A Single Man

Started by MacGuffin, November 17, 2009, 08:28:56 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: December 11th, 2009 (limited); December 25th (wide)

Starring: Colin Firth, Julianne Moore, Matthew Goode, Ginnifer Goodwin, Nicholas Hoult 

Directed by: Tom Ford 

Premise: In Los Angeles 1962, at the height of the Cuban missile crisis George Falconer, a 52 year old British college professor is struggling to find meaning to his life after the death of his long time partner, Jim.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

picolas

Quote from: modage on November 17, 2009, 09:49:34 PM
Gay Mad Men.

Halllllloo-oh!

modage

The film looks beautiful as you would expect, but the actors in the film make it truly memorable.  I haven't seen Julianne Moore in a role this exciting in years, I had actually forgotten how much I love her as an actress.  Colin Firth is also perfect in the role, you can't stop watching him.  I also couldn't stop thinking that I wanted to have his suit, tie and glasses. Between this and Mad Men I think I want all my entertainment to be set in early 1960's.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

IchLiebeTisch

I've seen this film twice so far. Most recently, I saw it this past evening. It's been a long time since I've been completely engrossed with a film like I am with this one. It's beautiful; from the cinematography, to music, to art direction, everything about it. The story is amazing, I've started to read the novel, it's great. I really love this film.

jenkins

surveying the crowd for fresh opinions on this movie.

missed it during its time, but like, my friend got a sweet pair of tom ford sunglasses for xmas, and i dunno, i suddenly thought maybe this was a good movie. this woefully neglected topic makes me think maybe it's not.

is this a beautiful movie? why hasn't the dp's career taken flight? please inform me. look how uninformed i am, it's embarrassing.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

jenkins

thanks much for that link. kind of funny it seems he lists his projects in preferential order and lady gaga's video beats a single man -- but let's imagine it was a touch call! pretty crazy video anyway.

he lists his age as 27 when he shot a single man. nice  :bravo:

Reel

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on January 06, 2013, 01:46:19 AM
is this a beautiful movie?

It is. Don't see it for your friends glasses or the DP alone, though. This movie will throw you for a loop and be a lot better than you could've ever expected, I promise.

Pubrick

but don't listen to any dvd extras or commentary with Tom Ford, he sounds like an idiot who has only the most shallow things to say about his own film. the movie is beautiful  on the exterior and the dude hasn't made another movie since, if he even has any genuine interest in the medium outside of how beautiful it can be, the heights of which he can be glad he achieved with this film.

so maybe it's more to the DP's credit than the sunglasses.
under the paving stones.

jenkins

visconti beautiful or what? just going to rewatch the leopard i think

Reel

get your priorities straight, dude.

jenkins

Reel

Then you would LOVE A Single Man. Just watch it already