Know Your Xixax: Donation begging and site news

Started by Xixax, December 02, 2006, 08:52:14 PM

Reel

The next thing xixax has to do is create a function to log or save links, videos, or posts and such. Similar to what 'favoriting' does on twitter. There's such a wealth of information on 'The Master' here, it sucks to have to go back and dig it all up.

Jeremy Blackman

There's already a bookmarking function. Is that what you mean?

Reel

oooh tell me more. I'm sure this place has tons of bells and whistles I don't know about. 

Jeremy Blackman

Apparently you can only bookmark topics, so it's limited. But you should buttons for this near the top of the page on any topic.

Neil

Similar to reelists approach, could we maybe compile a lot o the press for 'the master,' in one thread, just to have it there? Would this be too much work?

Should I start doing this?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

ono

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

polkablues

Due to popular demand not to have to look at it all the time, the Shoutbox has been moved to the bottom of the page, just below Recent Posts.  The contents of the Shoutbox will remain frivolous.

EDIT: And now the Google Search bar has been moved to the top as well.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ono

polkablues

For some reason, moving it to the bottom of the main page made it disappear from the Unread Posts page.  I have no idea why this is, but I'm trying to figure it out.  In the meantime, shouting is only happening on the main index page.

Now would be a good time to point out that I'm figuring all this stuff out as I go.

EDIT: Holy shit, I think I got it.  It comes out a little weirdly-formatted on the Unread Posts page, but it's there.

ono

Nice job.

Now, aesthetically speaking, I think it would look better if on the main page, the Google search bar was above the news ticker.  The shoutbox looks fine on the main page.  On the Recent Unread Topics page, I think it would look just a smidge better if all that SMF jibberjabber was moved to the bottom of the page.

polkablues

Quote from: ono on October 02, 2012, 02:44:51 AM
On the Recent Unread Topics page, I think it would look just a smidge better if all that SMF jibberjabber was moved to the bottom of the page.

You're right.  I've fixed that.  The formatting of the shoutbox is still weird on that page, but that's just always going to be the case, I think; it wasn't designed to be put in that spot, so it doesn't fit in seamlessly there.

As for the search bar, I tried it above the News ticker at first and it looked weird, so I moved it below the news ticker and it still looked weird, so I winnowed it down to just the bar and logo and it looked less weird, so I left it.  Long story long, now it's back above the news ticker.  Somewhat less weird-looking.

Reel

Why can't you guys get rid of the useless search bar, you think that's funny?

Jeremy Blackman

polkablues

Quote from: Reelist on October 03, 2012, 11:07:20 PM
Why can't you guys get rid of the useless search bar, you think that's funny?

Are you talking about the fully functional Google search bar, or the search bar that appears under the marquee when you have the header expanded?  I'm assuming that one, because otherwise what you said would make no sense.  The story of that one is that I don't feel like poring through blocks of code that I don't understand just to find the line I have to delete to remove it when you can just not try to use it and use the Google bar that works instead.