The 83rd Annual Academy Awards

Started by MacGuffin, March 25, 2010, 01:01:48 PM

RegularKarate

As Long as Winter's Bone doesn't win anything outside of acting (it won't) and The Kids are Alright doesn't win ANYTHING (it might), I think I might not absolutely hate this year's Oscars.

modage

I mean, Nolan snubbed for Director is terrible.  And so is Inception not being there for Editing. And Black Swan not being eligible for Score.

BUT. BUT. BUTT.

Let's just take a second to realize like, this is probably the best round of Oscar noms in a long long time.

Aronofsky, Fincher, Nolan, Coens, Boyle, O. Russell, Pixar.

Like, this is our shit. (Besides Pixar), these guys are the outsiders, who a decade ago were making the movies that we loved, and would outlast the bullshit that was winning Oscars. And now they're on the inside. Still making great stuff but somehow there has been a shift in the Academy and now they're being recognized.  It's pretty incredible.  

Even if King's Speech pulls off the win, and becomes the more predictable Oscar fare over The Social Network. I think I'll still be okay with that, because then that will mean Fincher is still (somewhat of) an outsider. Still not getting the recognition, still with something to prove.  

How weird would it be if PTA's next won Best Picture?  I would feel like they were taking him away from us.  Taking what is ours and trying to say that they were "down since day one".  Wouldn't it be weird if the masses agreed with us?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

My Top 5 Films of the year are all nominated for Best Picture. I feel so WEIRD about that.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Myxo

Not even a directing nomination for Nolan? ..what a shame.

Reel

he really only deserves it for screenplay, and he probably will win that.

modage

He does not deserve to be nominated for Best Director?  Seriously?

Richard Roeper (I know I'm not helping my case but actually) said something good this morning:

No offense to Tom Hooper, but I'll bet Nolan could direct a pretty good "King's Speech." Could anyone else have directed "Inception"?

Stefen

I'm glad Inception isn't getting overrated (after the hype, it's really just a smart summer action movie), but I think Nolan deserves a directing nomination over Tom Hooper for sure. And even O. Russell.

I'm a lot happier this year than I have been before. They got it mostly right, but they will probably screw it all up for Kings Speech. What's that about? Does there always have to be an obligatory proper British film? Really tired of those.

It's a shame Ryan Gosling didn't get an acting nomination. He should be there over Eisenberg. If there are any acting noms for Social Network it should be supporting for Garfield or NOBODY. That's Fincher's movie.

I'll be watching this year and actually looking forward to it. I just hope The Kings Speech doesn't run away with everything.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

OrHowILearnedTo

Man, these are probably the best bunch of nom's the academy has doled out in awhile. With the exception of snubbing Nolan (WTF) and overrating Winter's Bone and Kids Are Alright (the "Little Miss Sunshine" Indie Noms), they done pretty good.

Glad Eisenberg got nominated (was sure that Gosling was). He blew me away in Social Network. Totally elevated himself out of "Jesse Eisenberg" in that role. For me at least.

The Perineum Falcon

Seriously, Alright Kids is an overrated mess; I don't think it deserves any accolades. I bet if the Academy could, they'd nominate last night's episode of Skins.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Reel

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on January 25, 2011, 05:41:03 PM
Seriously, Alright Kids is an overrated mess; I don't think it deserves any accolades.

I know right?! There is nothing good about that movie, how the fuck did it get a best picture nom?

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Fernando

we could do what we* did last year to make this thread worth something, post the shorts that are available on the nets, you guys remember that right?

* by we i mean p.

Pozer

YES! good call, ferninand. that was the aboslute best ever last year. p-p-p-please make it happen again.

Reel

that's BS, I'm protesting by not seeing it for at least a year