The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

HeywoodRFloyd

Quote from: P Heat on September 21, 2012, 05:58:53 PM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 20, 2012, 10:54:35 PM
It looks like I will probably never see The Master in 70mm.
This kind of makes me mad at P.T for even doing 70mm, but then again he thought he was only going to show it in 70mm like 1-2 times with the original thought of showing 35mm anyway.

It shouldn't make you mad, this film's bluray transfer is going to be immpecable. When 4K Home Releases are released it is going to hold up so well, it'll feel like a surrogate 70mm.

Jeremy Blackman

Dana Stevens said in the Slate's Culture Gabfest podcast that the 70mm version was so beautiful and visually breathtaking that she was sort of distracted from the story. So there might be a silver lining for us non-70mm viewers.

malkovich

Pozer

Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on September 21, 2012, 05:29:46 PM
The end of this first one, fucking wow. I've heard so much about this scene, apparently one of the greatest in recent cinema.

may be his best ever.

socketlevel

***slight spoils***

Just saw a 70mm print, and i loved it. improved upon the script i read a while back.

Of all his other films I think the best comparison is punch drunk love, if only for (and most importantly) the fact that it plays in the sum of all its parts. how the whole connects through loose strings, scenes that push further away from plot yet at the same time still tell a cohesive story.

auditing scene lived up to what i read and the added hypnosis part was groundbreaking, felt like fleeting malick. which in my opinion is when the malick dreamscape works best; as emphasis breaking out of a grounded narrative.

this and spring breakers are my top picks thus far in the year. seeing them within a week of each other was great. Now I'm glad i didn't get into the TIFF screening of the master and saw them on separate days or they would most likely be processed at the same time.

edit - oh ya and the best part about seeing the 70mm in toronto (not during tiff no less) was that there were no trailers, no ads, just lights go down, queue PTA, number countdown and roll that big ass film onto the screen. so refreshing. added to the 50s vibe because the junk before the film didn't act as a defacto overture. was this the same for all you other 70mm print watchers?
the one last hit that spent you...

Reel

HeywoodRFloyd

MrBurgerKing, did you just ruin the film for those who haven't seen it? This is a spoiler free thread, and I'm not sure about your complete post but from what I read, in your first sentence you seem to refer to the ending, not cool man.

This is the thread for those who have seen the film and can discuss it in it's entirety:
http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=12281.msg319145;topicseen#msg319145

HeywoodRFloyd

First Assistant Camera Erik Brown with the System 65 on set of THE MASTER
Photo by Ken Barrows

Photographed by Mihai Malaimare with Panavision's System 65 and XL2s with ultra speed lenses.

System 65 : http://www.panavision.com/content/large-format-system-65
XL2 : http://www.panavision.com/content/xl2
Ultra Speed Lenses : http://www.panavision.com/content/legacy-primes

Source : http://www.panavision.com/spotlight/paul-thomas-andersons-master-debuts

As I mentioned in another thread that the camera used in The Master is not Kubrick's 2001 Camera, but rather the Panavision System 65:

Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on September 01, 2012, 11:19:27 PM
It's actually not the same camera used in 2001: A Space Odyssey, In the early 1990s, in response to an increased demand for 65 mm cameras, Panavision introduced an updated line of 65 mm cameras and optics known as "Panavision System 65" or "Panavision Super 70", designed to compete with the rival Arri 765 camera. However, the lack of 70 mm projectors, combined with the fact that 35 mm digital stereo sound somewhat minimized the multi-channel sound advantage the 70 mm format had, meant that the format revival never really took off. This is the camera PTA used for The Master (also the same camera used in Hamlet & Far and Away)

The camera used in 2001: A Space Odyssey and Lawrence of Arabia is the Super Panavision 70.

Pubrick

I've made some changes to the title of this thread and the spoiler one as there seems to be too many fucking idiots who can't tell the difference.

I will ban the next person who posts spoilers here.
under the paving stones.

Drenk

(Sorry for the english)

I didn't see The Master. :yabbse-grin: Spoilers from the script, though ! I want to write, but the Spoilers thread is full of spoilers of the actual movie; and, for me, the script and the movie, it's not the same thing. :yabbse-grin:

I read a lot of reviews and stuff, and I often read this: "the point", again and again and again and again. They talk about the ending, and the fact that there is no point. I guess talk about the lack of blood. But...that kind of ending, of storytelling, it's not new, right ? It's not a bad point. They talk about the "no point" of The Master as if it was a bad point. If you're lost in a movie, you don't find yourself at the end all the time. Revelations don't always come.
I hope that the ending is powerful...I had blood already. I don't care about it. Life is this crazy surreal thing where, sometimes, everything is the same everywhere and you have no place in it but you have to.

I hate having an idea of what the movie will look like, it's a source of disappointment. But I see it that way. If it's the same, great. If it's not, it's even better. It will be PTA's vision.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Do you want me to answer that? I can probably do it in a very-light-spoilers way.

Drenk

Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

SOMEWHAT LIGHT SPOILERS

Most critics are reviewing the film on deadline after one viewing. (Dana Stevens, who saw it three times, being one of the great exceptions.) The Master is not digestible or reviewable or explainable in that frame, so I'm actually surprised there isn't more mixed reaction from critics. The movie is dense and sporadically withholding. It takes at least a few hours for the superficial elements to recede in your memory, and then surprising things start rising up, like certain scenes that suddenly become more meaningful when you put things together, not exactly like a puzzle, but like a dream that doesn't make sense until you remember everything.

But no, rest assured, the end is actually quite perfect.

matt35mm

http://twitchfilm.com/2012/09/jason-gorbers-cineruminations-70mm-4k-and-the-master-split-personality.html

Really fascinating and in-depth article on the process of shooting on 65mm/35mm and the process of printing to 70mm, with comparisons between the 70mm projection and 4K projection. Good stuff!

No spoilers.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: matt35mm on September 24, 2012, 11:40:40 PM
http://twitchfilm.com/2012/09/jason-gorbers-cineruminations-70mm-4k-and-the-master-split-personality.html

Really fascinating and in-depth article on the process of shooting on 65mm/35mm and the process of printing to 70mm, with comparisons between the 70mm projection and 4K projection. Good stuff!

No spoilers.

Okay so, that article claims that the 4K projection is as good as (or better than) the 70mm projection.

I saw a 4K projection of the film, which was amazing and seemed flawless to me. If I have a chance to see it in 70mm (which might happen), should I?