others are being kept.

"The Island" is also similar in theme to Spares, a sci-fi novel by Michael Marshall Smith that Paramount is adapting. The studio was apparently interested in combining the two projects and attaching Tom Cruise, whose production company C/W has a deal with the studio, until DreamWorks snatched the project.

Tredwell-Owen recently wrote the Angelina Jolie starrer Beyond Borders. His current projects include the scripts A Very Private Gentleman for Universal, and another sci-fi thriller, After Man, for DreamWorks.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

visually i think michael bay has some talent. some of his shots, even in bad boys II, are quite remarkable. he just needs... uhh... a good script or something.

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinSimilar in theme to Logan's Run, the sci-fi thriller centers on a "harvested being" who becomes self-aware and must escape the utopian facility where he and others are being kept.
isn't that what the Matrix is about?  there are two of these flicks in the works?
Quote from: ©bradvisually i think michael bay has some talent. some of his shots, even in bad boys II, are quite remarkable. he just needs... uhh... a good script or something.
visually, and as an action director i think he is about the best out there.  i agree, if he had a good script/cast to pull it off, i think he could make a really really cool movie.  he needs a 'pirates/johnny depp' movie to break big and be loved by all.

molly

he uses the same music in every movie, just a barely noticable variation of that one in The Rock - in my opinion, that movie is worth to be seen only for Ed Harris, John Spencer and partially Nicholas Cage(not because of the performance, but b/c of the terrible lines)

mogwai

i want to rip michael bay's guts out and force him to eat it up. and i would film it and sell the stuff on ebay. i would do the same thing to jerry bruckheimer.

and no, i haven't seen 120 days of salo.

Alethia

any director that is more interested in filming explosions than interesting scenes between characters sucks in my book.....

from IMDB:

Actors have often noted that he places more importance on the visuals than on his characters and actors. He is also known to do very few takes of intimate character-driven scenes, as he prefers to spend more time on action sequences and visually-interesting moments.

see what i mean?  he should stick to commercials.....

modage

HEY!  worship only!  uhh, 1. he doesnt write the scrips 2. or the scores.  3. if the actors did their jobs and ACTED, (which is what he hired them for), few takes wouldnt be a problem.  4. if he had a tarantino script, he could make a great movie.

explosions are cool too.  if you want characters go to sundance, if you want explosions go to Bay!  cant both co-exist in peace?  why shouldnt there be a place for action movies too?  plus, if you're talking about that kind of directing, he's up there at the top of the heap. so, if you're going to do something, might as well be among the best, right?  directing action is an art in itself.  how hard is it to put 2 good actors in a two shot?  cant both be appreciated for being different art forms?