PTA is partly responsible for the debacle that is ...

Started by Disco Stu, April 02, 2003, 11:29:24 AM

Disco Stu

The Truth About Charlie

I remember reading that Paul recommended Wahlberg to Jonathan Demme and also helped brainstorm script ideas.  And if anyone has seen the film you'll know what a catastrophe it is.
I used to do drugs.  I still do but I used to too!

KingBlackDeath

Do you see what happens...when king black death breathes on you with his breath?

Disco Stu

I used to do drugs.  I still do but I used to too!

Ernie

I'm renting it on Friday. I'm REALLY hoping to like it. I was so excited for it last year, that I bought the poster before seeing it...it's in a frame and everything. I didn't end up seeing it in theatres due to PDL fever. I've always planned to put it up on the wall if I end up liking it. It looks so cool.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeaman69I'm REALLY hoping to like it.

Be prepared to be let down. Rent the original "Charade" instead.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

From my review of the movie:

'Word on the street is, Demme's friend Paul Thomas Anderson pitched in on the development of the film, and advised Demme to not focus on the mechanics of the story too closely. Given the way the film turned out, that advice was either bad or pretty much ignored; given Anderson's own filmmmaking track record, I'd imagine the latter is the case. '

I'll ammend that; maybe Demme just followed the advice badly. Either way, the movie's lame.

Ernie

Quote from: GhostboyFrom my review of the movie:

'Word on the street is, Demme's friend Paul Thomas Anderson pitched in on the development of the film, and advised Demme to not focus on the mechanics of the story too closely. Given the way the film turned out, that advice was either bad or pretty much ignored; given Anderson's own filmmmaking track record, I'd imagine the latter is the case. '

I'll ammend that; maybe Demme just followed the advice badly. Either way, the movie's lame.

Fuck. it's going to be a bitch to sell that poster. Nobody likes the damn movie.

bonanzataz

Quote from: MacGuffin
Be prepared to be let down. Rent the original "Charade" instead.

Aren't they releasing the Charlie with Charade on the same disc?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Quote from: bonanzatazAren't they releasing the Charlie with Charade on the same disc?

Yes:

But I was talking about the OOP Criterion version...which I have HAHAHAHA!!!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Quote from: bonanzatazWell, I have it too and I didn't pay for it!

Who knew Winona Ryder was a member here.  :yabbse-undecided:

Skeleton FilmWorks

EL__SCORCHO

why put the original "charade" in the package? doesnt that make the new version seem that much worse?

bonanzataz

Well, I just rented it from netflix. I can't say I hated it. I would give it 3/5 stars. It feels like a weird French New Wave film and that's what I like about it. It has excellent cinematography and clever direction, but it ultimately fails in the story and script. It's another one of those movies where I just don't give a shit about the characters and that's why it fails. It feels like an old 80s Demme film (like Married to the Mob or Something Wild), but without the same quirkiness and true to life feel of the characters that was so important in those movies. I hope Demme makes another movie soon, because this showed potential for a really interesting, new style.

Ghostboy

Looks like he's doing another unnecessary remake; 'The Manchurian Candidate' with Denzel in the Sinatra role. I also heard he was developing a new thriller with Jodie Foster.

Did anyone else like 'Beloved?' I thought it was about as good as it could have been, but not quite great. Of course, having read the book, it can't help but pale in comparison.