something. that is true but no one .admits..

Started by NEON MERCURY, October 23, 2003, 07:03:19 PM

cine

Quote from: BankyEbert said that there wasnt a plot and you werent suppose to understand it

The inside of the DVD has clues to understanding the movies.  Is that just bullshit or is there really a coherent plot?  Every time i have watched it i just think most of the movie is a fucked up masturbating fantasy.  Is there more to it?
The clues are likely to inspire you to try to 'figure it out' as best as you can. But the reality is that this is clearly a surrealist picture. I remember Ebert saying this was an American surrealist film, but I sort of thought that was a given, since NOBODY could have actually 'solved' the film's puzzles without influencing some a debate with somebody about their beliefs on MD. Therefore, I feel its a purely surreal film. And for the record.. I don't feel Lynch is that great.. but the man sure doesn't suck. His brain is very active with creative concepts and his best films like MD, Elephant Man, and Straight Story prove that...

godardian

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: BankyEbert said that there wasnt a plot and you werent suppose to understand it

The inside of the DVD has clues to understanding the movies.  Is that just bullshit or is there really a coherent plot?  Every time i have watched it i just think most of the movie is a fucked up masturbating fantasy.  Is there more to it?
The clues are likely to inspire you to try to 'figure it out' as best as you can. But the reality is that this is clearly a surrealist picture. I remember Ebert saying this was an American surrealist film, but I sort of thought that was a given, since NOBODY could have actually 'solved' the film's puzzles without influencing some a debate with somebody about their beliefs on MD. Therefore, I feel its a purely surreal film. And for the record.. I don't feel Lynch is that great.. but the man sure doesn't suck. His brain is very active with creative concepts and his best films like MD, Elephant Man, and Straight Story prove that...

With Mulholland Drive, you really need to let go of the literal-minded notion of plot and think about what emotional sense it makes. I think it's probably Lynch's most emotional film, and it imparts some powerful things about human beings... and the movies.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ernie

Quote from: Find Your MagaliBut, then again, I love "Lucas"

Alright, Lucas! Don't be ashamed at all, that's a really great great great movie. I love your taste by the way, with My Boyfriend's Back (and didn't you say Can't Buy Me Love too?), that's great. It makes me feel less alone. Not that I like Con Air but I like movies that are thought to be as bad as Con Air is thought to be. I do love Lucas. Winona Ryder is a goddess.

Lynch is a really really really good filmmaker, no doubt in my mind. Just recently became a fan of Mulholland Drive, Wild At Heart makes me feel cool and hip...love it lots, The Elephant Man affected me in a way that few other films have, and Blue Velvet...it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be but it was good. I still really want to see Twin Peaks and The Straight Story...maybe Lost Highway too. He's still a great filmmaker even if I end up hating all three of those. Weird guy, great filmmaker.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: godardianI think it's probably Lynch's most emotional film, and it imparts some powerful things about human beings... and the movies.

Yes... human beings love masturbation...

godardian

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNick
Quote from: godardianI think it's probably Lynch's most emotional film, and it imparts some powerful things about human beings... and the movies.

Yes... human beings love masturbation...

Yeah... so? Are you saying that's what you think the movie was about???
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: ebeaman

Alright, Lucas! Don't be ashamed at all, that's a really great great great movie. I love your taste by the way, with My Boyfriend's Back (and didn't you say Can't Buy Me Love too?), that's great. It makes me feel less alone. Not that I like Con Air but I like movies that are thought to be as bad as Con Air is thought to be. I do love Lucas. Winona Ryder is a goddess.

1. I'm not ashamed of Lucas, not at all. It's a wonderful little film; a film full of perfect moments that rings more true about life and love in high school in the 80s than almost any other (Hughes included). ... Kerri Green was my goddess from that movie, by the way. (Does that make me Corey Haim? Hmmmm.)

2. Con-Air is just a fun popcorn flick, and I guess that makes it a guilty pleasure. I don't think any action film has ever been more self-aware of how ludicrous it is, while at the same time delivering all the action, excitement, one-liners and sappy moments that we crave.

3. Actually, I don't list "Can't Buy Me Love" among my favorites. I'm allergic to Patrick Dempsey and have to carry benadryl with me at all times.

4. As far as My Boyfriend's Back, it's the ultimate deadpan zombie comedy. And Philip Seymour Hoffman gets eaten. How could you not love it? It was just robbed at the Oscars.

Now back to this regularly scheduled David Lynch thread....

Pas

Lynch is the best director alive. Final. Zero of his movie are unperfect (even Dune). His paintings are wonderful. His philosphy is incredible. His wit is unchallengable. I've never been in disagreement with whatever he said, and you can point exemples of supposedly stupid things he said. I have a tendancy to automaticly love people who love him. I think when he'll die people will start regretting him.

Stanley Kurbick said if he could have made only one movie he didn't it would be Eraserhead.

And why the fuck should I need to defend DAVID LYNCH ?!?!

Screw everyone who thinks he's manipulative or that he tries not to make sense. That's just being ignorant.

Oh and Godardian, I missed you while you were away !  :kiss:

Ernie

Quote from: Find Your Magali

1. I'm not ashamed of Lucas, not at all. It's a wonderful little film; a film full of perfect moments that rings more true about life and love in high school in the 80s than almost any other (Hughes included)

Yea, but Hughes rules too, I love Hughes.

...Kerri Green was my goddess from that movie, by the way.

She was my goddess from Goonies moreso than Lucas. And Winona was more from Edward Scissorhands. Than there was Elisabeth Shue from Adventures in Babysitting. I could go on more too. The 80's was a beautiful movement in movies akin to the french new wave.

Getting back to Lynch, I'll say one thing I forgot to before: Hopkin's preformance in Elephant Man=better than preformance in Silence Of The Lambs. And I love Silence! It's one of the best thrillers ever made and definitely one of the best potrayals of a serial killer by Sir Anthony. But what he did in Elephant Man - that was something really important I think, that was something special. Maybe one of the 5 best preformances of all time imo.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickYes... human beings love masturbation...
whew....I am somewhat normal.... :wink:

Find Your Magali

Quote from: ebeaman(Kerri Green) was my goddess from Goonies moreso than Lucas. And Winona was more from Edward Scissorhands. Than there was Elisabeth Shue from Adventures in Babysitting. I could go on more too. The 80's was a beautiful movement in movies akin to the french new wave.

Nah, I'll take the Kerri Green in "Lucas" over the one in "The Goonies." ... Her "Lucas" character was smart and had depth. Her character in "The Goonies" was a ditzy, underwritten cliche.

And as for Elisabeth Shue ... sigh ... all I ever wanted to do was meet a cool, sassy, smart, soccer-loving girl like Ali in "The Karate Kid."

Sorry for getting away from Lynch AGAIN. Maybe we should kick off a "80s Movie Characters You Were Smitten With" thread...

Ernie

Quote from: Find Your MagaliSorry for getting away from Lynch AGAIN. Maybe we should kick off a "80s Movie Characters You Were Smitten With" thread...

We should really start an 80's movies board, seriously, just for an experiment. I could probably take any existing thread here and still be distracted by 80's nostalgia, whatever the topic is.

Think I might watch Mulholland Drive today. This thread has made me want to.

Pas

If you can go through the movie, your next step will be ... IRREVERSIBLE and the rape scene ! Mooouhhahahaha !

Sorry.

Ernie

Quote from: Pas Rapport

If you can go through the movie, your next step will be ... IRREVERSIBLE and the rape scene ! Mooouhhahahaha !

Oh, I've seen it once already. I was thinking about rewatching it. Mulholland Drive that is. I still do want to see Irreversible. I can't believe Blockbuster didn't have a rated version, I guess they didn't release one.

mutinyco

I think David Lynch is extremely talented. But I don't necessarily like all of his movies. I think at times he uses cliches or thin plotting to move along his strange visuals or themes. And I'm never sure whether he's using them BECAUSE they're cliches or because he thinks its good plotting.

But with Mulholland, it doesn't fit together into a neat narrative. That was the point -- even though the process from TV pilot to feature film is evident. He wanted to use images and sequences to create an experience for the viewer that didn't need to rely on plot. He was basically trying to obliterate the need for narrative.

Mulholland Drive is a status symbol. If you live on Mulholland you're probably part of the elite. It looks down on the inferno of LA from above. It's the difference between success and failure. It's also, like the movie, a twisted dangerous road that if you travel too quickly and carelessly you'll fall off of.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

molly

Quote from: NEON MERCURY....out of all of the directors that have thier own forum

ONLY DAVID LYNCH'S FILMS ARE THE LEAST CRITICIZED BY FANS, CRITICS, MEDIA, OR WHATEVER.   EVERY FILM THAT HE DIRECTED IS  GREAT TOO NEAR FLAWLESS.   HE IS THE BEST DIRECTOR POSSIBLY OUT THERE. HE IS WAY UNDER-RATED  AND NO ONE CAN SERIOUSLY  TALK SMACK ABOUT HIM.

I'm affraid the critics just don't want to look stupid, so what they do is pass a hot potato(I belive that's the way to say it).