Spike Lee

Started by Ghostboy, June 26, 2003, 01:24:38 AM

MacGuffin

Spike Lee, Mike Tyson, Doug Ellin & John Ridley Team For HBO Drama Series Inspired By Tyson's Youth
BY NELLIE ANDREEVA | Deadline

How is this for intriguing mix of creative auspices -filmmaker Spike Lee, former boxing champion Mike Tyson and Entourage creator Doug Ellin have come together to produce a drama series project for HBO, written by John Ridley and to be directed by Lee. The project, titled Da Brick, is described as a contemporary exploration of what it means to be a young, black man in supposedly post-racial America and is loosely inspired by aspects of Mike Tyson's youth. Is its set in current-day Newark, NJ, nicknamed "brick city." While the project is still in development, HBO has hired a casting director to explore casting choices for the lead, looking for young black actors who are also credible in the boxing ring.

Tyson appeared in a 2010 episode of Ellin's HBO comedy series Entourage, playing himself. The original germ of an idea for Da Brick came out of a meeting the two had on the set of the veteran comedy, which was inspired by Mark Wahlberg's early years in Hollywood. "That's when Mike asked me, why don't do with my life what we did with Mark's life," Ellin said. "The initial idea was 'Entourage meets The Wire', an edgy story about an up-and-coming boxer and his crew that is much more dramatic than Entourage." While it was not a series Ellin felt he would write, he and his producing partner Jim Lefkowitz decided to develop and produce it through their company. Lefkowitz brought in writer John Ridley who, in turn, brought in Lee, with whom he had been developing a movie about the L.A. riots. Ellin, Lefkowitz, Ridley, Lee and Tyson are all executive producing Da Brick, with Tyson's wife Lakiha Tyson and Azim Spicer, CEO of Las Vegas' SpiceReel Prods., co-executive producing.

Both Ellin and Lee have long history at HBO. Ellin's series Entourage returns for its eighth and final season next month. Under his deal at the pay cable network, Ellin wrote the comedy script 40, which has been picked up to pilot with Ed Burns on board to star. Da Brick marks Ellin's first HBO project, which he is not writing, with him and Lefkowitz planning to do more of those as they expand their company's development. Lee directed and produced the HBO New Orleans documentary When the Levees Broke and its followup If God Is Willing and da Creek Don't Rise. Ellin is with WME, Lee and Ridley with CAA.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

I would totally watch it. Ellin isn't know for fine art so the comparisons with The Wire might not be realistic, but he is such a bloke's filmmaker (TV maker?) that this could be the boxing show success that Lights Out wasn't. I guess we'll see...
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Spike slated to direct "Oldboy" remake.
Josh Brolin potentially in Lead role.

I want Lee to deliver a good movie that garners attention but...

Most people I know are chanting "unnecessary"

agreed??

socketlevel

Actually Josh Brolin is perfect casting.
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

Eddie Murphy to Play Marion Barry in HBO Biopic From Spike Lee
John Ridley would pen the script for the untitled project.
Source: THR

Eddie Murphy may be headed back to the small screen.

HBO Films is developing an untitled television biopic centered on former Washington D.C. Mayor Marion Barry, whom Murphy would play should the project move forward, a source confirms to The Hollywood Reporter.
Spike Lee is attached to direct with John Ridley to pen the script. Murphy, Lee and Ridley would all serve as executive producers as the Washington Post first reported.

Journalists Harry Jaffe and Tom Sherwood have been tapped to consult, along with The Nine Lives of Marion Barry filmmakers Dana Flor and Toby Oppenheimer. Jaffe and Sherwood penned a book published in 1994 entitled Dream City detailing politics in D.C.

Barry served as the D.C. mayor from 1979 to 1991 and again from 1995 to 1999, and is currently a member of the D.C. City Council representing the city's eighth ward. In January 1990, Barry was caught smoking crack cocaine at the Vista International Hotel in downtown and was arrested on drug charges, serving six months in prison.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

meanwhile, in today's episode of Scumbag Spike Lee:

Spike Lee tweeted incorrect George Zimmerman address, possibly putting Sanford woman in danger
Published: 11:49 AM 03/27/2012

Filmmaker Spike Lee tweeted the wrong home address for George Zimmerman, the Sanford, Fla., man who many are claiming should be arrested for shooting and killing Trayvon Martin. The tweet could have potentially put the woman who actually lives at that address in danger.

The Washington Times' Kerry Picket went to the address that Lee tweeted as members of the New Black Panther Party were offering a $10,000 cash reward for Zimmerman's capture, "dead or alive," and others were demanding his arrest.

"[T]he Edgewater Circle address Mr. Lee re-tweeted out is not part of the gated Retreat at Twin Lakes where the shooting took place and where Mr. Zimmerman lives," Picket reported. "The area is not even a gated community."

"In fact, I took a drive to that Edgewater Circle address that so many on Twitter re-tweeted and cursed, and I discovered through a neighbor, named Tim, who lives across the street from the address, that not only does George Zimmerman not live at the lakeside house but a woman by the name of Elaine does," Picket added.

Picket also said several news agencies have showed up at the address looking for Zimmerman, which – with the crowds the Panthers, MSNBC's Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have whipped up into a frenzy – may have put the woman, Elaine, in danger.
under the paving stones.

Pwaybloe

Sleepless

What a cock. Spike Lee is his own worst enemy sometimes.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

SPIKE LEE'S LATEST FILM IS NOW A KICKSTARTER JOINT

Riding high off the publicity for his Oldboy remake, Spike Lee is now the latest celebrity to hit Kickstarter with an impassioned plea for why you should give him lots of money. On his official Kickstarter page, Lee speaks about the current climate for independent film; what could pass as a budget when he was first breaking into the business is now just a drop in a very, very large bucket. He offers up his entire filmography as a body of work as proof that this Kickstarter is a legitimate filmmaking venture, and offers a handful of details about the film's plot. Lee's hypothetical latest film will chronicle people who are addicted to blood the way others are addicted to drugs or sex (although he promises the film will still have plenty of sex).

The $1.25m goal may seem drastically steep, but keep in mind that stranger things have happened. This spring saw the Veronica Mars movie bank over $5m, while Zach Braff's Garden State follow-up pulled in just over $3m. And a scant few hours into the Kickstarter has already netted Lee close to $12,000 – presumably that number will rise dramatically as the news starts to spread.

For Spike Lee fans, this is a dream come true. The juicier pledges receive autographs, special screenings, and roles as extras, while $10,000 nets you dinner and a Knicks game with the director himself. For non-Lee fans, well, this is just one more way not to spend your money. Although the best way to look at this Kickstarter would likely be through the lens of Lee's Oldboy remake, which only a scant few have actually seen. One super-violent film would certainly be affected by the one that comes immediately after.

The Kickstarter for "The Newest Hottest Spike Lee Joint" will last until Wednesday, August 21 at 12:15AM EDT.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spikelee/the-newest-hottest-spike-lee-joint

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Steven Soderbergh Backs Spike Lee's Kickstarter Campaign
Source: Indiewire

Spike Lee's gotta have it... and apparently, Steven Soderbergh is willing to to do the right thing and pledge $10,000.

We're talking, of course, about Spike Lee's new Kickstarter campaign, launched yesterday, for his next project, an untitled film about "human beings who are addicted to blood," according to Lee's Kickstarter page for "The Newest Hottest Spike Lee Joint."

Lee has 28 more days in which to meet his goal of $1.25 million and he's already broken the $100,000 mark, in part with $10,000 from Soderbergh. Lee told NextMovie that Soderbergh invested in the project at the highest pledge level, $10,000. On his page, Lee promises to take anyone pledging $10,0000 out to dinner and to see The New York Knicks (in Lee's courtside seats).

"I'm taking him to dinner and we're going to the game together," Lee said to NextMovie. "I don't even know if he likes sports! So I'm gonna pick the game for him."

Lee tweeted his appreciation, "Super Shoutout To My Man Director Steven Soderbergh Who Pledges $10,000 To Have Dinner And SIt Courtside With Me To See NY Knicks. THANK YOU."

It's unclear if there's a script for the project, which Lee describes on his Kickstarter page as "funny, sexy, and bloody (and it's not 'Blacula'). "I promise you, my hand to God and my mother's grave every red cent, every wooden nickle, will go on the screen," he tells prospective backers.

In addition to Soderbergh, two other backers have pledged at the $10,000 level. For only $750, you can lay claim to a pair of Lee's previously worn Nikes.

Soderbergh and Lee met at the 1989 Cannes Film Festival where they each had films screening ("Sex, Lies and Videotape" and "Do the Right Thing").

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

outside the nature of the financial practice, soderbergh threw down for spike lee to make his movie. wonderful. imo

Pwaybloe

Dude, I wouldn't give him a dime. He burned through his Hollywood money and has nothing to show for it. After 25th Hour, his features (not his docs) have been unbearably bad. They have all had poor technicalities, lazy screenwriting, and an extreme lack of editing. It's extremely disappointing, because I was a huge fan. He made several masterpieces (DTRT, JF, HGG). Nowadays we get shit like The Miracle of Saint Anna, which has to be one of the stupidest movies I have seen in the last five years.

So, his next movie is going to about people addicted to blood?  Sounds about as good as a whistleblower who gets lesbians pregnant.

MacGuffin

Essential List of Films for Filmmakers

I've Been A Professor At The NYU Graduate Film For The Past 15 Years.The 1st Day Of Every Class I Hand Out My List Of Films That I Feel You Must See If You Want To Make Films. Please Look At This List And See What You Might Have Missed. As I Tell My Students If You Want Your Film "Game" To Be Tight You Must Have Seen Great Movies, World Cinema, It Just Can't Be Hollywood Films. Educate Yourself. Learn. Grow. Evolve. Make Great Films.

Peace, Onward And Upward,

Spike Lee.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

jenkins

even while overall avoiding hollywood he lists killer of sheep. except for the fact that it's 1977 in the movie and 2013 today, i don't think a movie has done los angeles better