Django Unchained

Started by MacGuffin, March 27, 2011, 10:14:40 PM

Reel

theyarelegion

socketlevel

****SPOILER FOR THOSE THAT READ THE SCRIPT***

Did anyone else find what Schultz did to Candie out of character? Here is a man that holds true to his code of conduct and then randomly abandons it, seemingly just so the story can go into the 3rd act. I'm not saying it wasn't motivated, just poorly and for the sake of the plot.
the one last hit that spent you...

72teeth

*****SPOILS CONTINUED*****

I'm glad i finished it. The 3rd act definitely feels rushed and un-climactic, much as the final scenes of Inglorious Bastards did. I went and read the Basterds screenplay after finishing Django, and they are very similar in many ways, other then the rushed endings, and not just in that Quentin way.... as he has always been a history class advocate, i feel as though he is doing a "Quentin's Revenge on History" trilogy, in which case I'm wondering what comes next, The Natives vs. Jamestown? Anyway, the Basterds ending improved from script to screen, hope he tweeks this one as well...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Reel

Quote from: 72teeth on May 16, 2011, 11:12:53 PM
.... as he has always been a history class advocate, i feel as though he is doing a "Quentin's Revenge on History" trilogy, in which case I'm wondering what comes next, The Natives vs. Jamestown?

*************************************SPOILIES************************************************

Idk, it doesn't seem like he should do another 'oppressed overcoming oppressor' story, because in this one it's no shock that Django fuckin eviserates everyone, whereas in Basterds you're like 'holy shit, he killed Hitler!' I almost wanted him to bring some Historical figure into it to change it up. You can't do Lincoln in the balcony, because he just used that in the last film. I remember when I first told my Dad about QT doing a slavery movie, and the first question he asked was "does it have Harriet Tubman in it? " it made me laugh to myself, because I thought "How boring would a QT Harriet Tubman movie be? There's no violence." It made me think that he's kinda missin the mark by not including any of those types of figures in it, but he's definitely making a statement about that era and America today, and to fuck with any of the events in history (besides a slave kicking ass and taking names and completely owning ) would seem kinda hacky.

Did you ever hear how one day he wanted to do a biopic where he played John Brown? That seems out of the question now after this. I could see a slight chance of him returning to this period, but its practically the same movie.

New Feeling

Quote from: 72teeth on May 16, 2011, 11:12:53 PM

Anyway, the Basterds ending improved from script to screen, hope he tweeks this one as well...

that's exactly how I felt, and when considering the ending of Death Proof which was also extremely revised and expanded by the time it got to the screen, i feel like it's safe to assume this is is going to be a lot better than it reads

72teeth

wow, i forgot about Death Proof... he really needs to drop Revenge Films for a while, so 20 years from now i could say, "O wow! A good old fashion QT revenge film!"
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Reel

When's he gonna do like a straight up rom-com? I'm down for that.

socketlevel

Quote from: Reelist on May 17, 2011, 07:25:33 AM
When's he gonna do like a straight up rom-com? I'm down for that.

I would like to see him at his most reserved, which Jackie Brown holds the current tittle.

imagine Quentin Tarantino's "Ordinary People"

that's something that would blow my mind.

Stefen

Tarantino is too cool for school. I can't ever imagine him doing something that is toned down. The older he gets, the more he seems to be toning it up, actually.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

socketlevel

agreed, the more comfortable he becomes the more cartoon like he gets. He needs to get angry again, this is the guy that wrote Natural Born Killers after all.

MacGuffin

Idris Elba Tweets Spark Speculation Of An Audition For Quentin Tarantino's 'Django Unchained'
Source: The Playlist

English actor Idris Elba, still best known as Stringer Bell from David Simon's epic HBO series, "The Wire," tweeted this weekend, "Having one of the biggest meetings of my professional life today...meeting a very controversial director for a very controversial part." And the Internet pretty much lit up with speculation. "I wish I could tell you more but...in due time," he added."On the plane to the destination of my fate.....ok.... a lil dramatic....destination of my life..?" Almost immediately, tweeps and pundits started asking: what kind of potentially major role makes Idris Elba so melodramatic? Could it be the lead role in Quentin Tarantino's slavery epic, "Django Unchained"? After all, "Django Unchained" is a controversial powder keg of racial politics and what other African American roles have made this much of a stir of late? Our IndieWIRE brethren at Shadow & Act were the first to ask and pose this question and we'll be honest, the thought crossed our minds immediately as well. But wait, isn't Will Smith in line for the lead part of an American slave who teams up with a German bounty hunter to track down his enslaved wife and wreak havoc and revenge on all those that cross their path? Yes, Quentin Tarantino went as far as letting Sony land foreign rights to the picture because Sony is essentially the home of Will Smith (the Weinstein Company has domestic rights, natch). So what's going on exactly? Well, one of several things is possible, but of course this is all fun speculation, but here goes. 1) The role is too controversial for Will Smith's clean-cut, African-American version of Tom Cruise's image and he's decided to politely decline the role. 2) Elba could easily be auditioning for another role in the film, though yes, Django is the plum role in the film. Perhaps it's possible, that Samuel L. Jackson is not interested in the role of Stephen, the black slave who is the right hand man of the main villain in the picture, and Elba is auditioning for the part instead. Arguably, since Stephen is a house slave who colludes with his white master and hates on his fellow black slaves the role is more controversial than the Django character. 3) Elba is actually auditioning for Marvel's Luke Cage and has the internet all fooled. J/k. 4) Any # of things we all aren't privy too, an entirely different role, etc. The hope is choice no. 1, frankly. While we still prefer our casting pick of fellow "The Wire" alumnus Michael K. Williams, almost any African American actor seems better than the squeaky-clean Will Smith. Yes, Smith can act when he wants to and taking the role could be a very subversive move and it ensures an major box-office both domestically and internationally, but as far as interesting and adventurous casting and letting a great thespian take the role, we can probably think of a dozen actors we'd rather see in the part. So is Idris Elba auditioning for the lead or any part in "Django Unchained"? It's possible, but to say definitely would be speaking without any facts. To be honest, this writer would be pleased as punch if the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air had moved on, but we assume we'll know more soon; these various reports will precipitate further news during this upcoming week.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

oh, totally. He's big and built and has a nice cocoa complexion.

polkablues

Quote from: Reelist on May 30, 2011, 09:52:49 PM
oh, totally. He's big and built and has a nice cocoa complexion.

My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

^lol.

Stringer or Omar would be awesome in it.

Has anyone ever seen Idris Elba without facial hair? Has that ever happened?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.