Jupiter Ascending

Started by MacGuffin, December 09, 2013, 11:21:05 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: July 25, 2014

Starring: Mila Kunis; Channing Tatum; Sean Bean

Directed by: Andy and Lana Wachowski

Premise: In a universe where humans are near the bottom of the evolutionary ladder, a young destitute human woman is targeted for assassination by the Queen of the Universe because her very existence threatens to end the Queen's reign.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

I hate the colour scheme but I'll watch anything by the wachowskis, although this looks a lot like the korean segment of Cloud Atlas.

How do they keep getting money to make these huge films?

Prediction: Sean Bean dies.
under the paving stones.

Lottery

Quote from: Pubrick on December 10, 2013, 01:44:55 AM
I hate the colour scheme but I'll watch anything by the wachowskis, although this looks a lot like the korean segment of Cloud Atlas.

How do they keep getting money to make these huge films?

Prediction: Sean Bean dies.

Bold prediction.

There were rumours that Cloud Atlas had some sort of gang involvement a while back haha.

I feel that way about the Wachowskis too, they always seem to be doing something ambitious and different.

Jeremy Blackman

Clearly has potential, but I'm tired of Mila Kunis. And I can't imagine her being inspiring as a heroic female lead.

Kellen

Even if the film ends up being a mess it will still probably have some awesome effects/visuals.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

VFX Delays Push Wachowskis' 'Jupiter Ascending' To February

UPDATED: Warner Bros and Village Roadshow were set to open the Wachowskis' sci-fier Jupiter Ascending on July 18 after moving it up by a week in the summer 2014 tentpole calendar back in December. Now the actioner starring Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis won't fly into theaters until February 6, 2015. WB's action pic Run All Night, starring Liam Neeson as a hitman protecting his family, had occupied that February date but has been moved off the schedule completely as Jupiter slides into its place. I hear the Wachowskis needed more time to complete visual effects work on their CG-heavy space epic, which spans intergalactic worlds and follows the story of a woman (Kunis) who links up with a space warrior (Tatum) and learns she's the heir to Earth. The shift to February now pits Jupiter Ascending against Johnny Depp in Lionsgate's Mortdecai and Universal's fantasy actioner Seventh Son, which ironically endured multiple date changes and millions of dollars in extra fees when its own VFX schedule was thrown into crisis by the Rhythm & Hues bankruptcy.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

i've seen three new releases this year and this was in my top three for sure, at number three. good job everyone

strong sci-fi year. this was a wacky opening. some serious fantasy stuff goes down. i read the imdb trivia and it sounds like they did something new again. i'm amazed by how they get to do this

modage

This is truly awful and should be the final piece of evidence to send Wachowski's to Director Jail for a while. It's been 16 years since The Matrix, which, let's face it, was really their only GREAT movie (as directors) and a decade since V For Vendetta, the last really good movie they had anything to do with.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jenkins

reminder:

Quote from: modage on February 10, 2015, 07:35:59 AM
My first Dardennes too. Cotillard is what made this watchable for me, otherwise I'm not sure I would've been able to get through it. Watching essentially the same situation play out like 8 times with different people was just not interesting to me. Was there something in the repetition that made it so transcendent for everyone else? Because I thought it was stretching a thin premise of a good 25-40 minute short film to feature length.

Quote from: modage on February 03, 2015, 08:29:40 AM
Oh, I did not like this movie!

Keanu was really good and totally commits but he deserves so much better than this material which seemed like it was basically written by and for 14 year olds. Even the action was just super boring, the way the rock/techno score would cut in every time a fight starts just totally deflates any actual tension from any of the sequences. In the same year that gave us The Raid 2, I'm kinda shocked that anyone (over the age of 15) would give this a second look.

Quote from: modage on January 28, 2015, 03:02:42 PM
I could go for a version of this film with about 25% less hysterical shouting but the kid (Dolan) has promise and I'll def keep an eye on what he does next.

one opinion. i hear one opinion from the guy

bc he doesnt like three movies you do?

jenkins

you're having trouble counting and i just think a person who sees movies so often might want to shine a positive light on movies now and then

a fun thing to do is apply the criticism to the person, so i think modage should be in Critics Jail for a while

ok three OTHER movies. damn you knew what i meant.
also i think you're confusing mod with gt

modage

Ha, well in my defense it is February, typically the worst months of the year for studio releases (and I knew JA would be bad going in).

In the past couple months I've seen a bunch of movies for the first time I'd recommend: The Right Stuff, Top Secret!, Playtime, Purple Rain, All That Jazz, Cobra, Los Angeles Plays Itself, Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice, Safe, Malcolm X, Kiss Me Deadly, Three Colors Trilogy and The Color Wheel. I just haven't written anything about them here.  :yabbse-undecided:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.