I got the PDL DVD - The definitive thread

Started by aurora, June 19, 2003, 04:50:16 AM

BackUpOffMeFoo

Quote from: sphinx
Quote from: fultyI was just wondering.....is this true..??

usually they get very uptight and nervous and pissy which explains why everybody in the world is so angry all the time

I think you're doing it wrong, Sphinx.
Serious?

sphinx

Quote from: FooI think you're doing it wrong, Sphinx.

:yabbse-sad:

BackUpOffMeFoo

I was just kidding. It was not mean spirited. I left the rage behind a long time ago. I got nothin but love for ya homie.

But to be fair... You did bring that sex crack on yourself... And it was pretty funny.
Serious?

Ernie

I don't know if it's true for everybody but anybody remember Woogy's whole theory in There's Something About Mary about the "loaded gun" and whatnot? That's convincing enough for me. It's pretty simple.

Anyway yea, that scene is great. I love how he acts like they're NOT going to be pissed off at him anymore for some reason when they get the message...like it's all forgotten or something, that's hilarious.

sphinx

Quote from: FooI was just kidding. It was not mean spirited. I left the rage behind a long time ago. I got nothin but love for ya homie.

But to be fair... You did bring that sex crack on yourself... And it was pretty funny.

no, i thought that was hilarious---i do those faces all the time.  nothin' but love

:yabbse-cheesy:

oakmanc234

What a shock: a scene from 'PDL' that is a gem (ha ha). Like everything else in that flick, I love that bit. He's seems so proud of himself aftwerwards even though it's apparent that he's just started more shit for himself......
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Myxo

Quote from: SoNowThenI've said it before and I'll say it again:

I Love The Cover!

Can't wait to get it home and watch everything. Lent it to my parents last night. They watched and enjoyed. My dad figures most people didn't like it because the harmonium would've confused them (as in, why it's there). We talked about it for awhile. I think he's right. It even bothered me a little bit the first time I saw it.

The car scene in the beginning works for a couple of reasons.

A: It is a really great way to make an audience sit up straight.
B: It works as a mirror for Barry's life. Noisy. Destructive.

The harmonium is abandoned. They kick it to the curb.
Barry feels abandoned. His sisters kick him to the curb all day long.

He sort of stands there looking at it. He peeks around the corner. He can't just leave it there can he? Poor harmonium. Nobody wants it. It is just sitting there.

Barry takes the harmonium in.
Lena takes Barry in.

Abandonment is a major theme in all of PTA's works.

fulty

Quote from: halo_onThe car scene in the beginning.........
I think the opening crash, as well as the "unbreakable" wedding funger blend together to represent divorce.  Specifically, Lena's divorce.
The harmonium is discarded.  Damaged, but not ruined, like Lena's love.
Barry is afraid of it at first because he has never seen real love.
Later, Lena asks Barry if he stole it.  Barry says, is it yours?  Lena says with a twinkle, no, it's yours. ( me =  :cry:  )  Barry's job is to repair Lena's broken heart.  jmo
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

sphinx

i was happy to see all 8 dvd copies of punch-drunk love out at the movie store...not so much VHS, it seems they've retained the original theatrical art for the cover at there was one copy out.  was some dvd promos on *shudder* the superstation, they mentioned the hours and kangaroo jack as being this week's highlights.  kangaroo fucking jack.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: sphinxkangaroo fucking jack.

now, if Kangaroo Jack had some crazy, psychointernal personal self conflict going on and a fly hoochie-mamma Roo he could bounce with......

well...then maybe I would understand it being a top release....

EDIT: I spell like a white person dances...

©brad

Quote from: sphinxi was happy to see all 8 dvd copies of punch-drunk love out at the movie store...not so much VHS, it seems they've retained the original theatrical art for the cover at there was one copy out.  was some dvd promos on *shudder* the superstation, they mentioned the hours and kangaroo jack as being this week's highlights.  kangaroo fucking jack.

hey yea, my blockbuster was out of pdl dvds too. so far i've shown my dvd to three pdl virgins- one my brother, who puts the stone in stoner, but he dug it, two my mom, who thought it was 'really cute'-okay cool mom, and three- a girl i've been hangin w/ but she was toooo drunk to remember any of it, let alone appreciate it. but hey, i'm doin my part.

brockly

oakmanc234

The public's overall disregard for for 'PDL' vexes me.

I remember going to see it for the first time (excited as hell), buying popcorn etc, asking the usher if he's seen it, in which he replied: 'No but I've heard it's pretty terrible, actually'. I say 'Okay, thanks man', leave the wanker and take my seat in a near empty theatre on a friday night. A little over twenty people eventually show up. Weak.

'PDL' is the first film I've seen in a cinema and felt that I was the only one appreciating it. I'm sitting there, absolutely loving what I'm watching, while others take off during it, making sure their comments are heard before leaving. When it's finished, I could see the ones who were just like me, staying for the credits, wide grins on their faces, loudly sharing info like 'the guy who made this is really young' etc. But its obvious that the screenings response was overall luke-warm.

That's another reason why I can't wait to have my own copy, to enjoy the splendor of 'PDL' without hearing 'This is boring, let's just leave' and the frequent 'What the fuuuuuuuck?!'
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

SoNowThen

Quote from: halo_on
Quote from: SoNowThenI've said it before and I'll say it again:

I Love The Cover!

Can't wait to get it home and watch everything. Lent it to my parents last night. They watched and enjoyed. My dad figures most people didn't like it because the harmonium would've confused them (as in, why it's there). We talked about it for awhile. I think he's right. It even bothered me a little bit the first time I saw it.

The car scene in the beginning works for a couple of reasons.

A: It is a really great way to make an audience sit up straight.
B: It works as a mirror for Barry's life. Noisy. Destructive.

The harmonium is abandoned. They kick it to the curb.
Barry feels abandoned. His sisters kick him to the curb all day long.

He sort of stands there looking at it. He peeks around the corner. He can't just leave it there can he? Poor harmonium. Nobody wants it. It is just sitting there.

Barry takes the harmonium in.
Lena takes Barry in.

Abandonment is a major theme in all of PTA's works.

Yes, I understand. I said "at first". Across multiple viewings it works just fine. We were just trying to get to the bottom of the overall negative public reaction.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SHAFTR

I was on a trip home (about 5 hours) and I left late at night so that once it was midnight (monday night) I stopped at a 24 hour wal-mart.  I looked around for the dvd, couldn't find it...asked someone and they got it out of a box for me.  

I think this is the best packaging I have ever seen for a DVD, right up there with Pulp Fiction SE.  I love B&B extra but after watching the movie again I really wish there was commentary.  There are some things I would like to hear PTA talk about with the film.  The use of the lens flares (if that is the proper term), the harmonium, etc.

But the disc is still great.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"