Inherent Vice - SPOILERS!

Started by MacGuffin, October 01, 2014, 02:10:50 PM

modage

QUESTION for those who have read the book and seen the film:
The last time Doc sees Bigfoot in the book is when Bigfoot drops him off in his car, right? There is no final scene between them at Doc's house. So what the hell is PTA talking about here?

There's a scene at the end of "Inherent Vice" between Doc and Bigfoot that recalls a similar moment at the end of "The Master": two men in opposition coming to an understanding that they must remain opposed. It's emotional but in a way that isn't obvious. What are you trying to say in those sequences?
It was just an effort to make sure that made it in the translation from the book to the movie. That's where it starts. They're trying to apologize to each other for how they treated each other the night before, and Doc and Bigfoot begin to talk at the same time. It struck me so sweetly in the book. It was like Tom and Jerry stopping to apologize to each other about their behavior. What I really like about that scene, and what ended up happening when we got there, is that for as emotional as Doc is throughout the movie, you never see him break down and cry. But in truth, the most emotional he gets is bawling his eyes out while watching Bigfoot have this meltdown in front of him. Doc says that beautiful line, which is from the book: "Are you okay brother?" Bigfoot rejects it: "I'm not your brother." Doc says: "But you sure could use a keeper. Doc has become unglued along with Bigfoot. It's just stuff in the book that I shuffled around and made into one scene.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

porgy

BIG SPOILER BELOW

modage: they're referring to the scene where Bigfoot kicks down Doc's door, looks him in the eye, says a few things, and eats the weed.

modage

Where is this scene? Nowhere near the end of the book right? I must have missed it somehow or forgotten about it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

porgy

You've seen the movie right modage?

modage

Yeah, just not sure where in the book this scene takes place.

porgy

oh okay.

it's not in the book, he just remixed some lines from the book and added a scene to get the point he mentioned across.  I think it's one of the few scenes that was absolutely invented.

modage

Okay that's what I thought but I'm just making sure.

So there is no scene when he kicks down his door right? Or eats his weed?

porgy

I think he kicks down his door at some point?? shit I can't remember.  I remember when I saw it in the trailer I thought it was going to be part of a Bigfoot origin story flashback.  he DEFINITELY never eats his weed.  I thought that was the weirdest part of that scene.

jenkins

pg 350

QuoteBut where was this tail he was on going to take Bigfoot finally? How far in this weird twisted cop karma would he have to follow the twenty kilos before it led him to what he thought he needed to know? Which would be what again, exactly? Who hired Adrian to kill his partner? What Adrian's connection might be to Crocker Fenway's principals? Whether the Golden Fang, which Bigfoot didn't believe in to begin with, even existed? How smart was any of it, right now for example, without backup, and how safe was Bigfoot likely to be, and for how long?

"Here," Denis said after a while, passing a smoldering joint.

"Bigfoot's not my brother," Doc considered when he exhaled, "but he sure needs a keeper."

"It ain't you, Doc."

"I know. Too bad, in a way."

Axolotl

Bummer after I read somewhere that this exchange doesn't make it into the movie.

QuoteBut here, out of, well, not exactly nowhere, but some badlands at least that unmerciful, came this presence, tall and cloaked, with oversize and wickedly pointed gold canines, and luminous eyes scanning Doc in a repellently familiar way. 'As you may have already gathered,' it whispered, 'I am the Golden Fang.'

Quote'Thanks for clearing that one up, Mr. Fang.'

'Oh, call me 'The Golden.'

ETA:does any of the more fantastical stuff make it into the movie? The Lemuria connection? The Osmium planet? Christian surfing? Is ARPAnet mentioned? I'm trying to manage expectations.

jenkins

that's a serious nerdy question. pta's nerd elements are plentiful, fucking goddamn plentiful, which i like how he made abundantly clear on his commentary. dude named the building's architect. all those parts littered across a movie are the bones of a person, and pta thinks about this in a skeletal way. also, i don't know the answer to your question, and all my memories of both the book and movie are related to emotions. you're welcome

Drenk

He said in an interview that there is no ARPAnet. Sad, but I knew it could be the first thing to leave the film.
Ascension.

Pozer

Quote from: modage on December 12, 2014, 09:34:54 PM
There's a scene at the end of "Inherent Vice" between Doc and Bigfoot that recalls a similar moment at the end of "The Master": two men in opposition coming to an understanding that they must remain opposed. It's emotional but in a way that isn't obvious. What are you trying to say in those sequences?
It was just an effort to make sure that made it in the translation from the book to the movie. That's where it starts. They're trying to apologize to each other for how they treated each other the night before, and Doc and Bigfoot begin to talk at the same time. It struck me so sweetly in the book. It was like Tom and Jerry stopping to apologize to each other about their behavior. What I really like about that scene, and what ended up happening when we got there, is that for as emotional as Doc is throughout the movie, you never see him break down and cry. But in truth, the most emotional he gets is bawling his eyes out while watching Bigfoot have this meltdown in front of him. Doc says that beautiful line, which is from the book: "Are you okay brother?" Bigfoot rejects it: "I'm not your brother." Doc says: "But you sure could use a keeper. Doc has become unglued along with Bigfoot. It's just stuff in the book that I shuffled around and made into one scene.

this is great. and the scene in the movie will definitely go down as one of the all-time classic
Quote from: max from fearless on November 20, 2014, 03:14:13 PM
PTA standard moments.

His last decade movies, as modge has pointed out, are not capable of calling for an immediate scrutinize. the result will be a pounding out of what disappointed, a la max from fearless (dont get mee wrong my head is swimming around in some of the same gravy after watch number one, dialogue overload in certain scenes included). I gotta see it more. and more. like immediately, not like the same day immediately, more like tomorrow or the day next or in the weeks to come immediately. cant believe you saw this thing three times in a row, moadge

Joaquin was something else, happier to see him inhale life into Doc over Rdj who's shtick we'd have seen coming. The rapport, the spark between him and josh b was dynamite, more and more of their exchanges were needed. I'll shut up for now. wait, Dr.Rudy, a bit short on Short wasnt it, could've used one final 'long way down (one more thing)' type scene with him. shutting up now. wait though, (one more thing), completely disagree on this being Kathrine Waterson's movie, she's so great, she's the light, the comedown, the no reason to get out of bed in the morning, but this is Joaquin's escapade and cant wait to follow him through the haze another time. like immediately today.

second favorite thing said of the film, which happens to also be presented by wilder

Quote from: wilder on December 01, 2014, 02:49:43 PM
This should be on the poster:

Quote from: max from fearless on December 01, 2014, 09:13:27 AM
he's on the fucking case; he doesn't know what the case is, but he's fucking on it

Cloudy

among other things walking out of the theater...all that was on my mind: Joaquin is a walking angel on earth as Doc

Wilder, thank you-thankyouthankyou for sharing that, Max, your honesty was great to read (just imagining you sorting things out through the cold streets was relatable to my first Master viewing)

ps......I recommend seeing this with your ex-old lady...what a fucking joy

porgy

yeah, I think there's one sequence in particular that will make anyone of either gender want to get back together with their ex.  or maybe I'm just mushy hearted and vulnerable.