Author Topic: serious fanalysis of The Master so far (CANON ONLY.. no script/spoiler talk)  (Read 18879 times)

Reelist

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +977
This is getting out of hand..

This thread is for analysis of THE MASTER, not PTA's BODY OF WORK.

Tyler, if you want to talk about other references you found on IMDB, you should make a thread for it yourself. No one's stopping you. I'm sure PTA could take up a shit ton of pages, but inevitably that would fly off the rails too. So I think you should just make a general thread for references. I really am interested in this stuff, but you just made a HUGE FUCKING LIST that people are gonna start oogling at going "wow. never noticed that before, Tyler."  "wow. good eyes, Tyler."  We don't need that shit around here. The Master is a month away and are energies must be focused towards that.

You can go to places in the world with pudding. That. Is. Funny.

InTylerWeTrust

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +28

Tyler, if you want to talk about other references you found on IMDB, you should make a thread for it yourself. No one's stopping you. I'm sure PTA could take up a shit ton of pages, but inevitably that would fly off the rails too. So I think you should just make a general thread for references. I really am interested in this stuff, but you just made a HUGE FUCKING LIST that people are gonna start oogling at going "wow. never noticed that before, Tyler."  "wow. good eyes, Tyler."  We don't need that shit around here. The Master is a month away and are energies must be focused towards that.

You're right....

P.S: Don't try to be a smartass. None of those references are on IMDB (you can look it up), that's what I've been trying to tell you guys... I've sent shit to them and they never post them, so fuck 'em. I'll start a thread for references for sure. There's still Tarantino and Scorsese to talk about... But yeah, let's focus on THE MASTER. Which is what this thread was intended for.

New trailer should be hitting the internet in the upcoming days...
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1310

I thought it was interesting. And as tangents go, it wasn't too severe.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

jerome

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +10
I might have to go dust off my abandoned screenplays, "Disco Evenings" and "Chrysanthemum".

Sorry but it made me lol too hard not to bump. "Disco Evenings" :yabbse-thumbup:

Q_FM

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +6
    • Allyn Quigley Films
The portrait stuff of the kids and PSH brought this to mind

InTylerWeTrust

Yeah... But it still reminds me more of this:

Specially because PTA loves "Lost in Translation".

Change the Background from Grey to Green.... Add this Globe-looking Lamp (from Antonioni's "The Passenger", AGAIN):

and you get:

: )

©brad

• Admin
  • Respect: +225
Tyler I admire your enthusiasm and you've certainly sparked a lot of discussion which is good, but I don't understand what this laundry list of "this shot looks exactly like this" is ultimately contributing, especially given that many of these comparisons are similar only because they are so simple (a tight shot of a guy sitting in a chair will look like a lot of shots of guys in chairs from a lot of movies). I know we're all excited for the movie to come out and anxious for more news/tidbits/trailers but tirelessly dissecting a trailer frame by frame will bite you in the ass when you actually see the movie. Many of us learned that lesson the hard way with Magnolia, PDL, and especially in my case with CWBB.

InTylerWeTrust

Tyler I admire your enthusiasm and you've certainly sparked a lot of discussion which is good, but I don't understand what this laundry list of "this shot looks exactly like this" is ultimately contributing, especially given that many of these comparisons are similar only because they are so simple (a tight shot of a guy sitting in a chair will look like a lot of shots of guys in chairs from a lot of movies). I know we're all excited for the movie to come out and anxious for more news/tidbits/trailers but tirelessly dissecting a trailer frame by frame will bite you in the ass when you actually see the movie. Many of us learned that lesson the hard way with Magnolia, PDL, and especially in my case with CWBB.

Yeah you're absolutely right, I really do need to calm down... I've been waiting for this movie since '09 and I think now that is so close, the idea that is only one month away is is making me go a little Jack Torrance..

But I do think is a good thing to dissect movies like this, that's how you learn. I think the only problem is the movie hasn't even come out yet which might make these references a little annoying. But I'll do my best to tone it down.

On another note, a friend of mine that works at the Kendall Square Cinema in Boston emailed me that they got the new 'Master' trailer, but they're not playing it before any movies, because they "aren't allowed yet". I don't know why, I asked him, he hasn't emailed back. More on this later...

max from fearless

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +200
Tyler - Whilst it does seem a bit crazy to be breaking down a trailer, I understand your enthusiasm and I think your discussions on references and the creative process have been pretty dope. In my humble opinion, another thread on Scorsese and the likes, would be great.

velociraptor

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +56
http://www.themasterfilm.com/

so the new trailer is gorgeous..

InTylerWeTrust

I don't even know what to say... Is like he went to the past with a Camera and came back.

MacGuffin

• Admin
  • Respect: +639
I don't even know what to say... Is like he went to the past with a Camera and came back.

More, "is" like PTA went to the past, had John Huston shoot it, then came back with the footage as his own.
“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

• Admin
  • Respect: +88

More, "is" like PTA went to the past, had John Huston shoot it, then came back with the footage as his own.

Is this timeholing?

InTylerWeTrust

Is this timeholing?

Time-Holing?.... Isn't that a sexual euphemism?

Pubrick

• Admin
  • Lynchian identity mystery
  • Respect: +773
i'm glad you got the reference list out of your system but try not to treat this thread like your personal blog where you just post whatever you're thinking.. this stuff about a new trailer and your friend.. who gives a shit? maybe take it to the lesser master thread that is meant for fluff and news.

i also think pointing out references and homages in films is the least important part of film analysis. it reveals very little without context. an actual analysis takes the film on its own merit. which of course we can't do just yet. but that's why the teasers were so good, they were self contained and had consistent themes with little to no plot spoilage.

it's nice to know that great directors steal bits from other movies cos it makes us think that any old idiot who's seen enough movies and hasn't a single original thought in his head could create a masterpiece if he managed to choose the right bits to cut and paste. but  this obsession with references is focussing on the wrong thing, that's not what makes PTA's films great.. it's the unparalleled originality and conceptual bravado of his films that make his work worth discussing.

does knowing that kubrick referenced a dumb picture by Diane Arbus when he conceptualised the grady twins add any meaning to the film? it doesn't add any more than was already present in the ideas established within the narrative itself through countless methods that extend far beyond quoting a fucking film. Simply looking at the dialogue in that scene tells us more.. "it's just like pictures in a book"..  in that case the echo of a real picture has some neat resonance at best but it doesn't contain the skeleton key that will unlock the film's entire meaning.

We must not confuse these great artists with someone like tarantino.. his films are of little value outside their references.
endless 'nothing is what it seems'-isms

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy