I got the PDL DVD - The definitive thread

Started by aurora, June 19, 2003, 04:50:16 AM

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

You know what would be really humorous?  

If someone, who had never seen any other Adam Sandler stuff saw PDL and was like "Hey!  I ought to check out some more of this actor's stuff!"
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

generally when someone introduces a sentence by saying,  
Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobYou know what would be really humorous?
they usually follow with something funny.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Cecil

Quote from: themodernage02generally when someone introduces a sentence by saying,  
Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobYou know what would be really humorous?
they usually follow with something funny.

generally when someone complains, there needs to be something to complain about  :-D

Pubrick

generally when sumone is right, it's not cecil.
under the paving stones.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

chainsmoking insomniac

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

chainsmoking insomniac

Actually, the final two sentences make me wanna give the writer of the review a big fat wet smoochie-woochie..... :P
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Ravi

If you don't like the cardboard cover, wait until Hollywood Video starts selling used copies.  They usually have special Amaray case artwork for movies that come in cardboard cases (Royal Tenenbaums, Harry Potter) or those Warner snapper cases.  That's what I'm gonna do.

Studios, just do what Criterion does and use the double Alpha case!

tpfkabi

two observations:

1. is Lonely Blue Boy a lot lower in the mix on the DVD than in the theater?
that little riff really sets the scene for a big "showdown," but i could barely make out anything on the DVD mix

2. that shot when Barry is running from the brothers....when he lunges forward and then emerges much smaller running down the street..........can someone make sense to me on this? is it just supposed to be weird?
i watched it in slow mo a couple times....i never even noticed the big flashing arrow before......really cool detail
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Sal

Quote from: bigideastwo observations:

1. is Lonely Blue Boy a lot lower in the mix on the DVD than in the theater?
that little riff really sets the scene for a big "showdown," but i could barely make out anything on the DVD mix

I noticed that, too.  Difficult to compare if the mix is the same between the DVD and the theater -- I assume that they don't touch the mix after it's been laid down, but I do remember it was quite low to begin with.  Sort of gave it a muzak feel to it, and after buying the soundtrack I realized it was the opening riff to that song.

Quote2. that shot when Barry is running from the brothers....when he lunges forward and then emerges much smaller running down the street..........can someone make sense to me on this? is it just supposed to be weird?
i watched it in slow mo a couple times....i never even noticed the big flashing arrow before......really cool detail

I'm not sure what you mean.  He's smaller because there's a great height difference between where he jumps and where he emerges.  Of course we don't see exactly what this is.  That scene is interesting to me though because when he starts running you can tell it's another guy that was waiting down there since the timing between falling, getting back up and running again is way too quick.

I've got a question, too, hope it hasn't been asked.  When Barry returns to the car after he's beaten up the brothers, Lela isn't bleeding anymore.  I always thought Barry was just seeing that in his head and that's what really instigated his anger.  Of course, she could have just wiped it off, but you'd think there'd be smears.  She has the bandage in the hospital later though, so I dunno.  I just always find that a bit perplexing.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I figured it wasn't intense bleeding, so dismissed that thought.  Plus, the angle you see her at is almost entirely on the right side.  She has to turn to see it, and from what I remember it's more of a profile the second time you see her.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

tpfkabi

oh yeah.....i wonder how they got to the hospital because when they wreck, doesn't the rear left wheel totally bend under?

i had the thought that it would have been funny if he carried her like he does the harmonium to the hospital. it would have been funny to see a shot with Barry running with Lena in his arms into the Emergency room.

oh......about that jumping shot........it just doesn't make sense........how does he not get injured on that??? i know.......it's not supposed to make sense, just look cool.......but cool it is
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

markums2k

Quote from: bigideasoh yeah.....i wonder how they got to the hospital because when they wreck, doesn't the rear left wheel totally bend under?

i had the thought that it would have been funny if he carried her like he does the harmonium to the hospital. it would have been funny to see a shot with Barry running with Lena in his arms into the Emergency room.

oh......about that jumping shot........it just doesn't make sense........how does he not get injured on that??? i know.......it's not supposed to make sense, just look cool.......but cool it is

When you're really, really scared, like Barry seems to be, you'd be surprised what you can do and not get hurt.

Of course, punching a wall hard enough so the word 'love' shows on your knuckles might hurt too, if it weren't a movie.  Or running to Utah.  That would tucker you out.