Best Director/Actor pairing?

Started by ShanghaiOrange, June 16, 2003, 09:10:47 PM

oakmanc234

I dont see anything wrong with Cameron, I dont like the guy himself but his films are the shiz-nit. Can't be pissed at someone who brought 'T2' and 'Aliens' to the world.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Pubrick

the selections are ekzellent, stop making shanghaiOrange sad.
under the paving stones.

The Silver Bullet

QuoteBut since you brought it up, I'd like to know why people have a problem with Cameron.
I have no problem with Cameron. I have a problem with Paxton.
How can one actor find so many parts with so many cheesy lines?

He has a much higher average of terrible lines than any other actor I know of.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

ShanghaiOrange

Quote from: themodernage02william h macy only made 2 with pta.  how many do you need to qualify as a paring?  (this is not attitude, i am curious).

Shit. :(
Three movies is the minimum. :(
Just ignore Macy then.

Quote from: godardianEmir Kusturica directed Underground- the poster for which is someone's avatar around here- and Black Cat, White Cat. He is one of the few prominent filmmakers from the former Yugoslavia who continued to work on an international scale through the ravages, addressing them very effectively in Underground.

Ignorance is never an excuse, not with IMDB just waiting to answer all our curious little cinephilic queries!

Underground is a good movie. :(

Fuck. :(

Maybe we can just have a round two. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Gold Trumpet

I saw part of Underground, but turned it off for reasons that I cannot remember. I may watch it again or try to, but I really doubt it.

I don't mind that I never heard of the guy. I just honestly never heard of him before.

~rougerum

modage

love love love cameron.  grew up loving everything cameron, still love (just about) everything cameron.  maybe if theres any negative feelings about him, it falls in with the Titanic backlash?  i dunno.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Silver Bullet

I enjoy Titanic Not worth the Oscar, but still, enjoyable. Hate me!
I just cannot stand Bill Paxton.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

cine

Kurosawa and Mifune first with Herzog and Kinski a close second. I'm surprised they aren't a favourite here. Herzog and Kinski made some of the most haunting films, certainly some of the best German films. I'm also surprised most posts involves fights about the ones *not* on the poll. Folks, it says "Other" for a particular reason.....

***beady***

ochristou

Hi guys, this is my first post in this amazing forum that i just happened to stumble upon while searching for upcoming films' news.  Really cool that someone suggested Kusturica/Manojlovic.

I've been trying to find Kusturica DVDs (mainly Underground, ...gypsies & black/white cat) for some time now, and i've found nothing other than what IMDB lists as available in France and Germany with no English subtitles.  Has anyone been more successful in such a search? (rustinglass, godardian maybe?)

SoNowThen

he's a hard man to get ahold of. I can't even find someone that rents his flicks in my little town.

but I've heard good things about him. I'm most interested in Arizona Dream, mostly because of my hero-worship of Vince Gallo.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ochristou

Actually, Arizona Dream is the one that's easy to find; the French version (R2 of course) is available on amazon.fr or dvdzone2.com, along with ...cat and underground, none with English subtitles though.

SoNowThen

making it hard to find for us R1, English speaking folks...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

how about Kurt Russell/John Carpenter?  5 pairings.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****