Inherent Vice - SPOILERS!

Started by MacGuffin, October 01, 2014, 02:10:50 PM

modage

Yeah more please. Interesting cause PTA was saying that exterior shots are expensive and unnecessary but having seen the set pics we know that they had the outside of Dr. Tubesides office all made up but never end up showing it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

max from fearless

Just that page I'm afraid....it'll be available soon though, but yeah, PTA's recent disdain for exterior shots or establishing shots in The Master and now IV kind of baffles me. I think he just wants to get to the meat/heart of the scenes as quickly as possible and shoot them as simply as possible in a way that supports and bolsters the performances.

bigperm

I too echo Max's review, I felt like I was in a haze/foggy dream most of the movie and became restless as well. But absolutely woke up today knowing I had to see again (like mod has said) before I try to reach for any real conclusion or opinion. I was quite taken with a lot of the long shots and honestly the production quality, (art/set depts) deserve some serious applause, some great tiny details that left me knowing 100% what decade I was in, and I found myself really inspecting so much of the background in all the scenes, I got a big kick out of that. Man I love Phoenix, but since the trailer I just felt he was mis-cast, I still had that feeling after last night. BUT, I love the man and really can't wait to revisit again soon. I was kinda amazed at how different this movie felt and truly applaud PTA for being able to reserve his style but make it all feel totally different than anything else.

One more thought - sometimes with music and movies, I'm not ready for them in that moment of my life. Sometimes they land at the perfect times and life long love relationship forms, but there are times, I know I have to go back. I felt I had some serious expectations, but ended up watching something surreal and so different that I need to adjust and take a second look.
Safe As Milk

modage

I wrote a long-ish piece on the differences in the book vs. the film which should be running on The Playlist this weekend so I hope you guys will read/share, etc.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

max from fearless

As requested....Shots from the new IV trailer, "paranoia" which are not in the movie

- doc's sidekick eating jade's pussy in the back of the car
- doc watching his side kick eating jade's pussy in rear view
- shasta coming in the daytime, "i need your help doc" doc's beer response
- police dropping the dead guys body there taking away
- shasta leaving the apartment during the day (i'm sure they leave together at night)
- the reverse of doc being hit over the head and falling
- bigfoot grabbing docs hair in the car
- there's a shot of doc laughing at 1.22 i also don't remember

That's it, I think....

Drenk

Thanks! The beer's response was great! I want to watch all the footage from this movie, I guess.
Ascension.

Korova

Wait, but how much pussy-eating actually is in the movie?

max from fearless

modage

max from fearless

Mod - Think you nailed it.

It's this one, that I love. You know he's laughing with Paul or someone off camera....reinforces that: making films with your friends and family vibe.

forgive me for being ignorant but wtf isn't all this awesome as fuck stuff in the movie? according to you guys it seems like yall have seen a completely different movie than what we unfortunates are being teased with. i'm assuming that when the dvd comes out 2 weeks prior to the apocalypse we will see all these seemingly AMAZING scenes intercut with the actual movie?

modage

Most of the scenes in the trailer are in the movie, it's just different shots or takes. Them doing the scene in a different part of the same room, with different lighting, etc.

The only scene that seems to be totally cut is Joaquin driving at night with Jade in the backseat.

It was the same with The Master. PTA shoots A TON of shit, sorts it out in the edit.

putneyswipe

I'm interested to know from those who've seen it how the alternate takes/deleted stuff compares to the final cut in terms of whether it seems for better or worse?

im pretty sure modage answered that question which i just asked.