Paths of Glory DVD, Barry L & Lolita

Started by tpfkabi, August 28, 2003, 10:56:21 PM

tpfkabi

any idea why Paths of Glory was not included in the Kubrick box?
i have seen a DVD around. the cover looks cheesy.

is it a good representation though?

i've never actual seen Barry Lyndon or Lolita on DVD in a store. i see FMJ, EWS, the Shining, Clockwork Orange, Dr. strangelove all the time.

were they ever released remastered seperately from the box set?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideasany idea why Paths of Glory was not included in the Kubrick box?
i have seen a DVD around. the cover looks cheesy?

It's an MGM release, and I assume they wouldn't cut a deal with Warner's like Columbia did with  "Dr. Strangelove".

Quote from: bigideasi've never actual seen Barry Lyndon or Lolita on DVD in a store. i see FMJ, EWS, the Shining, Clockwork Orange, Dr. strangelove all the time.

were they ever released remastered seperately from the box set?

Yes: Barry here and Lolita here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

thanks. i actually looked at Amazon right after i posted. i guess they're never in stores because they're the least popular Kubrick as far as the public goes.

so how is the Paths of Glory DVD?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

mutinyco

It's not in the collection cause there would've been too many disks. It was pragmatic reasoning. After all, 2001 is MGM.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

MacGuffin

Quote from: mutinycoIt's not in the collection cause there would've been too many disks. It was pragmatic reasoning. After all, 2001 is MGM.

MGM was the production company for "2001" and initially held it's video rights, but those have since gone to, and are now owned by, Warner Brothers.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mutinyco

It was still a pragmatic choice. I read an interview with his daughter. There are already 9 disks, so they just went with post-Spartacus films. Which is usually what most people consider to be "Kubrick" films.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

cronopio 2

couldn't find a proper thread for paths of glory, but here's an interview of the wire's david simon talking about paths of glory:

http://us.penguingroup.com/static/pages/publishersoffice/radioroom/0910/pcoa/paths_of_glory.html#vmix_media_id=21659761

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

LOL. I bought 2001 and Clockwork a few months ago and last week just bought EWS and The Shining. They should be arriving today. I think I'm just going to return them.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ravi

I only have 2001 and EWS on Blu-Ray, but I have the latest DVD version of the box set (sans Lolita and Barry Lyndon).