MICHAEL CIMINO

Started by Alexandro, June 05, 2003, 11:17:59 AM

Alexandro

With all this stuff coming out about Larry Wachoski being a cross dresser, I've read a lot of references to a certain rumour aobut Michael Cimino coming out back in 97...but I just don't remember or simply never heard of that rumour...

Could someone be nice enough and let me know what rumour was??? I'm looking on the net but find nothing...maybe you guys know...
thanks...

and from his comeback films after Heaven's Gate I've only seen Sunchaser, which is good...I think his story is one if the biggest tragedies in Hollywood history...the guy has talent...

cowboykurtis

i think THE DEER HUNTER is one of the best films EVER made -- period.
...your excuses are your own...

Pubrick

Quote from: AlexandroWith all this stuff coming out about Larry Wachoski being a cross dresser,

whaaaa???????
under the paving stones.

Alexandro

for info on this stuff, check out a couple of articles at moviepoopshoot.com, Jeffrey Wells comments on all this stuff about the Wachowski brothers which is way cooler than the Matrix Reloaded itself...

soixante

An article about Michael Cimino appeared in Vanity Fair about a year ago.  It addresses some of these rumors.  Also, it states that Cimino has finished a novel.

Cimino's career started out in a very promising fashion -- he co-wrote Silent Running and Magnum Force, then directed Thunderbolt and Lightfoot and The Deer Hunter.  It is too bad that Hollywood hasn't made better use of his talents.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Alexandro

Quote from: soixanteAn article about Michael Cimino appeared in Vanity Fair about a year ago.  It addresses some of these rumors.  Also, it states that Cimino has finished a novel.
quote]

Thanks...but the rumors said what??? A cross dresser too??

MacGuffin

Resurrection of a Film Flop - 'Heaven's Gate' Redux

Hollywood's most famous film flop, the legendary box office disaster "Heaven's Gate," has been resurrected.

The 1980 movie that buried the career of Academy Award winning director Michael Cimino and imploded an entire film studio is born-again as an art film with an engagement starting on Friday at New York's Film Forum, where a documentary on the movie is also being shown.

"My hope is to bring the film to a new generation of audiences and critics without all the baggage and negative publicity," said MGM film archivist John Kirk, who oversaw a 10-month restoration of the 3-hour, 45-minute version movie.

Cimino, inspired by the success of "The Deer Hunter" (1978), the Vietnam War drama that won him Oscars for best picture and best director, was given carte blanche for the film about 1890s Wyoming cattlemen waging war on local immigrants.

The glacially-paced western starring Kris Kristofferson, Christopher Walken, John Hurt and Isabelle Huppert, was panned by critics and ridiculed for costing nearly five times its budget of $7.5 million.

The New York Times called it "an unqualified disaster," comparing it to "a forced four-hour walking tour of one's own living room." It was pulled from theaters after one week. Four months later it was released after being cut by almost 90 minutes. It bombed again.

The financial fiasco led to United Artists being sold to MGM. Cimino's directorial career was short-circuited and he was painted as the symbol of artistic self-indulgence.

Film Forum spokesman Bruce Goldstein noted that the movie was hailed by some European critics as a masterpiece and said a 1985 book about the film, "Final Cut," by former United Artists executive Steven Bach, had revived interest in the epic.

"It's become a legendary film," he said. "Twenty-five years is enough of a distance for people to see for themselves whether it's a masterpiece or a big, overblown disaster."

The movie will also be shown in Austin, Texas, Berkeley, California, and in Washington, D.C.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

I finally sat down to watch the restored version of Heaven's Gate this week after DVR'ing it when IFC had their Z Channel weekend a couple of weeks ago.

It worked well enough for me though it's not a masterpiece.  It's certainly not as bad as legend would imply.  And it even has something of a political relevance these days.

Despite a slow third hour and more endings than Return of the King, I thought it was a decent film.  Overall, its pacing and story issues were made up for by its technical achievements, particularly Zsigmond's cinematography.  The performances were good for the most part as well. There was nothing glaringly embarassing.  

Another case of people wanting it to be an irretrievable mess because of the negative overhype of the production problems.

socketlevel

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: AlexandroWith all this stuff coming out about Larry Wachoski being a cross dresser,

whaaaa???????

word round the campfire is that he (or she as the case may be) had a sex change.  that's why they're credited as the wachoskis now and not the wachoski brothers.

fuck, that's too good to be true.

i just can't remember which one it was.  [EDIT]  so i just went on to IMDB and this is what i came up with for larry wachoski under trivia.

"Estranged wife Thea Bloom was his college sweetheart. He left Bloom in 2002 for Karin Winslow, a professional dominatrix, who left her husband to take Wachowski on as her "slave.""

ah shit i love it...  i guess it is possible then.   still don't know if it was him or his brother i heard the rumor about (prob larry though), but this quote kinda reflects on the idea for trinity's character.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

Quote from: socketlevelword round the campfire is that he (or she as the case may be) had a sex change.  that's why they're credited as the wachoskis now and not the wachoski brothers.

fuck, that's too good to be true.

i just can't remember which one it was.  [EDIT]  so i just went on to IMDB and this is what i came up with for larry wachoski under trivia.

"Estranged wife Thea Bloom was his college sweetheart. He left Bloom in 2002 for Karin Winslow, a professional dominatrix, who left her husband to take Wachowski on as her "slave.""

ah shit i love it...  i guess it is possible then.   still don't know if it was him or his brother i heard the rumor about (prob larry though), but this quote kinda reflects on the idea for trinity's character.

-sl-

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=6160
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: socketlevelword round the campfire is that he (or she as the case may be) had a sex change.  that's why they're credited as the wachoskis now and not the wachoski brothers.
yep i know, i read about it 2 years ago when that was posted.

also check out mac's link, it's a really good thread.
under the paving stones.

socketlevel

just did, shit i guess it's the real deal.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Rudie Obias

i just watched HEAVEN'S GATE and 4 hours later i have to say what a fantastic, wonderful film this is.  i really don't understand why critics didn't like it in the 80s.  i can understand it's a bit long but there's an intermission.  and this story couldn't have been told in less than 4 hours.  it's a very wonderful film.  after seeing a film like this, i understand why the steadycam and crane was invented.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

MacGuffin

Quote from: rudiecorexxx on February 21, 2006, 05:08:08 AM
i just watched HEAVEN'S GATE and 4 hours later i have to say what a fantastic, wonderful film this is.  i really don't understand why critics didn't like it in the 80s.  i can understand it's a bit long but there's an intermission.  and this story couldn't have been told in less than 4 hours.

What was released in 1981 was the 2 1/2 hour version. The full length version was restored for video.

Skeleton FilmWorks