Uncut Gems

Started by wilder, September 24, 2019, 08:39:00 AM

wilder

Directed by The Safdie Bros
Release Date - December 25, 2019

Set in the diamond district of New York City, Howard Ratner, a jewelry store owner and dealer to the rich and famous, must find a way to pay his debts when his merchandise is taken from one of his top sellers and girlfriend.

jonas

Yesss! Been waiting for this one and they delivered with that trailer  :bravo:
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Alethia

Larry "Ratso" Sloman at 0:04! Legend.

Jeremy Blackman

Oh my goodness, 2 full-blown PDL references in that trailer. (Blue suit and dolly shot of running.)

jenkins

it's wild to think that the Safdies alone now represent the gritty and cinematic side of nyc, which for so long was expressed by so many types of people. now it's the Safdies

WorldForgot

Drenk

Ascension.

Alethia

Uncut this weekend for me  :)

jenkins

in a social cultural context i can read the room thusly: it's this year's The Florida Project, the film that's emblematic of the highest achievements of cinema from the perspective of art, reality, and coolness, which would have previously been Good Time also, but that was the year of The Florida Project

ForTheHungryBoy

Absolutely wild. A kaleidoscopic spiral into worlds were aren't privy to

Highly recommend

WorldForgot

Julia Fox and KG are breakout stars.

putneyswipe

Loved it. It's almost comic to see the Safdies take their insular aesthetic and stretch it to the absolute limit of ambition(almost to the point to where you wonder where they go from here?). Feels like a lot of people coming together at their peak, which is rare and always a great to see. Just the perfect mix of actor and material here. The Safdies have such great eyes for faces, there's so many great mugs in this, and we get to see them all in extra close-up. Julia Fox is a fox. A masterpiece of uninhibited energy and sound design.

samsong

i'll pile on too—fucking loved this.  what came to mind immediately after was that this was like if altman did his version of after hours, crossed with a serious man.  darius khondji man... what i would give to see him do something with malick.  brilliant work.

Alethia

This stressed me the fuck out. Makes Good Time feel like It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. Woman next to me was on the verge of a meltdown the entire time. Yeah I loved it. Where will the Safdies go next?

Drenk

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooved this. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.
Ascension.