serious fanalysis of The Master so far (CANON ONLY.. no script/spoiler talk)

Started by Pubrick, June 19, 2012, 11:45:20 PM

InTylerWeTrust

Also, the lyrics to the song in the Trailer are Very important:

"No Other Love can warm my heart
Now that I've known the comfort of your arms

No other love.
Oh the sweet contentment that I find with you Every Time
Every Time.

No other lips could want you more For I was born to glory in your kiss.
Forever yours

I was blessed with love to love you Til the stars burn out above you
Til the moon is but a silver shell

No other love, Let no other love
Know the wonder of your spell."

Just like Dirk Diggler, Phoenix's character finds a home and a surrogate family in the cult.  "Let know other love know the wonder of your SPELL"
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: velociraptor on August 11, 2012, 11:51:28 AM
or if it's simply that the image wasn't color corrected in the teaser and has since been.

Most likely.... But actually all 3 teasers/trailers seem to have a different Coloring to them. The first one looks more washed out Old-fashion Full Metal Jacket style color. 2nd one seems to have more color but it's Darker and at the same time overexposed a bit which makes it look super soft. But the colors in the Full Trailer are bright and vibrant, specially the "Blues" and the "Yellows". Because the Full trailer is probably properly color corrected as you say.

InTylerWeTrust

************  POSSIBLE SPOILERS ****************

The new Stills are blowing my mind:

My favorite has to be this one though:

Man, that would make a great poster...

InTylerWeTrust

BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN:

GULLIVER'S TRAVELS:

Man, Paul really did his research..... Took me a while to remember where I had seen that shot before.

BTW this just goes to show how much of a GENIUS PTA is... Who else can put those 2 things together to create a beautifully original, super symbollic shot like that?  BRILLIANT.

matt35mm

Cloudy

I agree with Matt. Some specific shots are obviously planned to be riffing off of films that PTA adores while he's writing the script. But, I think a lot of it happens intuitively or unconsciously. These films are now in his DNA, and these "references" sometimes happen plainly through these films being a part of his vision.
My opinion at least.

InTylerWeTrust

I agree and disagree... I think there's shots that are indeed part of his "Filmmaking DNA", like those that come from Altman, Kubrick, scorsese, mamet, demme, ophuls, Malick, de palma, antonioni and all the other directors and movies that he loves. Those can be conscious or subconscious references. Sometimes you reference something on PURPOSE (homage) and sometimes you just do it without even thinking about it, because that shot has become a part of YOU.

But then there's also shots that he finds while he's researching (and HE MOST DEFINITELY DOES RESEARCH, trust me). Basically as he writes, he does what I'm doing right now (in preparation to watch THE MASTER). He reads and watches anything he can get his hands on, that has to do with alcoholism, post traumatic stress, cults, religion, being in the sea and everything else the story is about. And when he finds something he likes or something that inspires him then he adds it to his own film while ADDING HIS OWN VISION. As oppossed to Tarantino who just takes shit verbatim. Paul borrows ideas and evolves them to a point where they become entirely his own. That takes lots of talent and vision.

But that's just my opinion.

P.S: I feel like sometimes it comes across as if I'm trying to undermine Paul's talent by showing all these references and stuff. But trust me, that's NOT what I'm trying to do at all.

PTA is my favorite director and a he's a huge influence on me, as an artist and as a person.

I just love to find these references because it allows me to get into the mind of a Genius. It allows me to comprehend his filmmaking process, which in turn, helps ME become a better writer/Director. Hopefully it also helps and inspires you guys.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

InTylerWeTrust

matt35mm

Pwaybloe

InTylerWeTrust

Reel

Shit. I'm gonna have to go back and look at all The Muppets movies now..

InTylerWeTrust

Amy Adams played a character named "MARY" in the Muppets movie (2011)...

Amy adams plays a character named "MARY" in The Master (2012).

Coincidence?  I THINK NOT.  *Paranoid Eyes*