Panel Discussions

Started by Gold Trumpet, February 10, 2004, 11:37:22 AM

pete

will the DEBATE itself will be spontaneous, because how do you know what the other person is going to say and how are you going to respond in advance?  So the idea, if I read correctly, is that five people would be well-researched enough, passionate enough, and prepared enough for something to come out of the debate, since it's between at least five people who supposedly know what they're talking about.  I see no wrong in assigning a topic, I don't think that's forcing any kind of tension (though a question like "is PTA overrated", especially on this board, is probably not a good idea) or contriving any kind of argument.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

©brad

i just don't see the point of limiting it to five people.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: petewill the DEBATE itself will be spontaneous, because how do you know what the other person is going to say and how are you going to respond in advance?

What will happen is that someone will bring up a topic, people will get excited about it and say they want to do it. Then I (considering no admin is needed to run this) will lay out a schedule of when it will happen and the official question and let those involved run rampant with ideas and research. On the first day of the actual discussion, people will post their original analysis on the subject. The days after that will be everyone responding to each other and trying to disprove theories while validying their own. The point will be to find people with opposite views of each other to get into this. More than one person can hold a similiar view, but there should be a healthy division of where 2 people may feel this way and 3 people feel the other way. Of course, they won't feel exactly the same way and the ones that agree generally will also get to argue on finer points.

Quote from: cbradi just don't see the point of limiting it to five people.

That's why the wildcard system exists. Also, its hard enough to get 5 people to agree to thoroughly research a subject and then be on call for 5 days to respond to other people writing.

The Silver Bullet

Basically, it's a bit like the Slate "Movie Club", no?
I'm up for that. Nice work, there, GT.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Pubrick

sounds like homework to me.

go for it. i'd like to see intelligent researched discussion for once.

i might join if the topic interests me, please make it sumthing that will be interesting to read and to write about.
under the paving stones.

©brad

and please, no topics about pta movies or politics. if i wanted to go to sleep i'd have sex w/ god damn's sister.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Sounds like some constructive discussions, which is always a good thing.  

If it's kept under control, I'm sure it'll be great.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

SHAFTR

I'm up for it.  I have an idea already for a topic.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

The Silver Bullet

I so want to be, like, always in the five.
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.

SoNowThen

Quote from: ©bradand please, no topics about pta movies or politics. if i wanted to go to sleep i'd have sex w/ god damn's sister.

Yeah, I agree, let's pick stuff that's specific and bizarre, that only us movie geeks would truly care about.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Specific like "Do the dance moves in the beginning of Do The Right Thing have any significance to the film?"  or specific like "What decade was best for movies?"

Are you going to use yes or no questions, or abstract answers, or what?

I'm really digging the concept, though.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

whatever the question, it must be prefaced by " Without being pretentious, or glib.."
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

....i like the limit to five people idea...that way.......the select five can PM each other and (since the panel discussion would be in an open thread) teach  each other a new secret language....that way only the five people know what is going on..........for example.......

NEON:.....dfhfgfghfdhg   hdfhhfd  iierofhfhruf...fifr.........fkjgirgfhjfguihg.....???

SLORG: ....ahahaha.......yeuieuyuhfggfgffhfh.......sdufiysffgfsdf...sdfj!!!!!!!!!

NEON......:idea: ..ghfeghfdhgudfggurgyfdy......fgreygfe..........fhyhffh

SLORG:......gdyetdttytewytr47777.......he......uu......ewyruyeyr.......jjry

NEON:  :kiss:

"Kubrick : Best Film director ever?"

"The seventies: Easy Riders, Raging Bulls"     :wink:

"Matrix: Filosophy or Fraud?"

"World History IN Cinema" : Here we could debate the aspects of  history that sometimes get changed just for the sake of the movie.

Those are my choices,  throw yours.
context, context, context.

The Silver Bullet

• The Positive and Negative Impacts of the Modern "Epic"
  • Homage [And Other Funny Names for Stealing][/list:u]
  • A hare.