The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

guys that shot is an echo of this:

under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Nice! And congrats on the scoop. It's nice to hear that he appreciates you guys. But he couldn't have provided a higher-resolution image, really?

Is it just me, or does PSH look like he's in mid-dance in those frames?

modage

Good call.  I messed around a little more in Photoshop and got this.

http://twitpic.com/9lehjz

Looks like The Master is dancing into the next room while bystanders clap for him. To the side is a piano & a woman playing an upright bass.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

Awesome. Still holding out for a better title.

Reel

the WHITE master.. haha, jk

polkablues

This movie is not representative of the cult that I live in.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Robyn

Quote from: ©brad on May 15, 2012, 11:32:42 AM
Awesome. Still holding out for a better title.

I have to agree on this. "The Master" is okay, but it's no "Punch-Drunk Love" or "There will be Blood"

Jeremy Blackman

Mod, your linked picture is not working. I want to see it!

modage

Jeremy Blackman

That's a bit better.

It looks like he's doing a frumpy old man dance, too.

Jeremy Blackman

Haha exactly.

That scene is now ruined for me.

P Heat

Robert Downey SR. says he's seen "90 minutes of his new movie" and says "its great". Also calls P.T the west coast Martin Scorsese. lolwut?

http://projection-booth.blogspot.com/2012/03/episode-55-putney-swope.html

at the 38 minute mark.  The man has beat Emily Watson's record.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

modage

Thanks for the headsup, P Heat.

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/2012/05/pta-joins-robert-downey-sr-in.html

Update 5/16:  During a completely unrelated Downey Sr. interview with the Projection Booth podcast (about the 38 minute mark), the subject of PTA came up when he was asked about filmmakers who have been influenced by his work. "Well, Paul I've known a long time," Downey Sr. said. "I knew him before he made a feature. In fact, he's going to do the interview with me for the [Criterion] box set. Yeah, he's a good guy. I've seen 90 minutes of his new movie ["The Master"] too, it's great." Looks like PTA is continuing to show the unfinished film to his close circle of friends as you'll remember Emily Watson had seen 30 minutes back in December. This also means the film is probably running quite a bit over 90 minutes as it seems unlikely everything but the final few minutes would've been screened. (For reference TWBB: 158 min, PDL: 95 min, MAG: 189 min, BOOGIE: 156 min, H8: 102 min.)

Continuing his kind words about Paul he said, "He's an interesting character. He's actually the West Coast Marty Scorsese in a way, he knows every film that was ever shot. He's one of those guys...In fact he asked me if he could use the firecracker scene [from "Putney Swope"] in "Boogie Nights," I said 'Of course.' I like that film." Also of interest is that a few years ago Paul had apparently been talking to Downey about potentially writing something based on events from his life. "He was interested in my teenage years when I was in and out of prison and the army. And I think he thought at one time that that kinda stuff might be interesting. He's heard a lot of stories from me. I remember talking about that. He's talked about it other times but he's got a lot of thoughts on his mind, he's always thinking." You can listen to the entire thing over at The Projection Booth. (via xixax).