dave depraved cronenberg

Started by Cecil, February 10, 2003, 07:23:04 PM

squints

Oh come on! it'll have emotional vicissitude!

Seriously though, this does not sound like a Cronenberg movie even taking his last two into consideration. Unless i've mistaken my history and Carl Jung was really a cold-blooded killer then yeah, this will suck.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

Cronenberg in Talks for Timecrimes Remake
Source:BlogdeCine

Original Timecrimes director Nacho Vigalondo spoke recently to Blogdecine about his sharp lil' time travel thriller and the American remake currently in the pipeline with Timothy Sexton scripting.

During his chat, the director revealed David Cronenberg (The Fly, History of Violence) is a contender to helm the redux.

He doesn't go much further into detail, but Vigalondo expresses he would love to see either Kurt Russell or Bruce Willis in the leading role of a man caught in a time travel conundrum and goes back in time a half hour to prevent a crime. For the part of the scientist helping this dude along in his quest, Vigalondo says he is partial to Adam Brody (Jennifer's Body).

It's unknown how serious the talks are between the remake's producers and Cronenberg or how far along they are if such talks exist.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

David Cronenberg circling 'Matarese'
Denzel Washington attached to star in political thriller
Source: Hollywood Reporter

David Cronenberg is about to join the Circle of Distrust.

The veteran writer-director -- who jumped from ICM to Endeavor last week -- is negotiating to helm "The Matarese Circle," a political thriller and potential franchise generator for MGM. Denzel Washington is attached to star in the project, which is derived from a Robert Ludlum conspiracy novel.

In the 1979 book, two rival intelligence agents, one American, one Soviet, find themselves working together to ferret out and vanquish members of a mysterious group of criminals called the Matarese that has infiltrated the highest levels of American government. Ludlum published a sequel to "Circle," "The Matarese Countdown," in 1997, but the studio did not acquire the rights to it.

Michael Brandt and Derek Haas ("Wanted," "3:10 to Yuma") have adapted the screenplay. Lorenzo di Bonaventura, Nick Wechsler and Ludlum estate executor Jeffrey M. Weiner are producing.

In April, MGM and Relativity Media outbid several other suitors for the Ludlum book, reportedly spending more than $4 million for the book and writer package.

As chairman Mary Parent accelerates the Lion's active production department, she has been eager to get another potential franchise into the marketplace to help establish the new MGM's self-produced slate, which should launch throughout 2010.

After "Quantum of Solace," MGM regains sole proprietorship of the Bond juggernaut, and Guillermo del Toro's two-part "The Hobbit" is in the scripting stage.

The "Bourne" trilogy, also derived from Ludlum novels, grossed $945 million theatrically worldwide with Matt Damon playing the embattled title character. A fourth Bourne film is in development at Universal with returning director Paul Greengrass.

Several other Ludlum properties are in development at Paramount ("The Chancellor Manuscript") and Universal ("The Sigma Protocol"). And Summit is developing a remake of Ludlum's early work, "The Osterman Weekend," which Sam Peckinpah turned into a film in 1983.

"Matarese" would be Cronenberg's first foray into the big-budget action arena and working with the A-list crowd. The Canadian helmer, who also is repped by Artist Talent Management, transmogrified himself as a master of the horror genre in the 1980s to an outre indie auteur in the 1990s. He came back on to Hollywood's radar with 2005's Oscar-nominated "A History of Violence" and 2007's well-received "Eastern Promises."

The opera he adapted from his remake of "The Fly" opened in September at the Los Angeles Opera.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Director David Cronenberg is writing a novel

Canadian director David Cronenberg is swapping his camera for a pen.

The moviemaker, who was attending the Rome Film Festival on Thursday, said he has written 60 pages of a novel, but besides ruling out that it would be a horror or science fiction, offered few details on the project.

"Based on the pages I have written we found publishers all over the world, which is very terrifying to me," Cronenberg told reporters. "It's at a very delicate phase right now, so I can't really talk about it. It's not like Stephen King, I don't know what it's like but you wouldn't call it a horror or science fiction novel at all. But what it is exactly, well, I don't know yet."

The director, known for "Videodrome," "The Fly," and "A History of Violence," said he had wanted to write a book for 50 years.

Cronenberg also attended a public meeting where he answered questions from fans and moviegoers, one of the fixtures of the Rome festival, whose third edition runs through Oct. 31.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Tom Cruise circles 'Matarese'
Actor in talks to join Denzel Washington film
Source: Variety

Tom Cruise is getting ready to partner with Denzel Washington in "The Matarese Circle," the David Cronenberg-directed adaptation of the Robert Ludlum thriller for MGM.

Cruise will go mano a mano with Washington as two bitter enemy spies who, after spending two decades trying to kill each other, grudgingly team up against the Matarese, a powerful group at the root of a conspiracy.

The script by Michael Brandt and Derek Haas ("Wanted") contemporizes Ludlum's original Cold War premise.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Nick Wechsler will produce with Jeffrey Weiner and Ben Smith's newly formed Captivate Entertainment. Henry Morrison is exec producer.

While Cruise is a co-owner of Lion sibling studio United Artists, "The Matarese Circle" will strictly be an MGM picture. The combination of Cruise, Washington and Cronenberg makes "Matarese Circle" the marquee film under the new regime of MGM topper Mary Parent.

In the original $3 million deal made for the Ludlum title, MGM also acquired "The Matarese Countdown," giving the studio a shot at creating a franchise, as Universal did with Ludlum's "The Bourne Identity." Cruise had been mentioned as the potential star of several plum projects around town before the pairing with Washington solidified.

Parent is gunning to get the thriller into production later this year for a 2010 release.

Cruise, who most recently starred in the Bryan Singer-directed UA drama "Valkyrie," is expected to star next with Charlize Theron in "The Tourist," the Bharat Nalluri-directed remake of the 2005 French thriller "Anthony Zimmer." Spyglass is financing that drama.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

This is the Cruise Film I've been waiting for!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, mmmhmmm. I feel good.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

EXCLUSIVE: David Cronenberg Making Plans For 'Eastern Promises' Sequel
Source: MTV

The big twist at the end of 2007's "Eastern Promises"—that Viggo Mortensen's character, a Russian gangster named Nikolai, is really working for a British intelligence service—raised as many questions as it answered. Now director David Cronenberg is looking to explore those open possibilities as he dives back into the world of the Russian mafia with an "Eastern Promises" sequel.

"We are moving forward with it," Cronenberg told MTV News in an exclusive chat. "We all are excited about the idea of doing a sequel."

The "we" includes Mortensen, who was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar for his role as Nikolai; the film's screenwriter, Steven Knight; original producer Paul Webster; and original studio, Focus Features.

"We are going to have a meeting very soon between me, Steve Knight and Paul Webster to discuss what the script would be," Cronenberg said. "I have some very strong ideas about what I would like to see, but I would like to hear what they have to say as well. And then after that, if all goes well, Steve goes away and writes a great script. If we all like it, we make it."

As beloved, and diverse, as Cronenberg's filmography is—everything from the head-exploding horror of "Scanners" to the creepy sci-fi mind-bender "The Fly" to his other Viggo-staring critical success "The History of Violence"—the director has never before had any interest in revisiting his work. "It's the first time I've ever been in a situation where I actually want to do a sequel to something," he admitted. "I've never had the desire to do that before. But in this case, I thought we had unfinished business with those characters. I didn't feel that we had finished with Nikolai and we had done a lot of research that was more than we could stuff into that one movie."

While Nikolai's character will surely be the focus of the new movie, it's too early to tell if other central characters, like Naomi Watts' British midwife Anna or Vincent Cassel's unstable gangster Kirill, will factor into the plot. And, of course, there's the question of whether those actors would sign on to the project.

At this juncture, Cronenberg is simply intrigued by the opportunity to reunite with Mortensen for a third film. "Viggo is a very special guy," said Cronenberg. "I consider him a personal friend and we communicate all the time. That doesn't always happen with actors. He's very serious about his acting. But he's really a funny guy. We laugh a lot. We giggle a lot."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

David Cronenberg Looks To Lock In His Denzel/Cruise Spy Thriller 'The Matarese Circle'
Source: MTV

You can already see the trailer: From the author who brought you Jason Bourne! And the visionary director who blew your mind with "Scanners" and broke your heart with "A History of Violence"! Tom Cruise...and Denzel Washington in..."The Matarese Circle"!!

It pretty much screams Hollywood blockbuster, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. For all the ink spilled in the trades and on the Internet over the adaptation of the Robert Ludlum novel, MGM has not yet green-lit the 'Matarese' project. In an exclusive interview with the man pegged to both write and direct, David Cronenberg revealed to MTV News that the movie, while still on track, is not yet a done deal—because there are neither contracts with the stars nor a final script in place.

"Nobody has signed on," Cronenberg said. "The Hollywood is term is 'attached.' Nobody actually knows what that means. It's a very abstract, almost religious concept."

The bottom line, and why he's certain the film will move foward, Cronenberg explained, is that "Denzel is very interested in the idea of doing a movie with Tom Cruise and with me. It will depend on him loving the script and then signing on. At the moment we don't have a script that we're ready to show."

The book, written in 1979, tells the story of two intelligence agents—one American, one Soviet—who must work together to expose an enigmatic criminal underground that has infiltrated the American government. Denzel would play the US agent and Cruise would play the Russian one.

The team behind "Wanted," Derek Haas and Michael Brandt, wrote an earlier version of the script and now Cronenberg is busy with his own writing duties. "I wrote an original script that was not based on any other script and that was only somewhat based on the book," Cronenberg said. "Because the book is thirty years old and it presupposes the Soviet Union and it doesn't have the technology we have now, it really required a major rethink. I wrote an original script based on some of the concepts in the book and I'm in the process of doing rewrites now."

Without a finished script or deals in place with the stars, of course, MGM has not yet given the official go-ahead. "It's not green-lit because we all have to say, 'We love this script and here's a budget we feel is correct,'" said Cronenberg. "Then it would be green-lit. You'd have to make the stars pay-or-play at that point to go forward because it would be a very expensive movie."

As many pieces that still have to fall into place, Cronenberg remains confident that "Matarese" will happen. "MGM is very, very gung-ho about it. They really want it to happen and so do I. It would be very exciting."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

David Cronenberg takes on 'Cosmopolis'
Alfama Films and Toronto Antenna to co-produce
Source: Hollywood Reporter

PARIS -- Canadian filmmaker David Cronenberg will bring Don DeLillo's novel "Cosmopolis" to the big screen, the film's producer said Friday.

Paulo Branco's Paris-based production house Alfama Films will co-produce with Cronenberg's Toronto Antenna Ltd.

"Cosmopolis," which has yet to be cast, will tell DeLillo's story of a 28 year-old billionaire who crosses Manhattan for a haircut.

The film is set to start shooting in 2010 in New York and Toronto. "Cosmopolis" is DeLillo's 13th novel published in 2003 by Scribner.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

David Cronenberg doing a reboot of 'The Fly'
By Steven Zeitchik; Hollywood Reporter

David Cronenberg is returning to "The Fly."

The auteur will develop a reboot of the 1986 classic with Fox, the studio that released that film, directing and potentially writing the new pic.

The move marks an about-face for the Canadian director, who in the past has said he did not want to be involved on a remake of the film. Cronenberg did work on an opera version of "The Fly" that was staged first in Paris and then in Los Angeles.

The 1986 title, itself a remake of Kurt Neumann's 1958 sci-fi classic, starred Jeff Goldblum and became a huge hit for Fox, earning $40 million and turning into a phenomenon. It centered on Seth Brundle (Goldblum), an eccentric scientist who, after an experiment with teleportation goes awry, is transformed into a fly. Geena Davis starred as Goldblum's love interest and partner, Veronica.

A sequel three years later with which Cronenberg was not involved -- it was directed by Chris Walas, who did effects work on the 1986 version -- did not fare as well, and was panned by critics and largely ignored by filmgoers.

The project would represent a chance for Cronenberg to return to a film that helped establish his career, but to do so in the effects age, using techniques that weren't possible nearly a quarter-century ago.

A return to "The Fly" would also mark the latest in a mini-trend of directors remaking their own work. Michael Haneke last year remade his thriller "Funny Games" while Werner Herzog reimagined his doc "Little Dieter Learns to Fly" with the 2006 feature "Breaking Dawn."

Cronenberg recently moved agencies, going from ICM to WME. He's attached to direct "The Matarese Circle," an adaptation of the Robert Ludlum best-seller, at Universal.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

David Cronenberg Revives 'The Talking Cure' With Keira Knightley
by Elisabeth Rappe; Cinematical

Nearly three long years ago, David Cronenberg had optioned Christopher Hampton's play The Talking Cure, and was preparing it as his next project. Late last year, he became attached to The Matarese Circle, the spy thriller that boasted Denzel Washington and Tom Cruise. While Cronenberg fans wondered if their favorite body horrormeister had gone soft on popcorn thrillers, Cruise dropped out, the project apparently died, and Cronenberg was left to reboot The Fly. But if The Playlist and Hopscotch Films' Facebook page are accurate, Cronenberg may be doubling back to the psychiatrist's couch for The Talking Cure.

Reportedly, Keira Knightley, Christoph Waltz and Michael Fassbender are attached to star in Cure. The play centers on a young Carl Jung, who uses Sigmund Freud's "talking cure" on a young and troubled Russian woman. In the process of psychoanalyzing her, he falls in love with her. Freud comes along, marvels at his success, and anoints him his psychiatric successor. When Jung starts to develop his own ideas about therapy, Freud isn't too happy, and their professional relationship sours.

Obviously, Knightley will be playing the troubled girl, Fassbender will undoubtedly be Jung, and Waltz will be Freud. Beyond that there's no start date for the project. Will it fall apart as easily as The Matarese Circle did? I hope not. For those who have been dismayed over Cronenberg going "mainstream," this could be a project that puts him back on the disquieting mental map.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Farrell, Cotillard to star in Cronenberg pic
Duo attached to director's adaptation of DeLillo novel
Source: Variety

Colin Farrell and Marion Cotillard are attached to topline David Cronenberg's "Cosmopolis," an adaptation of Don DeLillo's novel.

Gregoire Melin's Paris-based Kinology has picked up international sales rights and is presenting the project to buyers for the first time at the Cannes market.

The $20.5 million film is penned by Cronenberg and produced by Portuguese producer Paulo Branco's Alfama Films and Cronenberg's Toronto-based Antenna, in association with Kinology.

The thriller follows a multimillionaire on a 24-hour odyssey across Manhattan. Farrell will play the asset manager who loses all his wealth over the course of one day. Cotillard will play his wife.

Lensing will take place from March to May in Toronto and New York.

"Cosmopolis" will be Cronenberg's follow-up to "A Dangerous Method," which starts shooting this month in Germany with Keira Knightley and Viggo Mortensen.

DeLillo's acclaimed works include "White Noise" and "Underworld."

Branco last produced "Ashes and Blood," directed by Gallic thesp Fanny Ardant.

At Cannes, Kinology is also launching sales on Finnish fantasy "Rare Exports,"directed by first-timer Jalmari Helander. Melin's sales slate includes Kirsten Dunst-starrer "Upside Down," a $50-million sci-fi romance that is currently shooting in Montreal.

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

Juliette Binoche Joins David Cronenberg's 'Cosmopolis'
via The Playlist

With a May production start looming, it appears that there is some movement on David Cronenberg's gestating "Cosmopolis" which currently has Robert Pattinson and Paul Giamatti set to star.

ScreenDaily reports that beloved French actress Juliette Binoche (last year's Cannes Best Actress winner for "Certified Copy") has joined the cast and there's little by way of additional information or who she'll play. Additionally, according to C7enma, who spoke with a source at production company Alfama Films, French thespian Mathieu Amalric has also signed on to the film in an unspecified role (and as far as we know, their report landed before ScreenDaily's did and also included the casting of Bincoche). Either way, both would be a welcome addition to the cast.

The film is based on Don DeLillo's book of the same name, and follows 24 hours in the life of newly married billionaire Eric Packer (Pattinson) as he cheats on his wife, is pursued by a stalker (Giamatti), gets attacked by a protester and gradually loses his entire fortune over the course of a single day. None of this casting is 100% confirmed just yet, and inquiries sent to the actors' reps weren't answered as of press time.

Other little nuggets to note: longtime collaborators, composer Howard Shore and director of photography Peter Suschitzy, are said to be returning to work with Cronenberg on "Cosmopolis" according to C7enma. Production is slated to begin in Toronto on May 24th and last for nine weeks, and more names will apparently be surfacing soon.

wilder

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

QuotePlease include all credits when possible! "ROBERT PATTINSON as Eric and SARAH GADON as Elise in COSMOPOLIS Photo credit: CAITLIN CRONENBERG"

http://twitter.com/caitcronenberg
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."