Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

jenkins

i'm pretty sure that's a map thing on the cliff, i really want someone to tell me what the map thing is

Axolotl

Quote from: chimbo on January 01, 2014, 08:17:20 PM
Criterion's new year post for 2014:

Anyone taking guesses?
Picnic at Hanging Rock?
Jacques Tati Boxset?

The Perineum Falcon

The Beatles (A Hard Day's Night?)
Jacques Demy box set?
  (Bay of Angels)
  (Umbrellas of Cherbourg)
  (Lola)
  (Donkey Skin)
The Deer Hunter?
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Red River
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Champion Souza

Is the angel from Breaking the Waves or It's a Wonderful Life?

cine

the candy at the picnic is for Tootsie.

Alexandro

MacGuffin

Lars Von Trier's 'Breaking The Waves,' Don Siegel's 'Riot In Cell Block 11' & More Coming To Criterion In April
Source: Playlist

Well, it looks like some of those New Year's Criterion Collection teases are coming true. The boutique label has unveiled their slate for April, and as always, it will cause your accountant worry about the cash you're spending on DVDs.

Rumored for a while now, Lars von Trier's heartbreaker "Breaking the Waves" gets the wacky C, and it's coming loaded with extras. The newly restored film will feature selected-scene audio commentary with von Trier, editor Anders Refn, and location scout Anthony Dod Mantle, brand new interviews, Emily Watson's audition tape, deleted and extended scenes, and much more. Not too shabby at all for one of von Trier's finest accomplishments.

Meanwhile, the rest of the month will see Criterion digging into classic cinema. Fans of hardboiled drama will be very pleased to see Don Siegel's "Riot In Cell Block 11" enter the collection. The prison flick won't have much aside from an audio commentary by film scholar Matthew Bernstein, but just having this in a crisp edition on your shelf will be worth it.

If road trips are more your thing then pick up "Il Sorpasso," starring Vittorio Gassman and Jean-Louis Trintignant as a couple of pals who travel from Rome to rural Southern Italy. Dini Risi's film will come packed with extras, including a couple of documentaries, interviews and much more.

If you want to watch the masters at work, then Carl Theodor Dreyer's silent drama "Master of the House" will fill that niche. It's not overflowing with extras, but an gem from the silent era given the treatment is worth the attention.

Lastly, "The 400 Blows" is getting an upgrade to Criterion's new dual format, Blu-ray and DVD-style release.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Quote from: Playlist on January 15, 2014, 04:42:21 PM
the wacky C
So that's what the kids are calling it these days.  Still, nice.

Reel

Quote from: Playlist on January 15, 2014, 04:42:21 PM
the wacky C

You could use that to describe any female character in Von Trier's films

Get it?

classical gas

Got it.

I'm fucking stoked about Breaking the Waves.  Haven't watched that in a while and I can't find a decent copy for a reasonable price.  I'll be pre-ordering that.

jenkins

^^what are they happy about? some italian secret. do you know italian? jealous. imdb has the title translated to The Easy Life, and google translate turns il sorpasso into "overtaking" google translate is fired

jenkins

NSFW

for as long as i can i'm going to assume this month's criterion hint refers to
criterion thing

my hope thing

you can destroy my hope. don't do it please

(edit)
hope encouraged

Gold Trumpet

jenkins

Gold Trumpet

really dude, I didn't look at your link. Happens.