Best Choice of PC Editing Software

Started by OmegaSlacker, April 10, 2003, 05:52:59 PM

OmegaSlacker

I'm looking into purchasing an editing program for my PC.

I run Windows XP and have a large amount of RAM. What do you guys suggest would be the best purchase for me?
When I was just a baby, my momma told me, "Son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

cowboykurtis

the only offline pc editing sofware i've cut on is avid dv express. it was decent. i had a lot of audio problems however.
...your excuses are your own...

Cecil

The Silver Bullet

They're gonna hate me, but Adobe Premiere sucks.

Go with Sonic Foundry Vegas Video. They've just brought out version four. Brilliant program.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Cecil

Quote from: The Silver BulletGo with Sonic Foundry Vegas Video. They've just brought out version four. Brilliant program.

to be honest ive never tried that. omega, maybe you should test different programs and see for yourself

The Silver Bullet

I mean, for the most part I can see why people like Premiere, sure. It just doesn't have half the stuff that Vegas does. I liken it to FCP for the PC, and now with vresion four, even moreso.

But Cecil is right. It is all a matter of personal taste. Try a bit of everything before you buy and then you've got nothing to complain about later on.
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.

Recce

Man, this question is getting old:
Premiere for PC's, FCP for Mac's. It is a matter of taste, but if you plan on getting into the industry, its pretty much does two for each platform. There' s also a lot of Avid still, but that can cost and arm and a leg. You can't get it pirated, i've been told, cause theres a special internal attachment you need and theres only 1 per software. But, if you're starting out, it might be good to get one of those second rate softwares(i.e. VideoWave) to learn the basics on. Get the logic down and then move onto Premiere. It makes learning the program much easier, I found.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

The Silver Bullet

Not all of the industry is cutting video, so not all of the industry is using FCP or Premiere. It is a matter of taste, not a matter of compatability with the film industry.
  • A hare.

ReelHotGames

For PC's Premiere is really top o' the line, Vegas IS a really nice program, but Premiere allows you to transition into commercial AVID and other similiar stand alone non-linear editing suites with a little more ease as it has a similiar shape and feel and depth as these systems, so it does hand hold you for a transition into the industry... BUT the truth is test some programs as has been said, Premiere is a little tough to grip sometimes and you have to want to spend time with it. So if your jonesed to get yourproject done in the next 24 hours (you get the idea) then grab an easier to use program, Ulead or the like, simple drag and drop cut to cut fade to fade stuff.

If you want to play with the big boys I say go Premiere on PC, I use 6.0 and 6.5 and they are both extremely nice programs.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

FP

Another vote for VEGAS here.  Try the free demo.  It's so good you won't believe it isn't more popular than Premiere, which I don't like much.  The big worry about VEGAS is that its owner SONIC FOUNDRY is in financial trouble, so its development future is cloudy.

There IS a version of Avid Xpress Dv V.3.5.4 floating around that's been cracked somehow.  It's a big download, so I haven't seen it in action.

Frank•• Panucci
http://reperkussionz.blogspot.com/
www.frankpanucci.com

TK-421

I have Premiere and it's been pretty good for the most part. However I want to step into a program that will allow me to get jobs in the industry. All I see are ads for Avid or FCP, so I need to chose one.

I hate Macs <ducks> so it looks like Avid DV express for me. Hopefully after I work with it for a bit and create a few reels I can start applying for AE jobs....