Best Visual Effects: KING KONG

THE NOMINEES

Batman Begins
King Kong
Sin City
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
War of the Worlds

Gamblour.

Even the academy had the fucking brains to not nominate Revenge of the Sith, but whatever. Kong's visuals were really impressive, although War of the Worlds' effects were more realistic.
WWPTAD?

killafilm

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on April 18, 2006, 11:30:03 AM
Even the academy had the fucking brains to not nominate Revenge of the Sith, but whatever. Kong's visuals were really impressive, although War of the Worlds' effects were more realistic.

I thought Kong cut the most corners of ANY major release with SFX this past year.  I don't see how you don't give Sith some love here.

Redlum

Quote from: killafilm on April 18, 2006, 01:06:11 PM

I thought Kong cut the most corners of ANY major release with SFX this past year.  I don't see how you don't give Sith some love here.

I think because Star Wars uses effects to the point that they're almost not special anymore. Coming close to the reason why Pixar animated films arent nominated for Visual Effects - because although exceptional, they exist in an entirely synthetic world. In this regard I would suggest that Episode III did a much better job than Sin City but of course thats ILM for you.

Personally, I like to guage the effects on their integration with real footage and the degree of innovation. Both King Kong and War of the Worlds were exceptional in these departments. With King Kongs digital set extensions and the lead motion capture performance. And with War of the Worlds' level of destruction and innovations allowing Spielberg to pull off graceful shots like the one on the highway.

As for Kong cutting corners, thats slightly unfair given how bloated the thing was. Lets face it - the only weak part of the film (effects wise) was the brontosaurus chase. Alright, the dinosaurs werent always on par with Jurassic Park but like Batman Begins effects that film had the benefit of featuring them in darkness. I should see it on DVD though.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: ®edlum on April 18, 2006, 01:26:30 PM

I think because Star Wars uses effects to the point that they're almost not special anymore. Coming close to the reason why Pixar animated films arent nominated for Visual Effects - because although exceptional, they exist in an entirely synthetic world. In this regard I would suggest that Episode III did a much better job than Sin City but of course thats ILM for you.

Personally, I like to guage the effects on their integration with real footage and the degree of innovation. Both King Kong and War of the Worlds were exceptional in these departments. With King Kongs digital set extensions and the lead motion capture performance. And with War of the Worlds' level of destruction and innovations allowing Spielberg to pull off graceful shots like the one on the highway.

As for Kong cutting corners, thats slightly unfair given how bloated the thing was. Lets face it - the only weak part of the film (effects wise) was the brontosaurus chase. Alright, the dinosaurs werent always on par with Jurassic Park but like Batman Begins effects that film had the benefit of featuring them in darkness. I should see it on DVD though.

There were a few shots here and there in Kong that weren't so hot BUT the dinosaurs WERE BETTER than the ones in the original JP and maybe even the other 2 (don't really care to revisit them) and any bad effects shots in Kong are made up for by the fact that it has more than its share of some of the best effects put on film to date.  There's some shitty greenscreen in there but for example, when you realize that outside of some of the shots of Naomi the entire climax of the film is CGI, it blows your mind. 

As for Sith, it had the best quality effects of the prequels (definitely better than Clones, that's for damn sure) but in terms of design, it wasn't more innovative or more interesting than the other 2... only done better. 

Redlum

Quote from: hacksparrow on April 18, 2006, 01:43:54 PM

There were a few shots here and there in Kong that weren't so hot BUT the dinosaurs WERE BETTER than the ones in the original JP and maybe even the other 2 (don't really care to revisit them) and any bad effects shots in Kong are made up for by the fact that it has more than its share of some of the best effects put on film to date. 

I think JP is elevated by its use of "puppets" particularly the full size Rex head during the jeep sequence. This Shot still impresses because the integration is fantastic but if it were in daylight im sure there would be problems.

QuoteThere's some shitty greenscreen in there but for example, when you realize that outside of some of the shots of Naomi the entire climax of the film is CGI, it blows your mind. 

Here's a clip from the empire state building in honour of its award:
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

killafilm

Quote from: ®edlum on April 18, 2006, 01:26:30 PM

Personally, I like to guage the effects on their integration with real footage and the degree of innovation.

I'll agree with you here.  Between Kong and WoW I'd lean towards WoW.  I'd say that Spielberg somehow gets everything to 'integrate' the best of any director, ever.  If I had to pick on sequence based on best special effects for last year it would be the initial Tripod reveal scene.  I know theres some AI lover and haters here, but really I think that's one of ILMs best moments.

polkablues

Quote from: killafilm on April 18, 2006, 03:40:55 PM
I'd say that Spielberg somehow gets everything to 'integrate' the best of any director, ever.

100% agreed.  The fact that the first Jurassic Park had better special effects than any movie since is a huge testament to Spielberg's artistry.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

i'll agree.  spielberg is best ever at flawlessly using all technologies for the most realistic integrated approach.  but i still voted for kong here because the aliens in WotW looked funny and because even with the other shortcomings Kong himself was pretty awesome.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

Quote from: modage on April 18, 2006, 10:04:35 PMWotW looked funny and because even with the other shortcomings Kong himself was pretty awesome.

that's because kong had a good editor....  :yabbse-grin: